Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla model S 2018 LED lights from RHD to LHD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As 2018 car’s have full LED lights then I would not be concerned. I would try to get similar pair so that the part numbers would not be that much apart. In previous models they used lower wattage discharge bulbs on the Xenon headlight’s for EU market just to avoid compulsory headlight washers installation. In US was 35W and in EU 25W bulbs.

As 2018 car’s have full LED lights then I would not be concerned. I would try to get similar pair so that the part numbers would not be that much apart. In previous models they used lower wattage discharge bulbs on the Xenon headlight’s for EU market just to avoid compulsory headlight washers installation. In US was 35W and in EU 25W bulbs.
Thanks for your information, everyday is a learning!
I found this thread and read interesting, Upgrading EU LED headlights to US spec
Hope I can use US one in EU without any issue.

Reactions: KalJoMoS
I mean, you have three revisions and all lights are interchangeable, however that’s the beam pattern which differs:
- On US cars beam is flat, often it is ok to register car in EU with front US headlights, also Lexus cars have flat pattern.
- RHD cars has beam biased to the left
- LHD cars has beam biased to the right

Reactions: akpray
So here is a quick update.
I got an import ITV today and failed.
- eBay & DIY Head lights passed
- Dragon tail rear tail and fog light as an alternative U.K. fog failed.

What I learnt is that the aftermarket parta not accepted for an import ITV(at least in Spain)
The only option left for me now is to replace both tail lights and harnesses. That’s more complicated than headlights DIY, so I’ll ask a garage. (Sigh)
Hope this helps someone.

So here is a quick update.
I got an import ITV today and failed.
- eBay & DIY Head lights passed
- Dragon tail rear tail and fog light as an alternative U.K. fog failed.

What I learnt is that the aftermarket parta not accepted for an import ITV(at least in Spain)
The only option left for me now is to replace both tail lights and harnesses. That’s more complicated than headlights DIY, so I’ll ask a garage. (Sigh)
Hope this helps someone.
I used dragon tail light to do wiring and actually purchased two bumper lights and connect fog to them. This is much brighter so should pass I hope…

I think he means these, but is it allowed to have dual fog light in UK?
I see, thanks! I am not sure if the bumper lights are considered equivalent to rear fog light in Spain....

I have been reading various official technical documents for the UK and EU models. What I found out is that the part numbers of the body controller, the body controller diagrams, and the harness for the liftgate lamp (where the rear fog LED and reverse LED are located) are all the same. From this, I have started to think that perhaps simply replacing the liftgate lamp might solve the issue. However, one thing I am unsure about is whether software changes are necessary. There are people who have brought US models to the EU, and they have enabled the "euvehicle" option using a toolbox. I am not sure if such a step is necessary or if the UK is included in the EU, and that is the point I am uncertain about right now.

FYI
Body controller (ES) 1010907-00-G
Parts Catalog

Body controller (UK) 1010907-00-G
Parts Catalog

Diagram (LHD) página 29
https://service.tesla.com/docs/Mode...e2012/s-lhd-sop11/2018.1_ModelS-LHD-SOP11.pdf

Diagram (RHD) página 29
https://service.tesla.com/docs/ModelS/ElectricalReference2012/s-rhd-sop12/2019.1_ModelS-SOP12.pdf

Last edited: