Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Converting UK Lights To EU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It may be of use to people to be aware there appears to have been an undocumented change in behaviour in a recent update. When driving in Europe, the car apparently now recognises it’s in a LHD country and flips the lights over so the uptick is on the right. A brief notification pops up on the screen to confirm this. A couple of people have confirmed this behaviour on the .44 / Christmas update threads.
It’s always done this, the undocumented part of the change is it now actually pops up a message when it does it. It used to just happen silently.

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: drewpost and Durzel
It may be of use to people to be aware there appears to have been an undocumented change in behaviour in a recent update. When driving in Europe, the car apparently now recognises it’s in a LHD country and flips the lights over so the uptick is on the right. A brief notification pops up on the screen to confirm this. A couple of people have confirmed this behaviour on the .44 / Christmas update threads.
Yes, I can also confirm it has changed. It was a pleasant surprise when we started on our trip and entered France rather late on Friday.

It’s always done this, the undocumented part of the change is it now actually pops up a message when it does it. It used to just happen silently.
It most certainly has not always done this. I’ve done various EU trips and there’s been no change in the lights. During my last, extended trip during the summer I ended up having to manually adjust the lights as the uptick on the left was blinding oncoming drivers.

Oh nice, does anyone know if this also works for model S please?

It was introduced sometime before .44 as I was recently pleasantly surprised by this behaviour when on the previous version when visiting France.

Reactions: Cardo
It was introduced sometime before .44 as I was recently pleasantly surprised by this behaviour when on the previous version when visiting France.
All I know is the behaviour changed sometime between September and the Christmas update! I’m surprised it wasn’t documented in an update, though. My guess is this wasn’t done with just the UK in mind (we’re pretty much the only group of people that vaguely regularly drive on the opposite side of the road to our norm). My thinking is, bearing in mind the headlights are fully configurable and there’s no physical difference between RHD and LHD cars, Tesla decided rather than hardcoding the car with RHD/LHD lights, they instead use the data they already have for AP where the car knows what side of the road to drive on and sets the lights to that. I’d imagine it took someone minutes to code the behaviour. It could also be a precursor to active matrix lights, but I shan’t hold my breath!

Reactions: TechnoWatch
Alas, don’t know. I guess it depends on whether the car has the LED matrix headlights where the beam can be adjusted in software. I’d imagine early cars with fixed lights won’t, however later models probably can?
Ah I see, in that case I will speak with Tesla UK, maybe they will be able to adjust it for me before I decide to take her abroad permanently (eventually). Car does not have matrix ones as it is mid 2018 model

Hi, does anyone know if this is the same for a 2022 Model Y? I was consistently getting flashed by oncoming cars in France last summer.