Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S frunk opened while driving blocking a view of the road

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2014 Tesla model S (VIN 5YJSB7H12FFP72826) had the front bonnet Frunk open while driving and block the view of the road with no warning message. Tesla refuse to fix the problem as good will and claim it is wear and tear and not their responsibility.

Tesla say that the VIN was not part of the recall. Hard to believe given that the frunk continues to lock as normal and there is no obvious evidence that the secondary latch isn't working. Apparently, the only way to tell that the secondary latch has failed is to release the bonnet, drive the car slowly and have a second person walk beside the car and attempt to open the bonnet. So how is anyone meant to know that the secondary latch isn't working? Also, how can the primary latch release while driving, but then subsequently continue to work as normal? Is this a software bug?

Tesla has not inspected the car and refuse to do anything without payment. I have refused to pay out of principle as there could have been a multiple car pileup. Tesla say that if there had been an accident, it would not have been their fault. Could that possibly be true?

I have sent two emails complaining to Tesla, and so far there has not been a response after a week of waiting. Nobody seems to care.

That is very bad. Glad you didn't crash. Whatever happens, report this to the UK Auto Safety folks that evaluate safety issues for recalls, etc. Hope you get this settled quickly.
Surprisingly, the DVLA responsible for road safety mistakenly think that this is wear and tear that should be picked up during the MOT vehicle inspection. I think this is the line that has been fed to them by Tesla. There is no way of detecting the failure of the secondary latch. And it's almost certainly software or a circuit failure that results in the primary latch releasing while the vehicle is in motion. On most other vehicles the secondary latch is a mechanical device under the bonnet that you pull to one side in order to release the bonnet. On the Tesla Model S, you can't tell that the latch has failed. Despite all the vehicle inspections every time I have visited a Tesla workshop, they never picked up on the fault. This is hugely dangerous.

Reactions: DerbyDave
Open frunk, put car in drive and back in P. If latch does not work, you should be able to open the lid.
But the older Model S has two hooks for the latch, and is not included in recall. So wear and tear sounds like it could be true. Also, lubricate the latches, I know on mine 2014 they were rusty and dirty, and would not move smooth anymore, so it could be the secondary does not close anymore because rust and dirt build up.

Thanks. The frunk opens when I try your test. It's bad that the car can't tell that the second latch has failed. (But I can see it move when I press the open button which is located in the frunk). There could be hundreds of cars out there that have the fault, but nobody knows about it. Over the years, every door handle has been replaced twice, including the boot lock. This doesn't give me any confidence in the frunk locks.
Also, how did the primary frunk lock release while driving ?

This does sound scary. I wouldn't want to drive it until I had it fixed. My guess is the worse case, a bad latch isn't going to cost that much. Parts fail, including sometimes critical parts on all cars. When in warranty, the manufacturer fixes it. Out of warranty, it's the owner's responsibility. Been in the forums for over 9 years TMC and Tesla's now-defunct forums, and never heard of anyone else with the issue, but I could have missed it. It sounds like a one-off failure and not a design defect. If there are others with the same problem, perhaps they will show up in this thread. If you got a lot of people with the same issue, then it could be a design defect that requires a recall. All of that will take a long time to sort out and meanwhile, you're driving with a compromised car you knowingly will not fix. If you do have Tesla fix it, and in a year or two there is a recall, you could ask to be reimbursed for your expenses. I hope you'll consider getting it fixed soon for your own safety, even if you have to pay for it.

Reactions: Rice&Curry
According to Tesla, it's the placement of the secondary latch that is the problem, i.e. that it has been installed too far back to engage. Not sure how they address this -- repositioning same latch with new holes, or installing a new latch with a longer tongue?

Thanks. The frunk opens when I try your test. It's bad that the car can't tell that the second latch has failed. (But I can see it move when I press the open button which is located in the frunk). There could be hundreds of cars out there that have the fault, but nobody knows about it. Over the years, every door handle has been replaced twice, including the boot lock. This doesn't give me any confidence in the frunk locks.
Also, how did the primary frunk lock release while driving ?
Tesla replaced the secondary latch today. Just tried your test again, but the trunk still opens as before. Either the fault still exists, or your testing methodology is wrong?

On my 2020, if you press to OPEN frunk, it pops slightly open. If you do not lift up the frunk past the secondary latch, which intially is opened and unlocked for 5 minutes, it will lock in the postion of just being popped with the secondary latch. This is how you can test the secondary latch. However, it is a bear to get it out of this position by crushing your fingers to slide in and manually move the secondary latch out of the way. There are youtube videos to guide you through this process. This emergency opening process was the only thing the Tesla folks showed me whn I received my new Tesla, and I am glad they did since I have made the mistake of not completing the opening process before the latch locks the frunk in a popped position.