Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk fails to unlatch consistently

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My '22 MS LR picked up 9/22 had this issue within the first few months. At first a few tries, after closing and opening from the app while standing right in front of the car would let the hood open. Quickly, it progressed to the 2nd latch point never releasing. I did ask on TMC and was advised to stick something in the back of the latch to "unhook"it but this seems to be the case with an older design. It did not work for my case. Tesla mobile came and took apart the front of the car to some extent in replacing the latch mechanism. This worked for about a year but I don't use the frunk except when valet parking and I have valuables I don't want to take with me. Also, I keep my charging cable and adapters in the frunk so may need them on a trip.

Recently, the same situation arose. This time I needed at least 5 tries so the 2nd latch released and I was able to open the hood. Is this a common problem? I imagine this is no longer covered under warranty. Are there any tricks to open the hood with this newer version of the MS?

My '22 MS LR picked up 9/22 had this issue within the first few months. At first a few tries, after closing and opening from the app while standing right in front of the car would let the hood open. Quickly, it progressed to the 2nd latch point never releasing. I did ask on TMC and was advised to stick something in the back of the latch to "unhook"it but this seems to be the case with an older design. It did not work for my case. Tesla mobile came and took apart the front of the car to some extent in replacing the latch mechanism. This worked for about a year but I don't use the frunk except when valet parking and I have valuables I don't want to take with me. Also, I keep my charging cable and adapters in the frunk so may need them on a trip.

Recently, the same situation arose. This time I needed at least 5 tries so the 2nd latch released and I was able to open the hood. Is this a common problem? I imagine this is no longer covered under warranty. Are there any tricks to open the hood with this newer version of the MS?
Has anyone tried some lubricant on the mechanical components?

Reactions: Powerslave
Has you car been recalled for this issue?
"Tesla will handle the latest recall by inspecting the frunk lid's secondary latch lock. If the locking system isn't functioning properly and keeping the frunk lid closed when the primary lock is released while the car is in motion, Tesla will reposition and reinstall the secondary latch with the proper alignment. Both the inspection and repair will be performed free of charge."

"Tesla will handle the latest recall by inspecting the frunk lid's secondary latch lock. If the locking system isn't functioning properly and keeping the frunk lid closed when the primary lock is released while the car is in motion, Tesla will reposition and reinstall the secondary latch with the proper alignment. Both the inspection and repair will be performed free of charge."
I haven't received any recall notice either with mail or email. Come to think of it, I do open or attempt to open the frunk every 3 to 4 weeks when I wash my car, open the hood to dry everything off and to clean out all the leaves/pine needles that have accumulated.

Reactions: DerbyDave
That recall addresses an issue where the frunk could open while driving, not the same issue reported by the OP. I had that recall inspection done for my previous Model S — they had me put the car in Drive and they tried to open the frunk (unsuccessfully), and that was all.

That recall addresses an issue where the frunk could open while driving, not the same issue reported by the OP. I had that recall inspection done for my previous Model S — they had me put the car in Drive and they tried to open the frunk (unsuccessfully), and that was all.
True, but the OP is having issues with the secondary latch, and the recall indicated the secondary latch is not positioned correctly (just what the OP is experiencing), and the recall was expanded to include more vehicles. Perhaps the secondary latch is not positioned correctly?

You know the old saying that goes "I have good news and bad news for you".

Well, the good news is that I happened to see this post a day ago.

The bad news is a couple hours ago I went to open the frunk for maybe the second or third time ever on my three week old 2023 MS LR and now find that the secondary latch will not release.

I guess I now know what the first warranty repair is that I'll need to have done on my brand new Model S. :-((

I have this same issue on my 2022 MS LR. Hood opens, but does not unlatch. This happens intermittently. Just took it in 4th time; They changed everything they could, but the issue persist. I was told that they may have to replace the hood. Did anyone get this resolved?

I have this same issue on a '23 MSP. While I was there, there was another MS driver who had the same issue.

They "resolved" it, but truthfully I don't use the frunk enough. I haven't popped it in a while.

The only thing that works consistently for me, is to immediately pull up as soon as I hit the button in the app, and that seems to allow me to open it. I did use some lithium grease on the latch itself, but it didn't do much for me.

I have this same issue on a '23 MSP. While I was there, there was another MS driver who had the same issue.

They "resolved" it, but truthfully I don't use the frunk enough. I haven't popped it in a while.

The only thing that works consistently for me, is to immediately pull up as soon as I hit the button in the app, and that seems to allow me to open it. I did use some lithium grease on the latch itself, but it didn't do much for me.
It is normal for the frunk to latch in a popped position if you do not fully open it within a few minutes after pressing the open button. This happened to me on the day of delivery. I popped the trunk for inspection, but did not open it soon enough. The Tesla guy said to me that it was good the half-latched hood happened, because it would definitely happen to me during my ownership. He showed me how to open it by squeezing my hand under the hood until I could feel the latch. Then put you fingers down into the latch hole until you feel the latch lock . You must the press down on the hood squishing you hand while pushing to the left on the latch lock as it is slightly curved, and the depressed hood must clear the curved mechanism. Viola! I'll post a link to a YouTube video shiwing this in a few hours when I can search for it.

I had about the same issue on my ’23 MSP.

I had this issue from the delivery. Worked once on the delivery when I checked the car, from that time it alwas stayed in the safety lock (a bit open).

Holding the frunk and pulling upwards at the same time as using the app to make it open electrically always worked when I had this trouble. Pulling to loose or slow could make it stay in the half opened locked position.

According to Tedla it was never a texhnical fault but only a adjustment issue.
It took two tries for Tesla to fix it. Mobile service made it work once, just like st the delivery.
Visiting the Servicecenter made it work, and still works.

It seems like the lock demands a very precise adjustment to work in both warm and cold. Maybe a construction that should be better.

Here is the YouTube link. Note that the half popped and locked frunk process starts about 1:50 into the video. I think the emergency hood release method has changed from the described two emergency release cables in the front wheel wells on the 2021+ model S, but evidently the half popped hood issue remains.

Last edited:
Mobile service came and fixed it again, this time by adjusting the latch position. Hopefully it stays operational. I did learn one thing though; if the hood doesn't open successfully, no need to close it in order to push the open button again. With the hood released from the first release point, just rapidly and repeatedly push the open button until 2nd latch eventually releases. In my case, 5 or 6 quick, successive pushes allowed the hood to be fully opened.