Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S - Tire Size question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I have a 2017 P100D and have the staggered 21" wheels.

Has anyone tried to increase the sidewall of the tire from 35 to 40 on the 21" turbine rims?

I would like a little more tire height, driving on LA roads is rough and lots of rim and tire damage...

Thank you

Don't know what "staggered" means, but my tires are 19s, so it would seem that if you're running 21s, you have an inch less of sidewall between the rim and the tread. Of course you can't possibly run the standard rims, so of course again, you'll get tire and rim damage. It was your choice. In my experience, the OEM tires and rims are quite good at running over pot holes, curbs, etc. So it's either look cool, or look smart.

• Disagree
Reactions: ucmndd
Don't know what "staggered" means, but my tires are 19s, so it would seem that if you're running 21s, you have an inch less of sidewall between the rim and the tread. Of course you can't possibly run the standard rims, so of course again, you'll get tire and rim damage. It was your choice. In my experience, the OEM tires and rims are quite good at running over pot holes, curbs, etc. So it's either look cool, or look smart.
Hi Rob,

The rims and tires on my car are standard from Tesla. 35 is the standard sidewall height so I want to try and put 40 on the standard rims.

Staggered means that the rims in the rear are wider than the rims on the front. Again, all standard Tesla rims and tires for their performance vehicles.

Hi,

I have a 2017 P100D and have the staggered 21" wheels.

Has anyone tried to increase the sidewall of the tire from 35 to 40 on the 21" turbine rims?

I would like a little more tire height, driving on LA roads is rough and lots of rim and tire damage...

Thank you
Use a tool like this to figure out if you can or not as the tool will calculate the overall diameter and so long as you stay within +/- 5% of the OEM dimensions, you should be fine.

Tire Size Calculator

Why not buy a used set of 19s on marketplace/craigslist/ebay? I see them often for under $800 and usually with tires. Everyone loves the aesthetics of the bigger wheels but the reliability tradeoff is significant.

Reactions: Smc171
Why not buy a used set of 19s on marketplace/craigslist/ebay? I see them often for under $800 and usually with tires. Everyone loves the aesthetics of the bigger wheels but the reliability tradeoff is significant.
Thank you, I would prefer to keep these original large rims, I much prefer the look of them. But you are right, the tradeoff between comfort and style is pretty big.

I am just hoping some 40 sidewalls will fit and that someone has done so and can provide advice on the matter.

Thank you, I would prefer to keep these original large rims, I much prefer the look of them. But you are right, the tradeoff between comfort and style is pretty big.

I am just hoping some 40 sidewalls will fit and that someone has done so and can provide advice on the matter.
The tire size calculater I mentioned above will answer your question

by getting bigger tires (35 to 40 ratio change) you're changing the overall circumference and diameter of the tire. prob about an inch in diameter which makes for less revolutions. so your car would report the wrong speed.

Also remember the 2nd number in the tire size isnt a measurement its a RATIO so on one tire it might be 4in but on another tire it might be 7in but both are a 40. Unlike the first and last numbers those are actual measurements 265/35/21 = width in mm/aspect ratio (height/width)/rim size.

The easiest solution is to just buy 19's or smaller the biggest thing to remember when shopping for different tire sizes you need to note the rev per mile if its too much less than stock it throws the speed and millage off. You say the stock rims are your ideal look but like i have the 21 turbines on mine but they make a 19 turbine so it looks the same.

Reactions: Smc171

Get 10mm wider tires. It will increase the sidewall height by 3.5mm and give your rims some curb protection.