Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tires with sidewall?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there, while I didn’t get as many miles as I had hoped, it’s time to replace my factory tires on my 2022 model 3. I definitely want something with a little sidewall because my wife and I have dinged up our aero wheels quite a bit since the factory Michelins have NO sidewall at all. Willing to give up a little rolling resistance in exchange for a wider tire that will better protect my wheel rims. What do folks recommend out there?? Thank you!!

I have 18" wheels and Michelin Defender 2 tires (downsized from 20" wheels on my 2018 Performance Model 3 for better ride quality and less pothole damage worry). The tires ride very nice and have a 60K mileage warranty. I'm on track to get that many miles on this set of tires. Highly recommended.

Check the all-weather tires Vredestein Quatrac Pro EV, 235/45 R18 98W XL EV. That's what they are called in Germany, may be slightly differently named elsewhere. The have a prominent side protection rim and are good in other respects too. Quiet, low rolling resistance, good grip on wet and wintery roads, still pretty good in summer.

245/45R18 Michelin PS5 on my M3P. Made a world of difference on potholes! And I don't find them noisy at all. I have them on a set of Japan Racing JR SL01 18x8 5x114,3 ET34 Matt Black rims and I am extremely happy. They are lightweight, they fit the performance brake calipers easily and it is virtually impossible to scratch the rims on curbs! I would not mind 235/45R18 either, for a more stock-like setup.

Another option, as previously said, is 255/35R20 on the stock Performance rims. They last longer too because the rubber is thicker! If by any chance the tire is too big and touches on the bracket, you just add a very very thin spacer such as Japan Racing WS1-3.5MM-5H-69S-TE. Very rare to need spacer, but ultimately depends on the tire brand. Michelin PS4S and PS5 are fine AFAIK.