Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Long Range v Rear Whee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also what’s the reason for Tesla releasing a rear wheel drive Y other than to make it more affordable in the European market? Surely if they wanted to make something functional it should’ve been a front wheel drive Y? Just don’t get the logic here. Plus it inflates the pool of Ys on the road which makes me sad.

Surely if they wanted to make something functional it should’ve been a front wheel drive Y? Just don’t get the logic here.
Since an EV does not have the drive train packaging constraints of an ICE car, other than driving on snow (when ideally you should be using winter tyres anyway) there are no advantages to front wheel drive. Balance, dynamics, steering and traction are all better with rear wheel drive.

I could be wrong, if I remember correctly, but what I'm saying is it normally defaults to rear wheel drive as it is.
Correct. On the LR or Performance models, the rear drive unit is a more efficient permanent magnet motor and so always on, while the front drive unit is a less efficient induction motor that can be turned on or off. Most of the time, the front drive unit is just freewheeling, and is only activated when needed – for instance, hard accelerations, or loss of traction at the rear wheels. Rear drive dominance is as it should be for an EV. Given that electric motors offer high torque, putting all the drive through only the front wheels is only a good idea if you are a fan of torque steer...

I get the rear wheel drive point in terms of superior driving mechanics (used to own an RX7 and M3) but what I don’t get is why have another Model Y which offers it? I see that the 3 offers it as well.

I mean do people really want a rear wheel that bad in a family car? Seems like people buying this (and the equivalent 3) will want to because it’ll be slightly newer than the LR and will cost £6k less - that’s the real selling point…

As the S is the superior performance car, why don’t they offer the rear wheel drive in that?

Last edited: