Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Missing Door Unlatching Functionality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently purchased a 2024 Tesla Model Y Long Range (MYLG), and I’ve encountered a few limitations with the current door unlatching functionality:

1. Tesla Touchscreen Limitation: The vehicle's touchscreen does not have the ability to unlatch passenger doors.
  2. Tesla App Limitations: The official Tesla app on my Samsung phone cannot unlatch doors other than the driver’s door, and it is not supported on my Samsung watch.
  3. Third-Party App Advantage: A third-party app, Tessie, can unlatch every door individually or all four simultaneously, demonstrating that it is possible to control the doors through software.

Questions for Discussion:​

1. Why does the official Tesla app have fewer door unlatching options compared to the Tessie app?
  2. Is there a way to enable door unlatching from the Tesla touchscreen, perhaps by creating a shortcut or using a web browser workaround?

Generic answer is that omission of deliverable functionality is often a deliberate choice: why present something to the user when there's no useful purpose to it? You add clutter to the UI for no particular advantage.

Personally speaking even the drivers door unlatch feature seems pointless to me. It's not actually opening up the door remotely. I have to use the door handle to pull the door open, which already unlatches the striker, so what's the point in commanding my phone to unlatch it?

Having a passenger door unlatch would be hell handy for all us fare carrying types. It is a royal pain to have to put it in park for people to get in.

No reason that it can't be linked to the brake being pressed and halted. Foot off brake equals park engaged right away if door is anything but shut.

I reckon that is why the ubers get shagged door handles. The instant you pull up they are at the door handles and yanking.

This is for Winter time... and it's great. The handles get frozen easily, but you can use the app to pop the door and not even use the handle.

I can see that in certain window of conditions. Most of the time here when the handles are frozen, so are the windows, and on my 3 if the windows are frozen (from lowering slightly during unlatch), you wouldnt want to open the door because the top edge of the window rubs against the trim