Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla OEM PPF install help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

I'm a new member here, wondering if anyone can help me.
I purchased the Tesla OEM PPF for the bottom rear door and installed it yesterday.
No matter what I did I kept getting the result below. Is this normal and would it go away over time?
Or did I mess it up? If so, is there any way to fix this using the same PPF?
Any advice will help.
Thank you in advance.

Jun

20230227_205050173_iOS.jpg
20230227_205108975_iOS.jpg

I followed the instructions and used 15% and 85%. I didn’t have baby shampoo so I used dawn dish soap.
I didn’t touch the side that goes on the car either so Im sure its not my finger print.
The ppf did move around alot when I was installing it so Im starting to think its maybe the adhesive and I didn’t apply enough solution.
Ill let it dry for a week and see how it goes. I really hope I don’t have to buy it again.

Upvote 0
I followed the instructions and used 15% and 85%. I didn’t have baby shampoo so I used dawn dish soap.
I didn’t touch the side that goes on the car either so Im sure its not my finger print.
The ppf did move around alot when I was installing it so Im starting to think its maybe the adhesive and I didn’t apply enough solution.
Ill let it dry for a week and see how it goes. I really hope I don’t have to buy it again.
The exact same thing happened to me when I installed mine. I used dawn also on the suggestion of someone else, and I think using a 15% to 85% ratio was way too much soap and created too many "suds.". I also got those white "blots" inside the film when I installed mine and they did not go away after leaving the car in the sun for a couple of day. I couldn't stand how it looked anymore so I pulled them off and ordered new ones. This time I used the baby shampoo as instructed and it turned out great. I think the spots are due to the excess soap suds that dries on the underside of the film. I just chalked it up to a $50 mistake and learning experience.

Upvote 0
Dish detergent has very strong cleaners and can strip wax from automotive surfaces. Baby shampoo is very mild which is why it is recommended and preferred. The idea to use it very liberally is so you can move it and slide it into place. Don’t like the position? Spray more on all surfaces, move it again. Once you’re happy with it is when you start squeegee’ing it out.

But yes, luckily it’s a small piece and easily replaced… good luck OP

Reactions: jr_gn
Upvote 0
The exact same thing happened to me when I installed mine. I used dawn also on the suggestion of someone else, and I think using a 15% to 85% ratio was way too much soap and created too many "suds.". I also got those white "blots" inside the film when I installed mine and they did not go away after leaving the car in the sun for a couple of day. I couldn't stand how it looked anymore so I pulled them off and ordered new ones. This time I used the baby shampoo as instructed and it turned out great. I think the spots are due to the excess soap suds that dries on the underside of the film. I just chalked it up to a $50 mistake and learning experience.
Thank you for the advice! I think I'm going to reorder it. I didn't install the other side because I saw this happen. Let me try baby shampoo on the other side with the one PPF I have left. If it does the same thing with baby shampoo, I think I will have the guys who did my front PPF install the new one.

Upvote 0
Dish detergent has very strong cleaners and can strip wax from automotive surfaces. Baby shampoo is very mild which is why it is recommended and preferred. The idea to use it very liberally is so you can move it and slide it into place. Don’t like the position? Spray more on all surfaces, move it again. Once you’re happy with it is when you start squeegee’ing it out.

But yes, luckily it’s a small piece and easily replaced… good luck OP
Yes, it seems that Dawn dish soap was a bad idea or 15% / 85% was too much soap. It kept moving when I was squeegeeing it too so I couldn't really position it. I will try the baby shampoo and keep everyone posted.

Reactions: karkrazy
Upvote 0