Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Official Statement on Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So the real numbers are false numbers impression of real numbers.

Not exactly, though sort of I suppose. 256Wh/rmi with the 79.2kWh measured during the test will give you about 310 rated miles.

But for whatever reason they decided to lower the numbers used to 76kWh and 245Wh/rmi. It seems that most/all people start with well above 76kWh, so in theory it is fine, even though 245Wh/rmi is low.

More recently, the rated consumption constant from the test and what they use seem better aligned, though.

Interesting, I wasn’t aware the epa numbers included charging losses.

Does anyone have the EPA test reports for the 2018 AWD LR Model 3?

This link no longer works, and I'm wondering if they ever tested the AWD or simply accepted the RWD numbers...
Transportation, Air Pollution, and Climate Change | US EPA

On a related note, the Tesla Range Table - Teslike.com table is great, but i wish it listed the wh/mi values it was based on, since as this conversation suggests I feel the 'rated' wh/mi are unrealistic for the AWD models.

I drove a 2016 s75 for two years, and found the rated range to be very close to actual range, hence my slight disappointment.

(AlanSubie, i appreciate the 250-mile-range comment in your Signature! You've already come to terms with this I see.)

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
My Roadster "hides" about 25 extra reserve miles. Doesn't show you have that until you switch to range mode.
Does the Model 3 have a similar reserve that can be shown from someplace in the screen menus? I ask so I can advise
a non technical friend with an M3. She was down to what she thinks was the last 20 miles getting back home from a trip.
I'm guessing she had a bit more if there is a reserve.
Thanks!

Does the Model 3 have a similar reserve that can be shown from someplace in the screen menus? I ask so I can advise
a non technical friend with an M3. She was down to what she thinks was the last 20 miles getting back home from a trip.
I'm guessing she had a bit more if there is a reserve.

4.5% of the full pack capacity is below the 0 rated miles indicator. However, I do not recommend attempting to use it. The car must be operated at very low power output and could shut down at any time. Being able to use the full 3+ kWh of energy is not guaranteed. There are numerous videos of people exhausting this buffer, though - but under very controlled circumstances, which is a big "but."

Reactions: Bobfitz1
4.5% of the full pack capacity is below the 0 rated miles indicator. However, I do not recommend attempting to use it. The car must be operated at very low power output and could shut down at any time. Being able to use the full 3+ kWh of energy is not guaranteed. There are numerous videos of people exhausting this buffer, though - but under very controlled circumstances, which is a big "but."
Yeah..as someone who regularly pushes the 5% mark and has drove down to 0% the car goes into sloth mode and any it’s like walking on eggshells with cleats on as you don’t want to shock/sag the discharge into “shutting off” territory.

Thanks for the info and advice Alan. I just had a look at the Range tables on Teslike.com and was surprised at how much M3 range can be stretched by slowing down from 65/70 to 55. I've only taken the Roadster on a handful of long trips, but I have experienced how the range can be stretched in a pinch if you slow down to 50/55 when you still have a decent amount of range left in the battery.

Even in San diego, the temperatures you call "moderate" have a REAL effect on range and power usage. Your wh/mi is likely much higher now than it will be in march (and yes, I know the temperatures out here as I am out here too).

My wh/mi from december to march or so is around 300-310 in my model 3p, and driving in the EXACT Same manner, over the EXACT same roads, at the EXACT same times (commute to work and back) I average around 260 wh/mi starting around the end of march. Weather matters everywhere, even here in san diego.

You will get much better range starting in march. I bought my car in dec of 2018 and was a bit frustrated with winter range too, because I thought "its san diego, it aint that cold" but the batteries need to be a certain temp. I drive 40 miles to work every day, and my car starts with a 90% charge... and the "regen dots" are not gone until I am 3/4 of the way to work.
Thanks jjrandorin - with the warmer weather recently (and using climate control less), I've been getting about 100% of the range. Yay! Feeling more optimistic. - Emily

Tesla has put out a support statement on range, and it was highlighted in the tesla app this morning (with a link in the messages).

Since many new owners go to the internet and come to sites like this one to find out about range, and if there is something "wrong" with their car because they are not getting the 250/260/310/322 miles promised, I thought it would be a good thing to have tesla's official statements here. You can currently find this information at the following site: Range

Since sometimes people dont like to click links, I have copy pasted the contents of the above link below:

===========================================

Range

Tesla cars travel farther on a single charge than any other production electric vehicle on the market. You can view the range of your car on your touchscreen or in the Tesla app. Your Tesla continuously monitors its energy level and proximity to known charging locations to provide range assurance.

The estimated range depends heavily on factors such as driving habits, elevation changes and weather conditions. To maximize efficiency, it is important to know the factors that impact range and the recommended ways to reduce energy consumption.

What Impacts Energy Consumption?
Like all cars, there are a number of factors that increase energy consumption and reduce range:

• High driving speeds
  • High cabin air conditioning or heating usage
  • Low ambient temperatures
  • Inclement weather such as rain, snow and headwinds
  • Stop-and-go driving
  • Short trips
  • Uphill travel
Driving while your battery is very cold or charged above 90% can also impact range due to limited regenerative braking. This reduces the amount of energy that can be transferred back into your battery.

To see real-time and projected energy use, open the Energy app on your touchscreen. The Energy app provides feedback on how your driving habits are impacting the expected range of your vehicle and tracks your usage.

Recommendations to Maximize Range
To maximize the range of your Tesla:

• Maintain your vehicle's tire pressures. Inflation recommendations are listed inside the drivers-side door jamb.
  • Remove unnecessary cargo to lighten your load – more weight requires more energy to move the vehicle.
  • Remove roof racks or rear racks when they are not in use.
  • Reduce aerodynamic drag. Fully raise all windows and change air suspension (if equipped) to “Low” or “Very Low” when driving at highway speeds, For Model 3 cars with aero wheels, install aero wheel covers.
  • Avoid frequent and rapid acceleration. Driving at high speeds or rapidly accelerating uses additional energy.
  • Limit the use of resources such as heating, signature lighting and air conditioning.
  • Set your Regenerative Braking to “Standard” to maximize energy you get back while decelerating.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is my displayed estimated range decreasing faster than miles driven?

The range displayed is not adapted based on driving pattern or other factors that impact range. When fully charged, the driving range displayed is based on regulating agency certification (Environmental Protection Agency - EPA). To view estimated range based on average consumption, open the Energy app.

After charging is completed, why is the estimated range less than expected?
It is normal for range to decrease slightly over the first few months but then begin to level off. Over time, you may see a gradual, but natural, decrease in range at full charge depending on factors such as Supercharging regularly or the mileage and age of the battery. Your Tesla will inform you if a hardware issue is causing excessive battery or range degradation.

Why does estimated range decrease overnight while my car is off?
It is expected for a Tesla car to consume around 1% of charge per day while parked. In some cases, you may notice that consumption is higher. We recommend deactivating features such as preconditioning, Sentry Mode, Keep Climate On, and any aftermarket equipment when not needed.

Note: Aftermarket equipment connected to the 12V system and/or third party mobile applications which collect data about your vehicle can decrease range while parked and reduce the battery lifespan. Tesla does not recommend using aftermarket equipment, and any damage to your vehicle's hardware or software resulting from unauthorized access to vehicle data through non-Tesla parts or accessories is not covered by warranty.

What is Range Mode?
In Model S and Model X, Range Mode conserves energy by limiting the power of the climate control system. For more visit our New Owner Frequently Asked Questions.

Does outside temperature impact range?
Yes. Range can be impacted by extreme cold or hot temperatures; however, the impact will seem far more noticeable in cold weather. Tesla high voltage batteries are regulated to keep the battery temperature within optimal boundaries. Even if the vehicle is not being operated, the high voltage battery temperature is monitored and regulated to prolong its lifespan and performance – this is why you may notice the compressor running even while parked. See our Winter Driving Tips for more information.
I totally disagree with your statement about Tesla fudging their numbers. Your claims has no facts and is just your opinion and frustration against Tesla. Go to epa and see how they get these numbers and see how it backs up your crazy claims.
Tesla has put out a support statement on range, and it was highlighted in the tesla app this morning (with a link in the messages).

Since many new owners go to the internet and come to sites like this one to find out about range, and if there is something "wrong" with their car because they are not getting the 250/260/310/322 miles promised, I thought it would be a good thing to have tesla's official statements here. You can currently find this information at the following site: Range

Since sometimes people dont like to click links, I have copy pasted the contents of the above link below:

===========================================

Range

Tesla cars travel farther on a single charge than any other production electric vehicle on the market. You can view the range of your car on your touchscreen or in the Tesla app. Your Tesla continuously monitors its energy level and proximity to known charging locations to provide range assurance.

The estimated range depends heavily on factors such as driving habits, elevation changes and weather conditions. To maximize efficiency, it is important to know the factors that impact range and the recommended ways to reduce energy consumption.

What Impacts Energy Consumption?
Like all cars, there are a number of factors that increase energy consumption and reduce range:

• High driving speeds
  • High cabin air conditioning or heating usage
  • Low ambient temperatures
  • Inclement weather such as rain, snow and headwinds
  • Stop-and-go driving
  • Short trips
  • Uphill travel
Driving while your battery is very cold or charged above 90% can also impact range due to limited regenerative braking. This reduces the amount of energy that can be transferred back into your battery.

To see real-time and projected energy use, open the Energy app on your touchscreen. The Energy app provides feedback on how your driving habits are impacting the expected range of your vehicle and tracks your usage.

Recommendations to Maximize Range
To maximize the range of your Tesla:

• Maintain your vehicle's tire pressures. Inflation recommendations are listed inside the drivers-side door jamb.
  • Remove unnecessary cargo to lighten your load – more weight requires more energy to move the vehicle.
  • Remove roof racks or rear racks when they are not in use.
  • Reduce aerodynamic drag. Fully raise all windows and change air suspension (if equipped) to “Low” or “Very Low” when driving at highway speeds, For Model 3 cars with aero wheels, install aero wheel covers.
  • Avoid frequent and rapid acceleration. Driving at high speeds or rapidly accelerating uses additional energy.
  • Limit the use of resources such as heating, signature lighting and air conditioning.
  • Set your Regenerative Braking to “Standard” to maximize energy you get back while decelerating.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is my displayed estimated range decreasing faster than miles driven?

The range displayed is not adapted based on driving pattern or other factors that impact range. When fully charged, the driving range displayed is based on regulating agency certification (Environmental Protection Agency - EPA). To view estimated range based on average consumption, open the Energy app.

After charging is completed, why is the estimated range less than expected?
It is normal for range to decrease slightly over the first few months but then begin to level off. Over time, you may see a gradual, but natural, decrease in range at full charge depending on factors such as Supercharging regularly or the mileage and age of the battery. Your Tesla will inform you if a hardware issue is causing excessive battery or range degradation.

Why does estimated range decrease overnight while my car is off?
It is expected for a Tesla car to consume around 1% of charge per day while parked. In some cases, you may notice that consumption is higher. We recommend deactivating features such as preconditioning, Sentry Mode, Keep Climate On, and any aftermarket equipment when not needed.

Note: Aftermarket equipment connected to the 12V system and/or third party mobile applications which collect data about your vehicle can decrease range while parked and reduce the battery lifespan. Tesla does not recommend using aftermarket equipment, and any damage to your vehicle's hardware or software resulting from unauthorized access to vehicle data through non-Tesla parts or accessories is not covered by warranty.

What is Range Mode?
In Model S and Model X, Range Mode conserves energy by limiting the power of the climate control system. For more visit our New Owner Frequently Asked Questions.

Does outside temperature impact range?
Yes. Range can be impacted by extreme cold or hot temperatures; however, the impact will seem far more noticeable in cold weather. Tesla high voltage batteries are regulated to keep the battery temperature within optimal boundaries. Even if the vehicle is not being operated, the high voltage battery temperature is monitored and regulated to prolong its lifespan and performance – this is why you may notice the compressor running even while parked. See our Winter Driving Tips for more information.

This is very interesting Tesla official post. I think EPA rated 241Wh per mile to get 310 miles of range. I never could get more then 300 miles when 100% charged or 90% charge and interpolated to full charge. I only get 295 miles. As Tesla sent the updates and we supposed to have 322 on M3D that is over 8% loss. I have talked to Tesla tech, local ranger, they keep telling me the display range is based on your driving habit. which is how the Nissan Leaf works.

Hi all. I have ordered my M3 LR and I’m exploring the forum as I wait. I have read over and over that driving style and conditions determine the real range and that you may get more or less than the 322 Tesla promotes. I assumed you’d lose 10% of range because of charging to 90%, another 10% because you don’t drive to zero, and perhaps another 10% accounting for AC/heat, wind, speed and so forth. Long and short, I fully expected 220 -240 as the absolutely certain range to expect. Reading this thread I’m concern I may have been too optimistic. I work from home but travel. I am purchasing the car for San Antonio to Houston, Dallas, and Shreveport (200, 250, and 350 miles respectively) business trips so top range at highway speeds is top importance to me. Am I being realistic expecting 220-240 range at highway speeds with an air conditioner? I know it can vary and there are exceptions on either side of the bell curve but it seems fair to ask what real-world norms are for highway range.

Take a look at ABRP to see what realistic will look like for your car. I’ve found it very accurate. You can play around with weather, load, speed, wind and all sorts. Looks like you are going to have to stop for a charge on the way to all those places. It’s a personal thing, but I would probably have a stop on that length of journey for safety anyway.

Hi all. I have ordered my M3 LR and I’m exploring the forum as I wait. I have read over and over that driving style and conditions determine the real range and that you may get more or less than the 322 Tesla promotes. I assumed you’d lose 10% of range because of charging to 90%, another 10% because you don’t drive to zero, and perhaps another 10% accounting for AC/heat, wind, speed and so forth. Long and short, I fully expected 220 -240 as the absolutely certain range to expect. Reading this thread I’m concern I may have been too optimistic. I work from home but travel. I am purchasing the car for San Antonio to Houston, Dallas, and Shreveport (200, 250, and 350 miles respectively) business trips so top range at highway speeds is top importance to me. Am I being realistic expecting 220-240 range at highway speeds with an air conditioner? I know it can vary and there are exceptions on either side of the bell curve but it seems fair to ask what real-world norms are for highway range.
10+10+25 (x.55) seems more appropriate to expect in winter, otherwise yes 10+10+10 (x.70) is closer to normal.

Thank you Jeeves and ElectriclAC. Both of those responses helps a lot. I played around with the trip planner and I’m a little disappointed. I knew I would have to stop on these trips but I drove up to Dallas today. At 41 degrees with 12 mph winds from the north and some rain I would have had to stop twice. I expected a stop but not two. Either way, I definitely got my answer and I’m grateful for your help.

Honestly, after driving my Model 3 SR+ for 2 months, I feel like my Nissan Leaf had more range. I live in Bay Area so it's not cold or that hot right now. I charge to 90%, go to work which is around 9.5 miles each way and lose 20% each day.

Model 3, I would charge around every 2-3 days.
Leaf, I would charge every 3-4 days. So not a real big difference to me.

Honestly, after driving my Model 3 SR+ for 2 months, I feel like my Nissan Leaf had more range. I live in Bay Area so it's not cold or that hot right now. I charge to 90%, go to work which is around 9.5 miles each way and lose 20% each day.

hmm what was Leaf rated range

Thank you Jeeves and ElectriclAC. Both of those responses helps a lot. I played around with the trip planner and I’m a little disappointed. I knew I would have to stop on these trips but I drove up to Dallas today. At 41 degrees with 12 mph winds from the north and some rain I would have had to stop twice. I expected a stop but not two. Either way, I definitely got my answer and I’m grateful for your help.
What a difference headwind vs tailwinds can make...
CE20F2EB-D29D-499E-B1C0-D9A8D593F753.jpeg

In "real world" context for extended driving, I find myself stopping for charge every 2-3 hours for ~30min.

I used to drive that triangle quite frequently, and typically stopped once, if not twice - once for fueling and another for snack/stretch. Nowhere near 30-60min in total, and definitely without the constraints of a business schedule.

On the bright side, efficiency great for the traffic jams on i45/i10 because of lower overhead, and the supercharging network is really supportive in that area. I suspect if you start near full, you can make any of those treks with a single stop.

This is very interesting Tesla official post. I think EPA rated 241Wh per mile to get 310 miles of range. I never could get more then 300 miles when 100% charged or 90% charge and interpolated to full charge. I only get 295 miles. As Tesla sent the updates and we supposed to have 322 on M3D that is over 8% loss. I have talked to Tesla tech, local ranger, they keep telling me the display range is based on your driving habit. which is how the Nissan Leaf works.

So you have a 2020 model year model 3, correct? No where has "range been updated to 322" for models before 2020.

Short trips are not very efficient for range, just like a gas car, and there is NO BENEFIT to "running it down" to charge it back up, at least for tesla, they specifically say that in the manual. If your commute is <10 miles then there is no difference between those two cars for that commute... AND yes weather does effect you even in the Bay Area (and even in San Diego, which has better weather than you do).

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
Status
Not open for further replies.