Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla P90DL Range Takes a 10% Detour

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

easyev

Supporting Member
Jul 29, 2023
Toronto
So a Tesla I’m considering… figured I would check to see what a full charge gives at a local supercharger. It’s a 2016 P90D and apparently
it got 426 km new (does that sound right?) and now I charged it up to 385 at 100% that’s about 10% deg. Oh it’s got 70k km on it.

My 2015 only dropped 4.4% in the eight years I owned it so this seems a little high. What do you guys think?

I didn’t realize it has cheetah stance in launch mode, the damn thing goes like a bat out of hell, it’s been all four tires. 😀

IMG_4195.jpeg

Last edited:
I assume it's too late but having scan my tesla to read battery information is a whole lot more helpful than 100% charge range. CAC imbalance really tells you what's going on with the battery. Also did you look at the battery sticker in the front passenger wheel well? That's going to tell you a lot about the battery as well.

Just as a datapoint my 16 P90DL with 21" turbines regularly calculates to a 100% charge range of 238 miles 383km.

You know I had the car for almost 2 hours trying to supercharge it and I completely forgot to check for that sticker, darn!

So maybe it’s about right for range? It seems I’m getting about the same.

I know those tools you can get that plug into the ODB port to allow reading of all the cell voltages and imbalances. I’m wondering if a little bit of TLC will bring things up a little more considering it’s been sitting for months at the dealership lot

You know I had the car for almost 2 hours trying to supercharge it and I completely forgot to check for that sticker, darn!

So maybe it’s about right for range? It seems I’m getting about the same.

I know those tools you can get that plug into the ODB port to allow reading of all the cell voltages and imbalances. I’m wondering if a little bit of TLC will bring things up a little more considering it’s been sitting for months at the dealership lot

I'm surprised you sat there for 2 hours, charging is very slow up top as you know. I highly doubt you're going to improve the health of the battery by charging it in any special way. It is what it is and it's an "old" out of warranty battery. I thought you wanted this car for FUSC transfer anyway?

Last edited:
Reactions: easyev
I'm surprised you sat there for 2 hours, charging is very slow up top as you. I highly doubt you're going to improve the health of the battery by charging it in any special way. It is what it is and it's an "old" out of warranty battery. I thought you wanted this car for FUSC transfer anyway?
Okay, thanks for the feedback.

Haha no, the 2 hours included 20m each way in gridlock traffic, 25m of racing around trying launch mode, seeing how the half shafts behaved under hard launches, etc. and about 35m or so for charging?

Yes I want it for FUSC down the road, but want to make sure I have a decent battery, and some of the niceties that put a smile on my face, like the way this hard launches, wow, the carbon fiber center storage tray (I prefer it to the console) the autopilot (I think it should stay on after a lane change?)

It needs some chip touch ups
scratch polishing
rims are all curbed
missing parcel tray (ebay for $270?)
Nicer floor mats
may need a new 12V battery
Maybe an MCU replacement? That's the big one

the autopilot (I think it should stay on after a lane change?)

Maybe an MCU replacement? That's the big one

If you move the steering wheel yourself it will disengage autopilot. If you want to change lanes while autopilot is engaged just move the turn signal in the direction of the lane you want to go, the car will move itself.

I'm still on MCU1 with no intention of spending the money for MCU2. It really depends on how much you expect of the MCU. If you plan to use it heavily then MCU1 will show its lack of performance. If you're like me I hardly interact with the infotainment only to do basic things like turn on seat heaters or turn off lights. When I listen to music I use bluetooth and my phone. Navigation without the satelite view turned on works just fine.

I hear you on the curbed wheels. I didn't know it but my car had two bent wheels one of which was curbed all the way around. I'm not saying the wheels on this car are bent but I would at least expect to have to replace one or two.