Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Palo Alto HQ (Page Mill) Semi Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is putting in a Semi Charger at the old HP campus at 1501 Page Mill Road. Along with 199 L2 and 8 SC.
1708571928829.png

Interesting terminology. Maybe they learned from FSD so they are not calling it a MegaCharger since it doesnt get to 1MW. This one is 410kVa, 750kw.
1708572186734.png

Running on 360VAC, 375kw per cabinet, 750kw total, 650-1000VDC. 651A max input per cabinet vs 465A for V3 cabinet. Some slight change internally, not just a straight V3 cabinet.
1708572255394.png1708572297114.png1708572332312.png1708572541541.png1708572579309.png

Already looks like V3 PSU and a semi parked there per most recent Google Satellite imagery.
1708573008333.png

But a recent revision is proposing relocating the semi charger next to superchargers.
1708573127044.png1708573444976.png

It doesnt look like any gates or security so maybe it will be easy to check out.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Wasn't the V4 supposed to be 1000v at 1000a max? That's what the new V4 connector is supposed to be rated for so it can quick charge the CT and Semi as they mentioned at the Semi delivery event. Sure are taking their time about committing to a standard. Although I guess they installed less V1 chargers than we have Magic Docks in the world before they started up with V2 which had the same connector on it but much more charging power.

I guess we are just waiting for more chargers to be installed for them to figure out the standard. Would be funny if they DON'T go with CharIN this time either.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Wasn't the V4 supposed to be 1000v at 1000a max?
Nope.

That's what the new V4 connector is supposed to be rated for so it can quick charge the CT and Semi as they mentioned at the Semi delivery event.
Nope. At the Semi delivery event they only talked about the V4 cable and specifically the liquid immersion cooling feature that allowed the cable to be smaller while providing higher power. (A lot of people totally misinterpreted what was shown.) The V4 Supercharger posts and the Semi charger posts both use this cable technology.

The Tesla Semi uses a different connector, a MCS prototype, than the Tesla passenger vehicles, which use NACS/J3400.

I guess we are just waiting for more chargers to be installed for them to figure out the standard. Would be funny if they DON'T go with CharIN this time either.
The MCS connector they are using on the Semi is from the CharIN work, but it is prototype 2, the rectangular version, while the final MCS standard is likely going to be the prototype 3 version which is triangular. So, Tesla will likely want/need to retrofit the final MCS connector to the Semis and chargers once CharIN has ratified the final version.

Wasn't the V4 supposed to be 1000v at 1000a max? That's what the new V4 connector is supposed to be rated for so it can quick charge the CT and Semi as they mentioned at the Semi delivery event. Sure are taking their time about committing to a standard. Although I guess they installed less V1 chargers than we have Magic Docks in the world before they started up with V2 which had the same connector on it but much more charging power.

V4 capable of MW charging but different from MegaChargers (now referred to as SemiCharger <1MW). Lots of confusion at the event, typical Tesla. They want people to believe the CT will be able to charge 4 times as fast as a car at a V3 (1Mw is 4x 250kw), i.e. "my MY takes 45 minutes for a full charge on V3 so if the CT battery is twice as big but charges 4 times as fast, that means a full charge on a CT is only 22 minutes! I must buy one!" Just stupid that they are allowed to spew this false garbage and no one calls them on it.

Reactions: Nack and Dave EV
So is Tesla is spewing garbage *where* are you getting your data as to what they are up to?
By looking at the physical labels on things and not believing what comes out of their marketing presentations (battery day, etc.). Overall V4 architecture may be CAPABLE of Mw charging but that doesnt mean they will ever make it happen yet they make presentation saying V4 will enable Mw charging on CT. Just like 4680 may some day be CAPABLE of being a better battery than 2170 from a performance standpoint but currently it is only about being just good enough to please customers while saving Tesla a ton of money. Battery day would have you believe it IS a much better product than 2170.

Randy, I loved my M3, my wife and I own 2 MYs, we love them. We love the products. Everything else about the company and the way it is run leave a lot to be desired.