Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla playing games with trade-in....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding is Tesla historically doesn't give you any trade in value for FSD so his estimate shouldn't be impacted by whether or not he's transferring the software license. Has that changed?

I am not in the market, but there would not have been any way to determine that in any real sense before tesla offered this one time transfer option. Either your car had FSD or it didnt, and they gave you a price.

I have seen several posts here where people get an offer, or a lower one if they are transferring FSD. They certainly are not giving retail value for it, but if you are transferring it, the offers are lower, so by definition it has whatever value between those two numbers.

Or, TL ; DR , there was no real way to determine that before, but now there is.

For this specific OP, as I said in my other post, they also didnt talk about time frame between the two offers.

I am not in the market, but there would not have been any way to determine that in any real sense before tesla offered this one time transfer option. Either your car had FSD or it didnt, and they gave you a price.

I have seen several posts here where people get an offer, or a lower one if they are transferring FSD. They certainly are not giving retail value for it, but if you are transferring it, the offers are lower, so by definition it has whatever value between those two numbers.

Or, TL ; DR , there was no real way to determine that before, but now there is.

For this specific OP, as I said in my other post, they also didnt talk about time frame between the two offers.
OK, was just asking because you stated pretty confidently that it would matter to the trade in offer whether or not the OP was transferring his FSD or not. Clearly no one has proven that to be the case to date.

Sure they have. The trade offer from tesla with and without FSD transfer is different.
Sorry for some reason I didn’t see the part of your post where you mentioned that. With that aspect resolved; if Tesla is tailoring its trade in values based on whether or not you are transferring FSD then this isn’t really amnesty is it? If you lose some of your trade in value based on whether you choose to use your one time opportunity to keep FSD then you are paying a penalty to trade in your vehicle. It’s just the same left pocket/right pocket type of nonsense we’ve become accustomed to from legacy car dealers. My point was that I’ve come to understand (admittedly anecdotally) that there hasn’t been any additional value assigned to FSD in the past when Tesla calculated trade in values; if true, that they would penalize someone now for transferring FSD is pretty lame

• Disagree
Reactions: lamgineer
Sorry for some reason I didn’t see the part of your post where you mentioned that. With that aspect resolved; if Tesla is tailoring its trade in values based on whether or not you are transferring FSD then this isn’t really amnesty is it? If you lose some of your trade in value based on whether you choose to use your one time opportunity to keep FSD then you are paying a penalty to trade in your vehicle. It’s just the same left pocket/right pocket type of nonsense we’ve become accustomed to from legacy car dealers. My point was that I’ve come to understand (admittedly anecdotally) that there hasn’t been any additional value assigned to FSD in the past when Tesla calculated trade in values; if true, that they would penalize someone now for transferring FSD is pretty lame

You are free to look at it however you want to. For someone that has FSD on an existing vehicle, and wants it on a new vehicle, if they get a lower value on the trade in, as long as that lower value isnt = to the current cost of FSD on the new vehicle (15k) then there is some amnesty there.

You are free to look at it however you want to. For someone that has FSD on an existing vehicle, and wants it on a new vehicle, if they get a lower value on the trade in, as long as that lower value isnt = to the current cost of FSD on the new vehicle (15k) then there is some amnesty there.
It's not called the "some amnesty" program. It's the same kind of trade in games sketchy dealers have played for decades coming from the company that supposedly disrupted the automotive industry.

I dont buy into any "disrupt the blah blah blah" stuff, personally, its a business deal like any other. it either makes sense to the individual or it doesnt.
You're right all of the white knight disruptor stuff is just a narrative. However this isn't just business people doing business, it's bad faith. Just like lying and saying your vehicle is just a good without lidar or USS sensors is bad faith. I love my vehicle but I don't love the company that makes it. Tesla has squandered almost all of the good will they've earned with their revolutionary tech; when everyone catches up to their products it's actions like this that'll make it easy for us to move on to the next manufacturer.

You're right all of the white knight disruptor stuff is just a narrative. However this isn't just business people doing business, it's bad faith.

Ill say again, you are free to look at whatever you want, however you want. I dont particularly find it to be "bad faith" to reduce a trade in value on a trade in vehicle because some feature is removed, then assign that feature to a new vehicle in place of a purchase price that is more than the amount removed.

If they took 10k off the trade in value and the feature costs 5k, then yes, thats shady. If they take 5k off the trade in value of the vehicle and the same feature on the a new vehicle is 15k, thats a net value gain of 10k so I dont consider that shady. Im not you though, and I am not debating what you should or should not feel.

Ill say again, you are free to look at whatever you want, however you want. I dont particularly find it to be "bad faith" to reduce a trade in value on a trade in vehicle because some feature is removed, then assign that feature to a new vehicle in place of a purchase price that is more than the amount removed.

If they took 10k off the trade in value and the feature costs 5k, then yes, thats shady. If they take 5k off the trade in value of the vehicle and the same feature on the a new vehicle is 15k, thats a net value gain of 10k so I dont consider that shady. Im not you though, and I am not debating what you should or should not feel.
I'll say again, they've never before placed any value on FSD for the trade in estimates. Six months ago if you traded in a MY, whether you paid 8, 10, or 15 thousand you got no extra value on your trade in. Now that they're in the middle of this amnesty marketing push they are now telling customers who wish to retain the FSD package that it has value where before it had none; that's bad faith. We're just gonna have to disagree on this one; neither of us will be able to convince the other.

Was going for new model Y Long Range and have my FSD transferred... Tesla originally quoted 36300 for my 2020 model y performance. I ordered the new car... now they come back with new trade in value of 28600 for a 2020 Performance with FSD ! The price of new model y long range blue with white exterior and all charges comes to 58k,,!!! ANY suggestions?
Was going for new model Y Long Range and have my FSD transferred... Tesla originally quoted 36300 for my 2020 model y performance. I ordered the new car... now they come back with new trade in value of 28600 for a 2020 Performance with FSD ! The price of new model y long range blue with white exterior and all charges comes to 58k,,!!! ANY suggestions?
Trade in values are depressing. Things depreciate quickly. My head is getting around it as the reality.