Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla playing games with trade-in....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tenured

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2020
New York
Was going for new model Y Long Range and have my FSD transferred... Tesla originally quoted 36300 for my 2020 model y performance. I ordered the new car... now they come back with new trade in value of 28600 for a 2020 Performance with FSD ! The price of new model y long range blue with white exterior and all charges comes to 58k,,!!! ANY suggestions?

Reactions: Jane4
I suspect Tesla is getting a lot of trade ins with the FSD transfer and it is affecting prices. If you do go 3rd party instead of trade in you can still do the FSD transfer, you just have to wait until after the new car delivery to sell the old car. Both cars have to be on the account when the transfer happens.

Reactions: Pricedm
Was going for new model Y Long Range and have my FSD transferred.

now they come back with new trade in value of 28600 for a 2020 Performance with FSD

Sorry but these two statements dont go together. Either you are trading in the car with FSD ( and not transferring it ), or you are trading in the car and transferring FSD, thus lowering the value of your current car by "some amount".

You also dont specify when you got both of those quotes (as in, was there more than 30 days between the first and second quote).

I suspect Tesla is getting a lot of trade ins with the FSD transfer and it is affecting prices. If you do go 3rd party instead of trade in you can still do the FSD transfer, you just have to wait until after the new car delivery to sell the old car. Both cars have to be on the account when the transfer happens.
I was the owner of my old FSD car today when I took delivery. Tesla stated that my FSD would transfer over. It never did and it's just saying that I have a 3 month subscription. I sold my car right after I took delivery. Now no one is responding to my text messages from tesla to ask them what's up and why am I on a subscription model?

I was the owner of my old FSD car today when I took delivery. Tesla stated that my FSD would transfer over. It never did and it's just saying that I have a 3 month subscription. I sold my car right after I took delivery. Now no one is responding to my text messages from tesla to ask them what's up and why am I on a subscription model?
Hopefully not screwed. You are supposed to keep both cars on the account until the transfer finishes.

Hopefully not screwed. You are supposed to keep both cars on the account until the transfer finishes.
First, thanks for replying. I was feeling kind of alone without getting any response. The way I read the agreement, it states that I only need to be owner of the vehicle when I take delivery. Then, while I drive an hour back to the dealership where I was going to sell my old car, my new car was going to be updated with FSD. I saw it blink once, but it is saying that I am on the subscription mode of tesla, not that I bought it.

Reactions: chucktaylur
First, thanks for replying. I was feeling kind of alone without getting any response. The way I read the agreement, it states that I only need to be owner of the vehicle when I take delivery. Then, while I drive an hour back to the dealership where I was going to sell my old car, my new car was going to be updated with FSD. I saw it blink once, but it is saying that I am on the subscription mode of tesla, not that I bought it.
Item 3 of the agreement says the transfer can be up to one week after delivery. Hopefully you just have a delay. I would keep trying to get ahold of someone at Tesla. They don't make that easy.

Same *sugar* happened to me just a week later.. offer magically dropped by 10%. It's literally bait & switch at this point.

I have never heard of them giving an estimate and the final offer being higher than the estimate.. always lower!

The contract I signed was dated 7/22 and stated "Tesla will remove FSD capability from your current vehicle up to one week before scheduled delivery of your new Tesla." When I rec'd delivery of my "Y", FSD was already activated.

FYI - When my order was written, the FSD charge of $15,000 was originally included so the car came with it from day one. Before I paid for the car the 15k was deducted from the invoice.

Sorry but these two statements dont go together. Either you are trading in the car with FSD ( and not transferring it ), or you are trading in the car and transferring FSD, thus lowering the value of your current car by "some amount".

You also dont specify when you got both of those quotes (as in, was there more than 30 days between the first and second quote).
My understanding is Tesla historically doesn't give you any trade in value for FSD so his estimate shouldn't be impacted by whether or not he's transferring the software license. Has that changed?