Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two questions about a new Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am considering taking advantage of the one time FSD transfer offer and trading in my 2020 Y for a new one. I have two questions.

Has the suspension for the non-performance LR been improved since 2020? From Day 1 back in May of 2020, I have hated the harsh ride . I’ve heard rumors that the suspension is smoother now, but is this true?

If I order a new Y now, will it come with HW 4?

Are there any other significant differences between a 2023 Y and a 2020 Y?

Thanks in advance

Cliff

In addition to the suspension improvements, the other big difference between 2020 and 2023 in terms of overall feel of quality is the reduction of hard plastics in the cabin. The door pockets have carpet, there’s more alcantara, there’s carpet on the inside of the lower C pillar/door frame, carpet on the inside of the rear hatch…all these spots used to be hard plastic. It all adds up to a noticeable improvement in quietness/overall cabin feel.

EDIT: I forgot about another big one in the quietness department, which is the double paned glass. I think that was added in ‘22.

That’s not to say the cabin is now super nice, but I’ll say it’s finally adequate for a $50k vehicle.

And yes, as of within the last month or two, everything gets HW4.

Last edited:
Great! any chance you can share that list? I need help in rationalizing spending the extra cash for the trade.
Heated steering
Heated wipers
Risen processors
Dimming mirror side
New battery - larger
Trunk shelf
LED headlights projector
Laminated glass
New version cameras
Mud flaps and ppf
New center console
New air filtration system Bio
USB stick
Boom box and speakers
Lithium battery 16v
HW4
Updated interior
Comfort suspension
3rd row seat option

Just a few off the top of my head.

Heated steering
Heated wipers
Risen processors
Dimming mirror side
New battery - larger
Trunk shelf
LED headlights projector
Laminated glass
New version cameras
Mud flaps and ppf
New center console
USB stick
Boom box and speakers
Lithium battery 16v
HW4
Updated interior
Comfort suspension
3rd row seat option

Thanks!

In addition to the suspension improvements, the other big difference between 2020 and 2023 in terms of overall feel of quality is the reduction of hard plastics in the cabin. The door pockets have carpet, there’s more alcantara, there’s carpet on the inside of the lower C pillar/door frame, carpet on the inside of the rear hatch…all these spots used to be hard plastic. It all adds up to a noticeable improvement in quietness/overall cabin feel.

EDIT: I forgot about another big one in the quietness department, which is the double paned glass. I think that was added in ‘22.

That’s not to say the cabin is now super nice, but I’ll say it’s finally adequate for a $50k vehicle.

And yes, as of within the last month or two, everything gets HW4.
I rented a MYLR recently. All of these little things really add up and make a noticeable difference when compared to my MYP 2021 interior.

I was also surprised how quick and powerful the MYLR was. AND it had phenomenal range!

I was actually pretty miffed how nice that MYLR was compared to my MYP :mad: :D ;)

Thanks for the reply. The PPF on the front and bottom door panels was something I did immediately when I got my MY in 2020, so I'd be doing it again. It has saved the paint from many a rock chip (at least there are none now on the car after 48K miles, many on dirt roads)

I was not given mud flaps, nor offered them and I live upstate NY, but sometimes where I live is grouped into the NYC metropolitan area, so maybe they don't offer it there. The PPF made the flaps superfluous.

Can’t confirm in Every region but I am certain most all snow type areas they do. In fact even my 2020 they reached out a year later and sent me both as they are standard in IL at no cost. Note that when I say PPF it’s the rear door small segment not the car or other for clarity.
What part of the state are you from? Only the PPF side protection is standard in Naperville. No mud flaps.

You guys are lucky, I got nada on both my Ts
Had to add after
I did all of the usual inside and outside protections
Did 4x flaps and entire front, side and rockers PPF
Also did rhe rear bumper/hatch bottom edge strip

Can’t confirm in Every region but I am certain most all snow type areas they do. In fact even my 2020 they reached out a year later and sent me both as they are standard in IL at no cost. Note that when I say PPF it’s the rear door small segment not the car or other for clarity.
Not included in Colorado. Definitely a snow area and we use lots of sand on the roads for traction. I ordered an aftermarket set from amazon. They were inexpensive and fit well.

Reactions: heymull
Heated steering
Heated wipers
Risen processors
Dimming mirror side
New battery - larger
Trunk shelf
LED headlights projector
Laminated glass
New version cameras
Mud flaps and ppf
New center console
USB stick
Boom box and speakers
Lithium battery 16v
HW4
Updated interior
Comfort suspension
3rd row seat option

Great list! Additionally, there is a thread that was keeping track of Model Y changes over time (though it's now been about 7-8 months since being last updated) - you might find additional items there - Model Y changes over time

Not unusual at all. :) None of the cars being delivered at the Naperville/Lisle location have the mud flaps. The link you shared is from Canada, so not very relevant to us in IL.
Ok simply the first article I could find. As stated when most arrived at the Tesla store to get car IF they were not on car (note they don’t always know where a car is going) simply asking them often got a no problem will send to you Or in some cases a mobile tech will visit to add them. In the IL thread many have said the same I’m simply sharing.

here is a more “relevant“ link that includes IL, KS, and other confirmation: