Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking about a Model Y - some Q’s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can get performance boost for free if you refer one of your friends to buy a Tesla after you get yours. Please use someone's referral link before you order your car so they can get free boost. You also get a reward for using a referral.

The tires that come with the performance model are not suitable for winter in Canada. I got aftermarket black wheel covers for my LR Model Y and IMO they look terrific. Much better than the stock aero covers and better than the stock wheels without covers.

The white interior is very nice and cleans up well. The Model Y is the best selling car in the world. I recommend getting an exterior color other than white. In the US grey is free so for me that would be a no-brainer. OTOH, happy wife, happy life.
Very good points thank you. I didn’t know they were summer tires and not all seasons. So the 19” Gemini wheels they offer now must look better without the hubcaps and I’m sure powder coating would make them look great as well.

They’re not offering the white interior on the new Ys at the moment…I wonder why? I like the clean look of the white, by nothing wrong with the black, either.

First, you want a performance boost for your son ? hahaha. I wouldn't let my kids anywhere near that.

Second, between Carmax, Carvana, and KBB you have some decent options. I sold my 1st model 3 through KBB - 3 dealers contacted me and each offered good money. I have also sold to Carvana, it was way better than Craigslist, which I have only used for low cost first driver cars and visiting postdocs.

Third, don't forget the tax credict which you forgo on any newish used Tesla.
Performance boost for my son? Hell no! I got into enough trouble (well, almost I talked my way out of the nonsense I was doing!) with my underpowered civics! I don’t think we have those services in Canada but I may be wrong. Cargurus, FB, Kijiji. AutoTrader is the big one.

I had these same thoughts - funny enough, there’s no place left to sell privately?! Autotrader is dealer only and Craigslist isn’t the place. Where do folks sell privately now? Facebook?

Sorry for off topic but what a situation to be in. Trade or Carvana, etc. I feel that’s driving the value of used down.
Autotrader. definitely except personal private listings as well I’ve tried, and I’ve gotten several flakes sending lowball, borderline degrading messages. What a world right now.

Guys thinking about getting a model Y for my wife and son’s use. I would like to go used as Tesla is offering me peanuts for trade-ins.

so I’m thinking long range all wheel drive
Maybe the performance model if it’s not much more

I’m really surprised at how close used is to brand new. Should I just sell her car privately and go new? She’s got a Lexus hybrid and they seem pretty hot right now.

Any other considerations? It makes it pretty easy as there’s not a lot of options on these things. Are the performance brakes much better?

I like the style on the 21 wheels but I like the price in the range on the 19th so leaning in that direction… I just wish they looked a little nicer.

If I had a choice, I would do the white interior.
She likes white exterior, I like gray, white and red 😍

Can you get the performance boost on the long range anymore or did they remove that?

Thanks for your time and thoughts.
Remember there is no sales tax on the trade value which can help close the gap with Teslas trade offer
Otherwise sell on your own
I would go new as the latest MYs are amazing, latest sound proofing, suspension, etc
The MYP is a dangerously fast machine
If I had to do it over again: LR with AB if available
19 wheels, Uber covers
No white seats as they are a nightmare, even picking up dye from jeans
PPF the front and rockers
Window tint esp the wind shield
Ceramic the entire vehicle outside and inside
Tuxmats, front to back
And the rest of the relevant add ons that are well published

Child driver protections:
Don’t get the Magbak phone mount, make sure he uses rhe charging tray, keeps their focus on driving
Pin the speed limit under safety

Reactions: easyev
I own two 2023 Model Y Performance vehicles and wouldn’t switch them for anything. Most own the LR cars, so you look like everyone else - they even call them “California Corollas”. The MYP isn’t that much more than the LR model and it’s BIG difference in performance and looks much better, IMO. Just wanted to provide a different perspective. Good luck!

I own two 2023 Model Y Performance vehicles and wouldn’t switch them for anything. Most own the LR cars, so you look like everyone else - they even call them “California Corollas”. The MYP isn’t that much more than the LR model and it’s BIG difference in performance and looks much better, IMO. Just wanted to provide a different perspective. Good luck!
Suggested the LR due to child sharing the vehicle

Remember there is no sales tax on the trade value which can help close the gap with Teslas trade offer
Otherwise sell on your own
I would go new as the latest MYs are amazing, latest sound proofing, suspension, etc
The MYP is a dangerously fast machine
If I had to do it over again: LR with AB if available
19 wheels, Uber covers
No white seats as they are a nightmare, even picking up dye from jeans
PPF the front and rockers
Window tint esp the wind shield
Ceramic the entire vehicle outside and inside
Tuxmats, front to back
And the rest of the relevant add ons that are well published

Child driver protections:
Don’t get the Magbak phone mount, make sure he uses rhe charging tray, keeps their focus on driving
Pin the speed limit under safety
Thanks a lot for all this great feedback I really think you’re right on all points. Good on the phone mount, safer stowed, lower and charging. Is there much of a suspension difference with my23?

Hey, I definitely get the performance focus, I just got a plaid, even though the LR was more than fast enough, I got it just for the point. The power is there if I need it. Those Y’s of your sound amazing!

Toyota Corolla of CA lol I don’t see the connection other than the Y took over the Camry as the best selling vehicle in the world. ☺️

Thanks a lot for all this great feedback I really think you’re right on all points. Good on the phone mount, safer stowed, lower and charging. Is there much of a suspension difference with my23?
Yes, last fall for 2023 model year, Tesla tweaked the suspension for the better
2022s don’t have it

careful with expecting a tax credit on used EVs
Income max is low and can only be received when buying through a dealer
Another benefit of new, clean tax credit

How long is the ride of the performance versus the LR? My wife prefers a cushy ride, and really likes the X. Trying to dissuade her, it’s too much vehicle.

Can’t wait till they add air suspension to the Model Y. It will happen esp if they phase out S and X.

How long is the ride of the performance versus the LR? My wife prefers a cushy ride, and really likes the X. Trying to dissuade her, it’s too much vehicle.

Can’t wait till they add air suspension to the Model Y. It will happen esp if they phase out S and X.
I ride my MYP around in sport mode all the time, to take advantage of the acceleration and tighter steering. Admittedly, there is some stiffness on bumpy roads, but nothing crazy. IMO, the performance boost far outweighs a marshmallow ride.

That all said, if you can swing the move up to an X, I’d do it. A much nicer car in terms of interior, ride, size, etc.

This is great info, thank you! No one mentions the 2022 I guess it’s the same as the 2021? Considering the small price difference between new and used, I might go new.
New is probably the best option. In the US there is a federal tax credit ($7500 USD). My 2020 Long Range Model Y came with parking sensors and a radar unit for Autopilot. Tesla disabled the radar unit, currently uses the cameras exclusively for Autopilot. The parking sensors in my Model Y still work.

easyev said - You Y owners are a lively bunch, wow, thanks for all the replies and keep ‘em coming!

Order the MYLR and cheque with your accountant about what RevCan offers. While you're waiting to have your TWC installed (if applicable), spend some time talking to owners at Sherway Gardens SC, Fairview Mall SC or Vaughan Mills SC. We are a friendly bunch. You'll find that we like to talk about our EV's and there is a lot to be learned (and experienced). Good luck!

I’ve got to dealerships that one, but they don’t have a suitable model Y for me…yet! Thanks for replying.
I think you misunderstood what I said. Take your current vehicle to automotive dealership other than Tesla. (Honda, Ford, Dodge) and see what they will give you for your current vehicle. I'm willing to bet it'll be a fair amount more than what the Tesla dealership will give you.

This is great info, thank you! No one mentions the 2022 I guess it’s the same as the 2021? Considering the small price difference between new and used, I might go new.
There are differences as well, you can try to google. Tesla does not have a thing like a "model year". They can make changes to the car in the middle of the year.

For example, I bought mine in August 2022, and just one month after, Tesla redesigned the door covers, similar to Model 3 with a wood trim.
Also Model Y's of 2022 have slight differences either it's Austin build or Fremont build. Cars from Austin had the parcel shelf, while Fremont build began to add it much later in the year. Also, some of the late-year Fremont 2022 Model Y's Long Range have matrix headlights. It was temporarily, probably because of the shortage of regular LED headlights.
In 2021 Tesla switched to li-ion low voltage batteries, so some of the early 2021 models may have led-acid batteries which require a replacement on average every 3-4 years.

• Informative
Reactions: easyev and Stirfry
just got home with my new LR. Massive storms so can’t go out and play.

It is a great car. Compared to model 3 way more solid, quiet, etc…. Initial build quality is very good not one panel to complain about.