Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Roadside Assistance Does Not Have Loaner Wheels For The Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick question re TPMS (somewhat ignorant on this topic). Do I need to buy new one if I change the tire?

Should be able to reuse the same sensor; unless it got damaged somehow, which is unlikely. Most last years before they need replaced (batteries die), though I know on the Model Y Tesla is using a new Bluetooth based sensor... I would assume they're just as robust and have the same long lifetimes as other sensors.... but who knows, sometimes with Tesla it's one step forward, two steps back... (I'm thinking of the 12 volt battery issue where many owners of S/X have had to replace them like every two years...)

Should be able to reuse the same sensor; unless it got damaged somehow, which is unlikely. Most last years before they need replaced (batteries die), though I know on the Model Y Tesla is using a new Bluetooth based sensor... I would assume they're just as robust and have the same long lifetimes as other sensors.... but who knows, sometimes with Tesla it's one step forward, two steps back... (I'm thinking of the 12 volt battery issue where many owners of S/X have had to replace them like every two years...)
Thanks again. If you're on the east coast, NY area, let me know. Drinks on me.

Still go to a tire shop and have it correctly fixed. It should be removed from the wheel and patched from the INSIDE. I believe they basically volcanize the rubber and adhere a one piece plug and patch so the patch on the inside is air tight and the plug on the outside is sealing the tire from water and road grim. Last I had a tire repaired it was like less than $50 and took maybe 45 minutes or less. Tires are the most important safety feature of a car. They are literally the only thing touching the ground. The best brakes, reaction time, driving skill, etc goes out the window if your tires suck or if you have a blow out/flat. Spend the time and money to make sure the car is as safe as can be with the tires.

Good point, thanks for the advice. My husband plugged one (or maybe two) of his tires a few years ago and they’ve held fine, but I agree that the lazy way is probably not the best way. I had a blow out once on the highway two cars ago and it definitely sucked.

Thanks again. If you're on the east coast, NY area, let me know. Drinks on me.

Ha, I'm on the other side of the US; Washington State. Just happy to help a fellow Tesla owner. I've gained SO much information from here when ordering my Model 3 and now as I'm upgrading to a Model Y. I don't know if I would have made the jump into Tesla without the resources found here... it can be a little scary going full electric but everyone here made that transition much easier!

Good point, thanks for the advice. My husband plugged one (or maybe two) of his tires a few years ago and they’ve held fine, but I agree that the lazy way is probably not the best way. I had a blow out once on the highway two cars ago and it definitely sucked.

Good job! Plugs will keep you moving, but swing by when you get a chance and see if they can take care of it properly. Or make him go do it ;)

Ha, I'm on the other side of the US; Washington State. Just happy to help a fellow Tesla owner. I've gained SO much information from here when ordering my Model 3 and now as I'm upgrading to a Model Y. I don't know if I would have made the jump into Tesla without the resources found here... it can be a little scary going full electric but everyone here made that transition much easier!
Agreed. This forum has been very informative. I elected to contribute to the cause for that reason.

I wonder why tesla does not offer a Donut tire option ? Just like Tow mode or Jack mode there can be a software set up option for Front /Rear tire R or L option , so that the car re-configures itself and you can drive to the nearest town in case you have a tire blow out and Tesla support is unable to help or provide spare. This is what keeps be from going on unfamiliar routes on my Tesla

I wonder why tesla does not offer a Donut tire option ? Just like Tow mode or Jack mode there can be a software set up option for Front /Rear tire R or L option , so that the car re-configures itself and you can drive to the nearest town in case you have a tire blow out and Tesla support is unable to help or provide spare. This is what keeps be from going on unfamiliar routes on my Tesla

You do have options. Modern Spare sells them for a variety of vehicles. They sell the basic donut up to the full kit. I intend to purchase one as my first accessory. Yes, the extra 30-40 pounds will decrease efficiency, but this is about not waiting on the side of the road for hours and hours.

#1 Spare Tire Kit Engineered Specifically For Your Model Y | Modern Spare