Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CyberCab / Tesla Robotaxi Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Franz is standing next to a four wheel mock up. Note the luggage inboard of the rear wheel(s).

My only objection is the rubber-band low-profile tires on a giant wheel. I know this isn't even a full concept car at this point...but why on earth should a light-weight, low-cost robotaxi need big wheels and low profile tires?

As far as I can tell, low profile tires on big wheels has 3 potential advantages: (1) cosmetic/marketing preference, (2) allows for bigger brakes in a heavier or higher-performance car, and (3) might allow better cornering in a high-performance car. None of those should apply to a robotaxi...but the low profile tires will still bring their standard downsides: more expensive wheels, more expensive tires, shorter tread life for the tires, and increased susceptibilty to damage of the tire and wheel when hitting potholes and other road hazards.

I know it's just a pre-concept...but Step 1 with a robotaxi should have been smaller wheels and meaty tires to reduce up-front and maintenance cost and improve durability.

Yep. There has been some confusion by assorted folks taking a quick look at the pictures, but I think both have 4 wheels. I think the cardboard mock-up with Franz shows the back wheel inset a few inches compared to thh front wheel -- you can compare where each touches the ground. I think the more complete design image shows the same geometry, but adds fender skirts on the back to reduce drag. I believe the original 2-door Honda Insight had a similar geometry -- narrower track width and fender skirts at the rear.

The interesting speculation is whether or not the Robotaxi has a windscreen and front windows.

The best windscreen is no windscreen, and no windscreen wiper.

If the 25K vehicle is a "stretch Robotaxi" I think it will have a windscreen and side mirrors. Cameras and screens can do the job, but regulators might not be ready for that.

So I think he 25K car could be fairly like a regular compact hatchback, if that was true I don't know why Elon would say it was from the future.
A Robotaxi with no windscreen definitely looks like something from the future.

For the 25K vehicle, perhaps the pivot point for the front opening hatch is after the windscreen?

There needs to be some compromise which makes the 25K vehicle look futuristc.

Reactions: AZRI11
It would be interesting to know if some view out of the font of the car (as opposed to a view on a screen) is necessary to avoid car sickness and if a windscreen wiper is needed just to ensure that result.

If that is a problem, watching a movie, playing a game, or reading a book in a moving Robotaxi would also be a problem.

People regularly perform these activities in planes and trains.

A smooth non-jerky ride is needed to increase the range of activities that can be comfortably performed, most customers will prefer to go slower rather than refrain from activities, but individual tolerance may vary.

I now think I might have misinterpreted the sketch of a possible Robotaxi, but this is an interesting area of speculation.

• Informative
Reactions: Baumisch
tesla-model-2-il-render-di-motor1.com.jpg

Reactions: Buckminster

I think this is pretty perfect, except it will fore sure (HOPEFULLY) not have FWD. Not doable for that pricetag and maybe for once, they should REALLY focus on getting it easy to manufacture :)

Except to sell to sell multimillons year after year it needs to have four doors, a full backseat, room for a few suitcases and no Falcon doors. So nowhere close to what Tesla will actually do.

Would be a great sportscar though.

Doors need to offer more headroom when opened... or, I'll need a helmet for when I forget to duck.

Other than that, SCHWEET!

Owning a BMW i3 for 6 years has convinced me that 'suicide doors' are a disaster and practically unuseable. They drive us crazy....

Just getting people or things in and out of the back seat is mission impossible - unless you have about 10 feet clear.
They may look cool but I hate them with a passion.

Now if the i3 had sensible doors (and wheels), it would be even more wonderful

In ICE vehicles you're probably correct. But what if the Gen 3 is a really small car? Foldable rear seats are doable and luggage can be kept in a well-designed frunk. I concur, no falcons, but in a small car, 2 doors (or 4 with half size rear suicides and no pillar). $25,000 USD, with probable rebates or credits on top of that, and this beautiful thing will change history... for the good!

Hope all of y'all had a most excellent western holiday and more importantly, a day off! Gonna be a wild month coming up methinks.