Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Roof/Powerwall install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

Currently I am stuck with Tesla now being to help me with these few question.

I am in the middle of my new construction at the rough in stage and need help with the pre-wiring.

1) In the diagram there is a j1 (junction box) behind the place where the gateway is. Can anyone provide a link for that? This junction box is between the meter and the panel.

2) The powerwall has to be 3feet from any door or window? Is this true?

3) What type of conduits do I need to put? PVC or does it have to be metal?

4) Do I have to put insulation/sheetrock before they install my powerwall/roof?

Any urgent help is appreciated!

Thanks

Perhaps poster @racerex (who is in process for a solar roof install on new construction) can point you to a tesla contact or something.

Just as a FYI this site is not affiliated in any way, shape or form with Tesla itself, so if you need some sort of link to product for your install, you likely should be trying to get that from tesla.

Reactions: buckets0fun
Perhaps poster @racerex (who is in process for a solar roof install on new construction) can point you to a tesla contact or something.

Just as a FYI this site is not affiliated in any way, shape or form with Tesla itself, so if you need some sort of link to product for your install, you likely should be trying to get that from tesla.
Thank you for the response yes any help would be helpful. Tesla hasn't been able to answer my questions.

Tesla has mentioned a typical J box but I have no idea what that means.

Not to make it more complicated, but it would likely help to know where your are...local/ county building codes can differ. Would really focus on contacting installer PM and/or local building code inspector.

For instance, my stacked power walls are within 3ft of garage door without bollards. But drive 15 minutes down the freeway to another county and it is not kosher.

Our conduits are metal and do not know if I have seen anyone else's install pics with PVC here on forum...but then again I am not sure if that was installer choice or building code / inspector preference.

Have seen people here have conduit purposely buried within drywall, so assume that is an option to leave unfinished walls until install completed.

Otherwise, J box is a "junction box"...just a box enclosure that is an intersection for wires to connect and re-route.

Good luck!!

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Not to make it more complicated, but it would likely help to know where your are...local/ county building codes can differ. Would really focus on contacting installer PM and/or local building code inspector.

For instance, my stacked power walls are within 3ft of garage door without bollards. But drive 15 minutes down the freeway to another county and it is not kosher.

Our conduits are metal and do not know if I have seen anyone else's install pics with PVC here on forum...but then again I am not sure if that was installer choice or building code / inspector preference.

Have seen people here have conduit purposely buried within drywall, so assume that is an option to leave unfinished walls until install completed.

Otherwise, J box is a "junction box"...just a box enclosure that is an intersection for wires to connect and re-route.

Good luck!!
Thank you for the information. Actually live in New Jersey Middlesex County. Edison is the town.
Yes I understand that it's a junction box but how does tesla connect the wires my electrician is saying they can't leave slack in the junction box. Do you have sort of link for the exact junction box my electrician is saying 16x16.

Hey @racerex would love your help currently in a situation where any help is better than none. Very confused on the situation.

Any contact or help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thank you for the information. Actually live in New Jersey Middlesex County. Edison is the town.
Yes I understand that it's a junction box but how does tesla connect the wires my electrician is saying they can't leave slack in the junction box. Do you have sort of link for the exact junction box my electrician is saying 16x16.
If your electrician doesn't know how to leave conduit ready for the next electrician...I would be having my doubts.

Without details on the installation, it is hard to know what is needed. Junction boxes are available in a huge range of sizes depending on #wires, sizes, and what all is going on in the box. If you don't have plans for Tesla, then you are going to be flying blind about what they want or need. Sorry.

All the best,

BG

Good luck!!
Solar circuits MUST be in metal conduit. Do not use PVC for any possible DC circuits.