Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 's Number One Fanboy Neutered

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_1475.JPG
IMG_1478.JPG
IMG_1480.JPG

I empathize with @Solarwind.

During my life I have had a number of newish technology products in places remote from service. That includes a completely photovoltaic powered island in the Bahamas (in 1995), A NSU RO 80 in Thailand in 1967, a Mazda R100 in Thailand in 1968, a BMW 525 in Yemen in 1978 and others from boats to aircraft (a Beagle 208S, anybody?). For reasons I think I understand the more remote one is the greater the risk of major screwups, even when one imports properly factory-trained technicians, or send the product to the factory for repair. OTOH, you can see that I have a history of stacking the deck against calm reliability.

The odds become much worse when in an area that encourages full use of product capabilities. I recall my shiny new Porsche 964 had front axle failure in Montana while I was enjoying the then existing "reasonable and proper". I figured an indicated 160 mph was reasonable and proper in that car. Porsche agreed, but i had to pay to send the car to Los Angeles.

I admire Tesla for attempting to deal with such issues. I do not admire the poor remote service quality control, although I understand it.

For your sake @Solarwind , and all of us, I hope Tesla can make your life easier. That said, my personal rule for really remote places has been "don't ever make a purchase you cannot afford to discard without repair if that becomes necessary". Luckily I have never had to discard anything.

You probably will not have a Montana Service Center soon, but with Superchargers coming this year, allegedly, in Great Falls and Shelby, there will probably be much improved mobile service center performance. Anyway, there is reason to be hopeful.