Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Third battery has failed - need advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(moderator note)

Per subsequent posts in this thread, date corrected in this post to read what poster intended, which is September of 2022 (See posts #6 and 7 in this thread)

==============================

Morning!

I have a 2015 Model S and the third battery has failed (at least that is what the local service center is telling me). The note when I scheduled service was “our initial diagnostics point to an issue with the HV battery that cannot be repaired in service. It will need to be replaced.” My third battery was installed September 2022 and had a one year warranty, so it is slightly out of warranty. The car has about 155,000 miles on it and I bought it new. Needing a fourth battery with this many miles seems doesn’t really seem normal to me. The quote for a new battery was a little less than $17,000. I spoke to the GM at the service facility and he wasn’t helpful and felt like charging for the replacement was fair and “perhaps he could help me a little with the labor.”

Anyone have any ideas on what to do?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Morning!

I have a 2015 Model S and the third battery has failed (at least that is what the local service center is telling me). The note when I scheduled service was “our initial diagnostics point to an issue with the HV battery that cannot be repaired in service. It will need to be replaced.” My third battery was installed September 2023 and had a one year warranty, so it is slightly out of warranty. The car has about 155,000 miles on it and I bought it new. Needing a fourth battery with this many miles seems doesn’t really seem normal to me. The quote for a new battery was a little less than $17,000. I spoke to the GM at the service facility and he wasn’t helpful and felt like charging for the replacement was fair and “perhaps he could help me a little with the labor.”

Anyone have any ideas on what to do?

Thanks!
Wow that’s crazy. I have 113k miles on my 2017 model s and the original battery. Sure sounds like something else is going on to cause so many battery failures.

Try another service center. (Which shouldn’t be necessary but it may work.)

Do you have the date wrong on your 3rd replacement? Perhaps 2022?

Reactions: mongo
I wish I did have the date wrong! 100% sure (according to the service center). The car is completely dead and the closest “next” service center is about 250 miles away. I’ve tried my way via email to someone higher up in the organization but they’ve ignored me so far.

I wish I did have the date wrong! 100% sure (according to the service center). The car is completely dead and the closest “next” service center is about 250 miles away. I’ve tried my way via email to someone higher up in the organization but they’ve ignored me so far.
Was the September replacement done under the 8 year battery warranty?

If so, then I think you will have to pay for this one. If you paid for the September battery out of pocket, I think that comes with another warranty.

You could also try Recell. They work on batteries but that may be a long way from you.

Last edited:
Reactions: MP3Mike
The third battery did fall under the 8 year warranty. The service center said the third one was under the one year warranty. I guess I just don’t feel good about buying an expensive battery that might not last long. The first one made it about 120,000 miles, the second one around 20,000 miles, and this last one around 15,000 miles or so.

The third battery did fall under the 8 year warranty. The service center said the third one was under the one year warranty. I guess I just don’t feel good about buying an expensive battery that might not last long. The first one made it about 120,000 miles, the second one around 20,000 miles, and this last one around 15,000 miles or so.
If they said the 3rd battery has a one year replacement warranty, shouldn’t it be covered still?

Looks like the purchased battery has a 4 year replacement warranty.

Reactions: WyoDude
This 12V lead acid battery has long been a service issue for Tesla. OP seems to be having it more than most. Over the years Tesla has upgraded their 12V charging system hardware and software, but still it remains an issue for legacy vehicles. They replace them for free, when under warranty, and are very reasonable with pricing afterwards. Can be changed out by service center, Mobile service, or self installed.

Several years ago, Tesla began installing high quality, lighter and longer lasting 14V Lithium Ion battery packs. These seem to have mostly solved that problem.

You will need to check with Tesla Service to see if they will be willing to replace your for free, or at reduced cost, but essentially your warranty has expeired and you may need to purchase this one yourself. Only when you pay for a replacement battery do they come with warranty.

This 12V lead acid battery has long been a service issue for Tesla. OP seems to be having it more than most. Over the years Tesla has upgraded their 12V charging system hardware and software, but still it remains an issue for legacy vehicles. They replace them for free, when under warranty, and are very reasonable with pricing afterwards. Can be changed out by service center, Mobile service, or self installed.

Several years ago, Tesla began installing high quality, lighter and longer lasting 14V Lithium Ion battery packs. These seem to have mostly solved that problem.

You will need to check with Tesla Service to see if they will be willing to replace your for free, or at reduced cost, but essentially your warranty has expeired and you may need to purchase this one yourself. Only when you pay for a replacement battery do they come with warranty.
I believe the OP is referring to the HV battery, not the 12v.

I needed the 12v battery replaced once but that’s typical based on my usage and compared to gas cars.

Correct - this is the HV Battery (although I’m on my sixth 12V battery) and paid for 5 out of pocket.

MD70 - I’d love to make an argument but I can’t get anyone other than the local service center to chat with me. They are unwilling/unable to assist. I wouldn’t mind paying for a replacement (even though I feel like this is really excessive) but I don’t want to spend $17,000 on the fourth battery and have it fail in 15,000 miles too. Ugh

Reactions: MD70
Correct - this is the HV Battery (although I’m on my sixth 12V battery) and paid for 5 out of pocket.

MD70 - I’d love to make an argument but I can’t get anyone other than the local service center to chat with me. They are unwilling/unable to assist. I wouldn’t mind paying for a replacement (even though I feel like this is really excessive) but I don’t want to spend $17,000 on the fourth battery and have it fail in 15,000 miles too. Ugh
Your SIXTH 12v battery too?!?!?!

I’m only on my 2nd. There’s got to be something else going on with your car.

Could run a range analysis in your phone app under service and see if there is some other drain going on. But it may not work if the car won’t turn on.

Reactions: MD70
OP - for sure you've been getting "remanufactured" or refurbished batteries as replacement (ie: your 2nd and 3rd battery).. reman batteries from Tesla have the original cells (with wear/tear/degradation, etc..) on them and just have a fixed core w BMS. Reman batteries don't last, and folks should just say no if they are paying for replacement - you have no choice if done under warranty. For the replacement this time around, you will have to pay out of pocket (sorry, you may have received bad info from someone in the past), and you should only accept the 90kw battery with 350v architecture.. these are new. the 400v replacement ones are remanufactured, and you know that goes.

I'm sure both this battery, and the last were probably remanufactured packs (Tesla's reman packs don't seem to have a good track record when it comes to longevity).
You have a few options:
a) purchase another remanufactured battery through Tesla, which will come with a 4yr 50k warranty.
b) purchase a NEW battery through Tesla, which will also come with the same 4yr, 50k warranty, but should have MUCH better longevity.
c) Take the car to a 3rd party shop to have the battery either repaired, or replaced with a good condition used unit. Not sure of any in Louisiana (I assume that's where you're at?), but there ReCell is in Texas, which might be your closest option.

Please let us know what you decide to do.

This issue is the main risk when buying out of warranty vehicles and if Tesla treats customers who bought new vehicles like this imagine how they will treat owners of used vehicles.

In my opinion they need to be more transparent about the whole replacing battery process, that they are using refurbished batteries and give longer warranties.

Thanks everyone. So the general idea is Tesla (no matter how high up I can reach) won’t do anything to “help” and that I should just accept what has happened. Reach out to Recell (yep - I’m in Louisiana) and hope for the best. Or roll the dice, spend $17,000 and know that $17k will get me 50k miles without any additional cost.

Reactions: jpk195
Thanks everyone. So the general idea is Tesla (no matter how high up I can reach) won’t do anything to “help” and that I should just accept what has happened. Reach out to Recell (yep - I’m in Louisiana) and hope for the best. Or roll the dice, spend $17,000 and know that $17k will get me 50k miles without any additional cost.
You can certainly try to get in touch with someone higher up at Tesla, but I'd say the chances of a successful outcome are pretty slim (at best, you may be able to get them to sell you a New battery for the cost of a Reman).
A 3rd party repair (from a shop like mine, or ReCell, etc.) is likely going to be a LOT cheaper (sub $10k, or maybe even sub $5k), depending of course on what the root source of the problem is in your battery. Being a likely previously remanufactured pack, it could be any number of issues, such as water intrusion, failed cell, bad wiring connection, etc.

• Helpful
Reactions: cleverscreenam
If you get a new (not reman) battery from Tesla, it’s not rolling the dice. It’s a solid investment into a vehicle that may have other issues down the line.
Going third party, no matter how cheap, is a gamble IMO

Reactions: jpk195