Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla S screen bubbles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2016 Tesla S in containment screen just started bubbling. There is some gooey stuff at the bottom. Tesla service center wants $1K. I just spent $2300 on AC compressor replacement 3 weeks ago. Worried that the car is becoming a money pit.
Any recommendations for cheaper third-party repairs?
What happens if I keep it as is? Aesthetically, it looks bad, but does the gooey fluid damage any other parts?

My 2016 Tesla S in containment screen just started bubbling. There is some gooey stuff at the bottom. Tesla service center wants $1K. I just spent $2300 on AC compressor replacement 3 weeks ago. Worried that the car is becoming a money pit.
Any recommendations for cheaper third-party repairs?
What happens if I keep it as is? Aesthetically, it looks bad, but does the gooey fluid damage any other parts?
No, it doesn't. It's just pretty sticky stuff which is very hard to get rid off it and you definitely don't want to have it anywhere in the interior. There're much cheaper solutions, however. One might be Aliexpress or Ebay and change it yourselves ;) Another one which I went through is removal of the display and getting all the goo out of it including the front screen. If it is combi instrument display, you don't need it ;)
I think the car doesn't necessarily have to be a money pit, but you have to put some effort from your side into it..
Good luck!

Thank you. I ended up replacing the screen, but the new screen is now freezing every day.
Where did you get the screen? I tried Ali, but was not successful as the screen had probably damaged cable (only half of the image was visible). Nevertheless my friend was lucky and got well working piece.
Yes, MCU2 is also an option.. not the cheapest on but it is.
I got rid of the glass on IC display as I mentioned and now I've changed the display on MCU for a one of much newer revision (used on MCU2) so it shouldn't bubble anymore. Another issues I might experience is the yellowing edges, but this is possible to fix and it doesn't leak.. Also the picture has a better quality.