Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment screen nightmare

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2016 Tesla S with 95K miles.

I had zero functionality issues with the previous infotainment screen. Unfortunately, it started leaking glue at the bottom. I decided to get it replaced with the new screen (no MCU upgrade). The first installation was botched up, and they had to redo it all over again. The “new” screen was also covered with a thick layer of dust (I saw it as the first installation was through mobile service at my home).

Now there are multiple freezing/lagging issues. Dealer tried to clean the cache, but the problem is still there. Another issue is that a charging screen will pop up randomly when going over a rough road. They are claiming now we need an MCU upgrade, which does not make sense since the same MCU was working just fine with the previous screen. Note that sometimes the content on screen updates but the touch does not work.

Any suggestions? So frustrated with Tesla right now.

I heard the camera quality is worse with the new MCU especially in the dark.

And still cannot understand how new screen can cause the MCU to lag/freeze.
I don’t think that’s true regarding cameras. I believe MCU2 supports Sentry Mode (great feature) and better use of cameras too.

It’s not the screen causing the lag. It’s SD memory card on MCU that was not properly designed or intended for endless writes/deletes over time. It starts to fail gradually and then eventually cannot access temp files, etc. needed for the MCU processor to operate correctly.

There was a Tesla recall to replace just the SD card with more durable, larger storage version, but many people reported this caused problems because of invasive procedure. It’s better to bite the bullet and get MCU2, providing new screen, faster processor, more memory and some new features. However, you will lose FM radio tuner unless you pay ~$500 more.

I heard the camera quality is worse with the new MCU especially in the dark.
It’s not.
And still cannot understand how new screen can cause the MCU to lag/freeze.
It didn’t. Coincidence. The Tegra platform is a dozen years old and horribly outdated. The only way to fix these cars on modern software is to upgrade them.

Reactions: Yelobird
At some point early on when they started offering the upgrade the reverse camera was poor in dark compared to MCU1.

An update has come since then and corrected it. No worries there any longer.

It's 100% worth doing. Of course, the money is an issue but it's almost like a new car having it be responsive again and no longer so buggy.

We tried the cache clearing. Next step is factory reset . Has anyone tried complete factory reset and does that help? Does the firmware also get reset to original version? And then all the updates have to be applied again?

Has anyone tried complete factory reset and does that help?
It might give you some very mild relief for a short period of time. But it’s short lived - not a permanent fix.
Does the firmware also get reset to original version? And then all the updates have to be applied again?
No, it will revert to the factory default settings on the current firmware.

I believe MCU2 supports Sentry Mode (great feature) and better use of cameras too.

It’s not the screen causing the lag. It’s SD memory card on MCU that was not properly designed or intended for endless writes/deletes over time.

There was a Tesla recall to replace just the SD card with more durable, larger storage version, but many people reported this caused problems because of invasive procedure.
Sentry will work only on Tesla version of the Autopilot. Not on the AP1 provided by Mobileye. And that chip that was used in the MCU was eMMC, not SD memory card. The latter was (is) for navigation and associated data storage.
Currently still on MCU1 but with the change of the recall that Tesla eventually came out with.

Reactions: SoCal Buzz
Sentry will work only on Tesla version of the Autopilot. Not on the AP1 provided by Mobileye. And that chip that was used in the MCU was eMMC, not SD memory card. The latter was (is) for navigation and associated data storage.
Currently still on MCU1 but with the change of the recall that Tesla eventually came out with.
Thanks for clarifying. Looks like Mobileye hardware was replaced around October 2016, so depends on the OP manufacture date.