Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Sales Banned in New Jersey... hopefully not for long!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In this case the commission did indeed hold a vote, and I should have been more explicit with my comment. this was not a legislative action is was an action of a regulatory board, now this goes back to the original comment which was a response to a comment that was made that christie could veto the move, and I said that he has no power to veto a commissions legally promulgated regulation he can only veto votes of the legislature.

@apvbguy, you wrote that in response to me, and trust me, I am well aware that this was not a vote in the legislature. That was the entire point of Tesla's blog this morning... the Christie administration took what they and Tesla agreed would be an issue to be decided publicly through the legislative process and turned it in to an executive office strong arm move under the radar. nice touch allowing the public comments only after the vote was taken.

Not so about the 3-0
Washington dealers attempted this ban also but a provision was added to permit Tesla to add stores and continue as they had. This makes it difficult for new EV manufacturers to attempt the same model, but Tesla won that fight.
I'm still convinced the dealers won that round in two ways. The second being the Tesla exception will be contested judicially.

I feel that some may need a clarification. I am not an expert, but as I understand it In our system of government, legislators create laws. Executive branches of government interpret these laws in the form of detailed regulations which guide the enforcement. The courts determine whether the regulations are proper interpretations of the law and whether the laws are constitutional.

This was an executive action related to regulations.

At the end of the day, consumers can still buy Teslas on-line or at "galleries" like Texas or in stores in other states. The momentum is too strong for a few silly states who attempt to stop it or force it into their own track. Probably the nastiest thing they could do is not let Teslas drive in the car-pool lanes, but that's not going to happen.

@apvbguy, you wrote that in response to me, and trust me, I am well aware that this was not a vote in the legislature. That was the entire point of Tesla's blog this morning... the Christie administration took what they and Tesla agreed would be an issue to be decided publicly through the legislative process and turned it in to an executive office strong arm move under the radar. nice touch allowing the public comments only after the vote was taken.
be it right or wrong, this is not unprecedented in NJ

- - - Updated - - -

I feel that some may need a clarification. I am not an expert, but as I understand it In our system of government, legislators create laws. Executive branches of government interpret these laws in the form of detailed regulations which guide the enforcement. The courts determine whether the regulations are proper interpretations of the law and whether the laws are constitutional.

bingoi

- - - Updated - - -

So, this is a killer opportunity for someone with a lot of cash, ordering a dozen teslas and selling them used for 20k more in NJ?
what makes you think this?

pbleic, this may well be the intended function of the various institutions, but as Tesla sees it,

"Unfortunately, Monday we received news that Governor Christie’s administration has gone back on its word to delay a proposed anti-Tesla regulation so that the matter could be handled through a fair process in the Legislature. The Administration has decided to go outside the legislative process by expediting a rule proposal that would completely change the law in New Jersey." (my bolding for emphasis)

now, clearly, I wouldn't suggest anyone go simply on either Tesla's or the Christie administration's say so on this, but I do not ignore the serious assertion Tesla made today that NJ was in effect changing a law via the action of a regulatory committee.

So can transactions like the way it is done in AZ happen? Sold/bought/transacted online, temp reg'd in CA, delivered to AZ resident, and then registered in AZ by the buyer.
according to my delivery guy this shouldn't impact my NJ delivery however I don't think Tesla has gauged the full impact of what happened yet. either way the DS assured me that I will be driving my car on 3/31

- - - Updated - - -

I'd like to see the live feed of this.
swords and hollow point bullets are illegal in NJ

here are the new parts

13:21-15.3 Proper person
(a) In order to be considered a proper person, an applicant must:

4. Be a motor vehicle franchisee under N.J.S.A. 56:10-26.d, as
evidenced by the franchise agreement(s) referenced in N.J.A.C.
13:21-15.2(m).

Tesla was operating under a waiver to these rules
56:10-26. Definitions
d. "Motor vehicle franchisee" means a person to whom a franchise is granted by a motor vehicle franchisor and who or which holds a current valid motor vehicle dealer's license issued pursuant to R.S.39:10-19 and has an established place of business;

e. "Motor vehicle franchisor" means a person engaged in the business of manufacturing, assembling or distributing new motor vehicles, or importing into the United States new motor vehicles manufactured or assembled in a foreign country, who will under normal business conditions during the year, manufacture, assemble, distribute or import at least 10 new motor vehicles;

56:10-27. Sales through franchises only
It shall be a violation of this act for any motor vehicle franchisor, directly or indirectly, through any officer, agent, employee, broker or any shareholder of the franchisor, except a shareholder of 1% or less of the outstanding shares of any class of securities of a franchisor which is a publicly traded corporation, or other person, to offer to sell or sell motor vehicles, to a consumer, other than an employee of the franchisor, except through a motor vehicle franchisee.
L. 1985, c. 361, s. 2, eff. Nov. 12, 1985.

This is the part where Tesla will probably have to outspend the NEW JERSEY COALITION OF AUTOMOTIVE RETAILERS to have a chance of changing the law.

now, clearly, I wouldn't suggest anyone go simply on either Tesla's or the Christie administration's say so on this, but I do not ignore the serious assertion Tesla made today that NJ was in effect changing a law via the action of a regulatory committee.
opinions are cheap, and everyone can have one, right now NJ has all the cards and it is up to Tesla to prove NJ wrong

I've been led to believe that a regulation was just passed preventing a high demand item from being sold in a particular geographic area, restricting supply and therefore further increasing demand (and therefore price) of said item.

I think there's a thread about it somewhere, not sure where though...
there is nothing stopping a NJ resident from buying the car in another state and then registering it in NJ

- - - Updated - - -

Lots of things are illegal in various states, but often government officials seem to find their way around such things.
riiiight.