Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Sales Banned in New Jersey... hopefully not for long!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just emailed my delivery guy, the only issue becomes that if I have to take delivery in NY or PA then it is my obligation to get the car registered and titled, not the best way to spend the better part of a day

When I picked up in PA and they handled title and registration just like if you bought a car at any dealership in the tri-state area. Same thing that happened when I bought a car in Delaware.

I just emailed my delivery guy for his insights, but being that this is so fresh I doubt if he'll be able to give a concrete response.
the only big issue of taking delivery in NY or PA that it then becomes my obligation to register and title the car, not the best way to spend the better part of a day

It's a pain but not bad. That's how it works in Texas.

beyond the widespread sense that this is flat out wrong, the statements and actions today by the Governor's administration are contradictory,

on the one hand, this morning they responded to Tesla's assertions that NJ has gone back on its word with a counterclaim that Tesla has been told for over a year that Tesla would need new legislation to continue operating in NJ under their sales model,

on the other hand, this afternoon they saw a need to pass a new regulation to delineate Tesla's current operations in NJ as illegal.

which is it NJ? was Tesla's existing activity illegal or was it legal until today's measure was passed?

I've not seen any of the media coverage pick up on what I find to be a clear contradiction.

Last edited:
beyond the widespread sense that this is flat out wrong, the statements and actions today by the Governor's administration are contradictory,

on the one hand, this morning they responded to Tesla's assertions that NJ has gone back on its word with a counterclaim that Tesla has been told for over a year that Tesla would need new legislation to continue operating in NJ under their sales model,

on the other hand, this afternoon they saw a need today to pass a new regulation to delineate Tesla's current operations in NJ as illegal.

which is it NJ? was Tesla's existing activity illegal or was it legal until today's measure was passed?

I've not seen any of the media coverage pick up on what I find to be a clear contradiction.
there is no contradiction, today actions just affirmed the fact that what tesla was doing in NJ was against the state's regulations, as far as I know these regulations are not new regulations.
it is now up to the legislature to remedy this problem or to allow the regs to stand as they are currently on the books

perhaps the powers that be in NJ really don't give a flying fig about how elon operates, it is incumbent upon elon to learn how to play with others or he will be running into problems like this in the future.
now that NJ has run him out how far behind do you think the rest of the states dealer associations will be.
it's called poor gamesmanship

support it all you care to, at the end of this day tesla cannot sell cars in NJ after 4/1.

While it's certainly possible if Tesla's priorities were shifted the outcome here could have been different, but at the cost of losing focus on the many fronts they are fighting. With respect to gamesmanship as you claim, that's literally winning a battle but losing the war.

Let's not forget that folks in NJ could still purchase a Tesla with fully accessible service centres in state, just in a less convenient for the initial purchase. Also, there's silver lining in the public support that's come from this and publicity for TM nationally (perhaps globally with media coverage on the story).

I think it's premature to conclude poor gamesmanship from Tesla at this point.

Worst depends on your point of view.

Christie just put a bunch of Tesla employees in New Jersey out of work. :mad:

Think they just underestimated the backlash in the legislature. Seemed that by the end of the meeting they were already backing down to the public outcry that was in their face and on the phones and email.

"not done deal, governor has a veto" kind of talk.

@apvbguy, all the reporting I see described this as a new rule voted on by the NJ Motor Vehicle Commission, thus a contradiction to the notion Tesla was violating existing legal requirements.