Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla SC made my paint issue worse, what can I do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took my MY LR delivery on May 20th in Richmond (BC, Canada) and noticed some minor paint issue. And some other issues that I am not really concerned, the door trim alignment, window not sitting flush.
Passenger door frame paint damage:
Before_1.jpg

Trunk edge/roof:
Before_2.jpg

Dust under paint on Trunk:
Before_3.jpg

And Some really tiny paint damage, just little black dots. The delivery guy said all can be fixed so I took my new baby home and had a wonderful 3-week honey moon.
Today I finally got my post-delivery service appointment (on great northern way, only place to do post delivery service, Vancouver owner's be aware ), the SC said they cant do anything to the window or door trim but they promised to fix paint issue and it turned out everything just got worse:
Very rough paint surface (you can probably tell from the pic) and multiple dust black/white dots:
After_11.jpg

I am out of words, no clue how to describe this paint work, may be my 12 years Labrador Retriever can do a much better job :
After_2.jpg

All the tiny paint damages are turned into much bigger "touch up white dots".

I am not happy with the job they done, and I'd rather they didn't touch my car and I could live as it is. They tried to offer me "service credit", makes no sense. I insisted to escalate and they said they can book me for body shop to repaint the roof. I am not sure if the body shop could do anything to the door frame or touch ups, any thought? Is this paint correction acceptable? My first thought is worse than original, but I am kind of OCD/picky person.

This is the first time dealing with such an unprofessional service center, I am so upset. However, the attitude of the service guy was perfect, I could not say anything bad about him, but their shop did a terrible job.

Yea, some of these SC are a joke!

I purchased my first MYLR back in sept 2020. Car had some minor panel gap issues so I took my car in for service. Since its my first brand new car I brought and also my first Tesla, I wanted to be clean and new! Bad choice. Those guys in SF, CA SC suck big time. I went to pickup my car and I quickly noticed a door ding and part of the paint chipped. Service manger came back and use their "touch up" paint brush and just dap it. Shitty job but what can u do! They didn't even fix my panel gaps correctly! I decided to take my car back and go to another SC near me. Guess what, another door ding, another "touch up" job! lol. But these guys did try their best to fix my panel gaps and I was happy.

I end up selling my LR to upgrade to the MYP. Took delivery this part March and the headlight was slightly misalign. Guess what, I left it alone. Not trusting these guys anymore to care for my brand new car.

I have a cousin who used to work for Tesla center. He told me, Tesla would just hired anyone that has a little skills and try to train them. U get Starbucks and other retail stores that has management exp and try to train them to be mechanic. Its pretty funny! If I knew about this earlier, I will never let these guys touch my car.

But again, if you don't care about the little stuff, just bring it in and expect ok service. GL!

The tiny blisters on the door pillar is probably not too big of a concern, but the touch up work on the panel edge must be fixed.

A qualified body shop would definitely do a much better job than this. I'd want to make sure the SC agrees to take the job to a Tesla-certified body shops. Those Tesla-certified ones around Vancouver areas are mostly "higher end" ones so they should do a competent job.

Since OP is a bit OCD, I'd point out that even a good repaint job may not be 100% perfect match, but close enough for most people to not notice the tiny difference. Actually, if you look hard at the cars around, you would find many of them could have a tiny bit of colour difference between the metal panels and plastic bumpers (and Tesla is no exception).

I put in about 40k on both my MY now. I learn to accepted that Tesla can make a fast, fun, great tech on wheels. Putting them together still need some attention. Service center still need training. Improve on their Customer service.

Don't worry about the little stuff, buy the car and drive the thing. Enjoy the machine! Will I buy another Tesla, u bet I will. Until another auto company can show us a better machine, Tesla can take my money! lol

@yellowr6 Agree with you. I have a deep two inch long scratch in the paint on the inside one of the rear doors. Looks like it was damaged when they installed the door panel assembly. I notice it each time I clean and wash the car. Always think about fixing it with some touch up paint but it's been over two years now and it's still here.

Reactions: yellowr6

I purchased my first MYLR back in sept 2020. Car had some minor panel gap issues so I took my car in for service. Since its my first brand new car I brought and also my first Tesla, I wanted to be clean and new! Bad choice. Those guys in SF, CA SC suck big time. I went to pickup my car and I quickly noticed a door ding and part of the paint chipped. Service manger came back and use their "touch up" paint brush and just dap it. Shitty job but what can u do! They didn't even fix my panel gaps correctly! I decided to take my car back and go to another SC near me. Guess what, another door ding, another "touch up" job! lol. But these guys did try their best to fix my panel gaps and I was happy.

I end up selling my LR to upgrade to the MYP. Took delivery this part March and the headlight was slightly misalign. Guess what, I left it alone. Not trusting these guys anymore to care for my brand new car.

I have a cousin who used to work for Tesla center. He told me, Tesla would just hired anyone that has a little skills and try to train them. U get Starbucks and other retail stores that has management exp and try to train them to be mechanic. Its pretty funny! If I knew about this earlier, I will never let these guys touch my car.

But again, if you don't care about the little stuff, just bring it in and expect ok service. GL!
I have the same issue - one headlight is slightly not flush against the hood. But with all the horror stories of SCs, if it's not a major issue, I am good!

This is my fear, we have a few paint issues. But im skeptic to even let then touch it.. what do you suggest.

I put in about 40k on both my MY now. I learn to accepted that Tesla can make a fast, fun, great tech on wheels. Putting them together still need some attention. Service center still need training. Improve on their Customer service.

Don't worry about the little stuff, buy the car and drive the thing. Enjoy the machine! Will I buy another Tesla, u bet I will. Until another auto company can show us a better machine, Tesla can take my money! lol
So you didnt end up taking it back to sc to fix the issues? Im debating if i should or not for minor paint issues. They told me 2 wks turnaround, which i dont feel comfortable about.

I have the same issue - one headlight is slightly not flush against the hood. But with all the horror stories of SCs, if it's not a major issue, I am good!
Whenever you let someone else drive/keep your car, you're increasing the chance somethings going to get damaged. Whether its hit in a parking lot, a tech gets in with greasy hands (less likely at Tesla of course), clips can get broken on pieces, etc...

In the case of misalignments, I'd almost be more comfortable taking it to a body shop and paying them to adjust it. That's what they do day in and day out, plus if they don't have to paint anything, just loosen and shift stuff around, they should be able to do it quickly/cheaply. Yes, Tesla should do it for free, but I feel like a dedicated body shop will do a better job.

So you didnt end up taking it back to sc to fix the issues? Im debating if i should or not for minor paint issues. They told me 2 wks turnaround, which i dont feel comfortable about.

My first 2020 LR Y, I did. Went back twice and 2 new ding on my door. Second trip, they finally fix my panel gap.

My 2022 MYP, came with that headlight mis alignment. Its very minor so F it. Not worth wasting a couple days to let them try to fix it and get the car back with other issues.