Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service - Getting worse by the day....and weirder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ugh. My first Tesla Model S was purchased in 2013 and the service was beyond great. Fast forward to now and my 2nd Tesla 2016 P100D MS where we see continually failing service with horrid processes. Right now my car is back in service with the "we don't know when we can get parts" response. Getting used to garbage like that from Tesla. What I find increasingly weird is the "only talk to us through the app" nonsense. So I do that. HOWEVER, when I ask questions that THEY do not want a written record of their response....THEY call ME. At one point I brought that up when the "app" said my car would be ready at "4 pm today"...but was not. NOW they want to deal on the phone telling me a mechanic, wait, excuse me, a "technician" was supposed to call me. What about the app documenting the progress. They mumble again that someone was "suppose to call me".

Every time I think the service cannot get any worse, they surprise me with new lows.

I don't find it upsetting. The numbers of Teslas on the road is increasing exponentially, and people just wanting a new windshield wiper seem to think they must have it installed by the Service Department rather than figure it out themselves. The SD tries to sort this all out and gets snowed under, understandably. Back when I got my first Model S (Vin 000064, about the eighth one to the general public) I could drive into Fremont without any appointment, pull up, be told to "sit over there" while two techs pulled open the door and replaced a faulty handle. That was then. How could it possibly be anywhere near like that now?

I used the app last time (for the windshield wiper), got right in at the appointed time, had the work completed when they said, and drove home in a few minutes. ANYTHING being added to the pipeline causes a roadblock. We can either try to live with it, or take a LOT of the work to any local body shop (like my wiper blade).

We have several options. Buy something else (OK, not an option), fix it ourselves, take it to a local body shop or auto repair shop, or work with the crunch at the Service Center. Turning green does not your car fix, according to Yoda.

IT IS NOT STANDARD FARE. S#!+ happens, but not to everyone. I had no problems getting my wiper blade installed on my new car nor getting a new windshield replaced on my last car.

I don't find it upsetting. The numbers of Teslas on the road is increasing exponentially, and people just wanting a new windshield wiper seem to think they must have it installed by the Service Department rather than figure it out themselves. The SD tries to sort this all out and gets snowed under, understandably. Back when I got my first Model S (Vin 000064, about the eighth one to the general public) I could drive into Fremont without any appointment, pull up, be told to "sit over there" while two techs pulled open the door and replaced a faulty handle. That was then. How could it possibly be anywhere near like that now?

I used the app last time (for the windshield wiper), got right in at the appointed time, had the work completed when they said, and drove home in a few minutes. ANYTHING being added to the pipeline causes a roadblock. We can either try to live with it, or take a LOT of the work to any local body shop (like my wiper blade).

We have several options. Buy something else (OK, not an option), fix it ourselves, take it to a local body shop or auto repair shop, or work with the crunch at the Service Center. Turning green does not your car fix, according to Yoda.

IT IS NOT STANDARD FARE. S#!+ happens, but not to everyone. I had no problems getting my wiper blade installed on my new car nor getting a new windshield replaced on my last car.
Not everyone is ok with subpar service with a premium priced car. Nor should they be expected to accept it. I don't understand the mental logic of the apologists on here.

Maybe if there were more 3rd party garages than you could count on one hand, and if parts and diagnostics were readily available to perform fixes yourself, people wouldn't gripe about SC service because they would have alternatives. As it stands now, the only real way for people to get their cars fixed isn't all that great, and you pay a pretty penny for that subpar service to boot.

Maybe if there were more 3rd party garages than you could count on one hand, and if parts and diagnostics were readily available to perform fixes yourself, people wouldn't gripe about SC service because they would have alternatives. As it stands now, the only real way for people to get their cars fixed isn't all that great, and you pay a pretty penny for that subpar service to boot.
Tesla beat the system when it comes to 3rd party repair. Due to them not having any "dealerships" they are able to bypass selling parts to the public and providing diagnostic software needed to fix their vehicles. Until the laws change, we will be stuck with bad service and high repair prices, as they do not have to compete for our business.

Follow the right to repair movement! It seems that this issue is bound to grow as more Tesla vehicles fall out of warranty.

I own model 3 and S and all the services I had were flawless and done in timely manner. Got to love internet where majority come to complain and call other side that is happy fanboiz and etc.
The quality of care changes from location to location, and it could be thought about like bringing your car to a dealership to be repaired versus your local mechanic. Yes, you may receive fair customer service, but you will be charged substantially more. Before owning a Tesla, I am the type of person that chose to bring my vehicle to a local mechanic to be able to pay a lower price while receiving quality service, and not having the same choice with a Tesla discerns me. Regardless, the complete refusal from Tesla to sell parts and provide diagnostics is inexcusable, and goes to show how much you really own the vehicle you sit in.

I love my Tesla, but that does not mean I should not advocate for better.

The quality of care changes from location to location, and it could be thought about like bringing your car to a dealership to be repaired versus your local mechanic. Yes, you may receive fair customer service, but you will be charged substantially more. Before owning a Tesla, I am the type of person that chose to bring my vehicle to a local mechanic to be able to pay a lower price while receiving quality service, and not having the same choice with a Tesla discerns me. Regardless, the complete refusal from Tesla to sell parts and provide diagnostics is inexcusable, and goes to show how much you really own the vehicle you sit in.

I love my Tesla, but that does not mean I should not advocate for better.
You can buy parts from Tesla if you are verified owner of the car.

You can buy parts from Tesla if you are verified owner of the car.
Yes, but they limit you on this. You are not able to buy all parts for your vehicle, and there is much to be missing on what you are able to buy. My argument is not only you repairing your vehicle, but other third-party servicers. When later breakdowns occur with age, there will be repairs that are out of my scope, and 3rd party servicers will not be able to access the diagnostic tools and parts needed to get my vehicle back on the road.

Yes, but they limit you on this. You are not able to buy all parts for your vehicle, and there is much to be missing on what you are able to buy. My argument is not only you repairing your vehicle, but other third-party servicers. When later breakdowns occur with age, there will be repairs that are out of my scope, and 3rd party servicers will not be able to access the diagnostic tools and parts needed to get my vehicle back on the road.
I would give them time to work it out how they address that since they are such a new comer company at this point.

This is a common problem in most industries right now. Component and parts shortages everywhere.
lame excuse, since its been this way with tesla for YEARS. LONG before covid.

he simply does not put enough investment into the parts side of the business. anyone disputing that is not connected to the same reality most of us are.

its not like they have money trouble. they never had money trouble. they had a lack of management who cares about customers; that's the problem.

lame excuse, since its been this way with tesla for YEARS. LONG before covid.

he simply does not put enough investment into the parts side of the business. anyone disputing that is not connected to the same reality most of us are.

its not like they have money trouble. they never had money trouble. they had a lack of management who cares about customers; that's the problem.

Spot on.

This is a common problem in most industries right now. Component and parts shortages everywhere.
Nothing close to the excuses that come from Tesla. Our household has a Ford, Suburu, and a Toyto along with the Tesla. There is NO comparison. Tesla has a cluster frick of process problems while we see excellent service from the others. Taking the Tesla into the black hole of service always causes a stomach ache (they have mine right now and are fumbling around with excuses why they keep it so long....first was parts....then they found some on the shelf ....then who knows what...hope to get it back soon)

Elon DEMANDS innovation from people hired in the factories...both design and build. Innovation is demanded at SpaceX. The people working service are left to fumble and mumble only using the "app" to communicate once and a while (I am told to use the app yet THEY don't....they call ME ....when they feel like it)

The whole service business plan needs to be looked at from a LEAN business aspect.....involving everyone to remove so much waste that really mucks up service overall. Lots of good people are running in circles frustrated.

Savannah was great for a headlight on our last cross country road trip.

But Fremont for a windshield was a mess. Uber took half an hour, car was not ready after I got the call. In the end the service rep said "If you want better service, come work for us, get your friends to work for us, we are so undermanned."