Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla service scheduled because they detected a 'lockout'

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 20 kW solar panel, 4 Powerwall system was just installed two weeks ago. I'm not impressed with the solar generation but wasn't ready to request service until I saw more results and learned more in general. The solar generation has averaged 29.1 kWh/day and has ranged from 6.9 to 42.9 per day (very cloudy to very sunny).

Yesterday I got notification about a maintenance appointment for a few days from now. I called Tesla to find what this was for. The rep looked at a few notes and said the system had auto flagged my account and there was indication of a 'lockout'. He couldn't tell me anything more than that.

Does anyone know what this is likely to mean? Did they detect the system was under producing? Is it possible the strings are not setup as well as they could be?

My 20 kW solar panel, 4 Powerwall system was just installed two weeks ago. I'm not impressed with the solar generation but wasn't ready to request service until I saw more results and learned more in general. The solar generation has averaged 29.1 kWh/day and has ranged from 6.9 to 42.9 per day (very cloudy to very sunny).

Yesterday I got notification about a maintenance appointment for a few days from now. I called Tesla to find what this was for. The rep looked at a few notes and said the system had auto flagged my account and there was indication of a 'lockout'. He couldn't tell me anything more than that.

Does anyone know what this is likely to mean? Did they detect the system was under producing? Is it possible the strings are not setup as well as they could be?
Plugging a 20kW system located in Atlanta, GA and pointed due North in to PVwatts indicates you should be getting 70 kWh right now on a sunny day. It does look like your system has an issue and is under producing.

Edit: If you are still waiting for permission to operate from your utility than the system would be self regulating to charge the Powerwalls, but avoid any discharges to the grid. This could also explain the low generation numbers.

Plugging a 20kW system located in Atlanta, GA and pointed due North in to PVwatts indicates you should be getting 70 kWh right now on a sunny day. It does look like your system has an issue and is under producing.

Edit: If you are still waiting for permission to operate from your utility than the system would be self regulating to charge the Powerwalls, but avoid any discharges to the grid. This could also explain the low generation numbers.
Thanks for the info! I got very deep in PVWatts over 2 years ago when I ordered my system and it showed great output using very specific details for my location. Unfortunately it's clear it hasn't been getting even close. As you speculated, no PTO yet, but with higher output it should be charging the PWs faster than it is. I've got the reserve set low since I need to use that power to cover the shoulder periods.

Thanks for the info! I got very deep in PVWatts over 2 years ago when I ordered my system and it showed great output using very specific details for my location. Unfortunately it's clear it hasn't been getting even close. As you speculated, no PTO yet, but with higher output it should be charging the PWs faster than it is. I've got the reserve set low since I need to use that power to cover the shoulder periods.
Can you post your "Energy" display screen showing the solar generation graph? If there is any limiting going on, it may show there.

Additionally, the system may be self-limiting to prevent returning overage to the grid prior to PTO.

• Helpful
Reactions: n.one.one
Can you post your "Energy" display screen showing the solar generation graph? If there is any limiting going on, it may show there.

Additionally, the system may be self-limiting to prevent returning overage to the grid prior to PTO.

Here are a few screenshots. Please don't spend much time on this since the service call is tomorrow and I'll report the results.
I see no clipping and wouldn't expect any given that 2 of my 4 PWs are +'s. Panels are on 4 roofs with 2 south, 1 east, and 1 west. I'm guessing that one roof or one string are simply not connected, or a variation of that. The optimistic me feels they will succeed tomorrow.

Screenshot 2023-03-16 165411.png