Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Sucks??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nate704

Apr 20, 2021
Virginia
My passenger tire has noise while driving. The noise (squeaking/rubber crushing) whenever tire meets the road surface while driving. Once per rotation. It is 21" Uber Micheline Pilot Sport 4S tire.
So, I scheduled the service center visit at 9 am today. I also packed my lunch and work laptop, so I can work and eat while wait.
I arrived early at 8: 40 am and explained the symptom to the service advisor.
They took the car right in, and I headed to the waiting area.
I saw the service advisor walking towards me after 10 minutes. I was like "Uh oh what now?"

and he said, " you are ready to go"

and I asked, "what? what was the issue?"

and he said " we replaced the tire with the new one, and no more noise"

I was shocked and surprised.

and I am also so MAD since I have to eat my lunch at home and I didn't get to work on my work stuff at the waiting area!!! LOL

TL;DR - I was was out on my way home in 15 mins of my arrival at the service center with a brand new tire!

Aren't they supposed to take it off when they mount the tires?
If they don't, how come I had noise from only one tire?
No, it’s vulcanized into the bead. Non-removable unless you get out an abrasive wheel. All tires have them.

No idea on why it was only one. Sometimes it’s three, sometimes it’s one. Could be any number of things that causes the squeak. If dirt gets in there on a rainy day, it might quiet it for some time. The stretched profile of these tires means that barcode is more likely to see the light of day.

I had a Volvo years ago with stretched Michelins and all four of them squeaked. It was absolutely infuriating and I had no idea what the problem was at the time. Ever since owning an MYP it makes sense now.

Tesla service centers seem no different from traditional dealers in that you can experience great, terrible and everything in between. I just picked up a 2013 P85 cheap because the previous owner had such a terrible experience that as more repairs arose he chose to sell it for a loss after 8 months of ownership for a loss, rather then deal with them again.