Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla shopping, all have dings that PDR techs don't want to touch? Are you guys living with your dings?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

I'm brand new here. I'm shopping for a Model 3 (2018-2020). Understandably, each one I've test drove, has some sort of ding in the body (age). The issue I'm running into, PDR tech's, don't want to touch. I've looked t so many, not sure what to do. A brand new one is out of the budget. To spend $30k on used one, with dings, is a tough call.

Just wondering, how do you Tesla owner deal with dings?

Thank you!

Can someone chime-in? It's a sincere question. I've spoke with three PDR techs, no luck. Is this normal? Are you guys finding the same issue, when you ding your ride?

Thanks!

Perhaps it depends on what specific panel the ding is on. I had a ding on my fender and a PDR guy got it out perfectly.

The 3 PDR guys you checked with, do they have a lot of experience working on Teslas? If not, that could be the issue. This is what I recommend you do. Check with your local Tesla service center or retail store and ask them to recommend either a Tesla approved body shop or a local place that installs PPF. Most PPF shops have PDR guys they routinely use to remove dings before applying PPF. That is how I found my PDR guy. He was recommended to me by the same place that installed my Xpel PPF, which was originally recommended to me by my Tesla sales rep.

There are plenty of 2017/2018 era vintage 3s with zero dings out there (mine included), keep looking!

Rock chips, pitted glass, painted panel or plastic trim scuffs, scratches, curb rash are all far more common on these things than dents/dings.
I second this. We have two 3’s. My wife and I both park in public lots for work and definitely don’t baby the cars. They show some wear - but dings are not the issue.

Perhaps it depends on what specific panel the ding is on. I had a ding on my fender and a PDR guy got it out perfectly.

The 3 PDR guys you checked with, do they have a lot of experience working on Teslas? If not, that could be the issue. This is what I recommend you do. Check with your local Tesla service center or retail store and ask them to recommend either a Tesla approved body shop or a local place that installs PPF. Most PPF shops have PDR guys they routinely use to remove dings before applying PPF. That is how I found my PDR guy. He was recommended to me by the same place that installed my Xpel PPF, which was originally recommended to me by my Tesla sales rep.
Excellent idea! Thank you much! Really appreciate this, totally didn't think about asking the dealer 10 minutes from my home.

There's absolutely nothing unusual about Tesla bodywork. I'm guessing you're in an area where Teslas are not common and the PDR techs you're talking to just don't want to commit to a brand they haven't heard of. They often need to pull trim or interior panels for access and every brand uses a different mix of snaps, screws, and hooks so it can be frustrating to work on an unfamiliar model.

Ask your local service center for a PDR referral.

There's absolutely nothing unusual about Tesla bodywork. I'm guessing you're in an area where Teslas are not common and the PDR techs you're talking to just don't want to commit to a brand they haven't heard of. They often need to pull trim or interior panels for access and every brand uses a different mix of snaps, screws, and hooks so it can be frustrating to work on an unfamiliar model.

Ask your local service center for a PDR referral.
I believe you nailed it, was thinking the same. I’m in Minnesota, there are a handful of Tesla owners (not many really), and we do have a few Supercharger locations. I did, purchase the last Model 3 I test drove, complete with door ding. Rest of the car is excellent. The price was too good to pass, 2018 MR, RWD, only 39,xxx, and under $30k. I‘m confident I’ll find a PDR Tech somewhere.

Thanks

Reactions: DocHolliday