Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla should offer the dash cam as a freemium feature.

How much would you be willing to pay for ALL OUT dash cam functionality in your Tesla?

• $500

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • $1000

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • $1500

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Already have FSD, want premium included.

Votes: 19 50.0%
  • Would buy FSD right now if premium dashcam included

Votes: 3 7.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The dash cam feature offered in v9 is very limited and makes sense to offer for free.

However, I hope Tesla offers a premium package that can be equal or even better than a 3rd party solution like Blackvue.

With funding, they can budget and devote a team to develop and enhance the dashcam functions.

As they say, there is no such thing as a free lunch.

A director of dashcam development and a team of senior engineers devoted to the product should be able to make a really awesome product. Use all cameras, remote viewings, suppler for robust storage, etc.

I think either $1000 or FSD is a good buy in for Tesla to go all out on this.

If feedback is positive and interest is there we can submit to Tesla for consideration.

I would rather have decent phone connectivity, at least as good as 12K honda

I was really surprised the dash cam functionality wasn't bundled with EAP as it uses that hardware for the function, and it's clearly a convenience feature versus a safety one.

Maybe they couldn't bundle it because it didn't work with AP2, and required the AP2.5 hardware. So they couldn't include it within the EAP options as that would have pissed off all the AP2 owners royally.

The only way they could release was to offer it for free as part of the vehicle.

In the future I imagine they'll tie the dash cam functionality in with the connectivity option. So you have to pay for that in order to stream video from your car.

The dash cam feature offered in v9 is very limited and makes sense to offer for free.

However, I hope Tesla offers a premium package that can be equal or even better than a 3rd party solution like Blackvue.

With funding, they can budget and devote a team to develop and enhance the dashcam functions.

As they say, there is no such thing as a free lunch.

A director of dashcam development and a team of senior engineers devoted to the product should be able to make a really awesome product. Use all cameras, remote viewings, suppler for robust storage, etc.

I think either $1000 or FSD is a good buy in for Tesla to go all out on this.

If feedback is positive and interest is there we can submit to Tesla for consideration.

Question:
Do you have to have EAP to use the current Tesla dashcam (the 10 minute clips saved to the USB drive) ?