Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla should open-source the MCU code

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What Is MISRA? An Overview of the MISRA Standard | Perforce Software

What Is MISRA?
MISRA® is a set of C and C++ coding standards, developed by the Motor Industry Software Reliability Association (MISRA).

What's more, MISRA a top coding standard for embedded industries, including automotive. And, MISRA ensures that C/C++ code is safe, secure, and reliable.

How to Comply With the MISRA Standard
The MISRA standard is one of the best coding standards for embedded systems. In this white paper, you'll learn best practices for adopting and complying with the MISRA standard.

You'll learn:

• What the MISRA C standard covers — MISRA C:1998, MISRA C:2004, and MISRA C:2012.
  • Why you should adopt MISRA C coding standards.
  • How MISRA C/C++ improves new and legacy codebases.
  • Which MISRA checkers enforce compliance.

the kernel is pretty secure IF you keep up with the upstream patches (no idea if tesla does; my guess is that they, like most of the vendors that use linux, do NOT keep up with all the updates and have a guy (or even better, more than 1) who decides what version of this lib or that app they take. they have to test it and lock it down (the changes) and only permit changes they agree with and have tested (and feel safe about). that's a lot of work and most companies do NOT do this (very sad to say that but its true, and its my experience in the industry; 25+ years in bay area, etc)

userland is another story, altogether ([airplane]userland is another story[/airplane]). there are bugs and they sometimes go a long time before being found. I use linux, have been for quite a long time, I love it, but I also realize that its not the right tool for safety-critical things unless you take significant pains (MISRA, anyone?). I have my doubts as to how well tesla does all this (I have not seen any of their code, and frankly, don't want to). but I have a hunch that there are some major security holes that a good pen-testing team would find. thru CAN, thru LIN, thru places you may not even expect. I've seen it, indirectly, and it amazed me.

I'm a VERY open source person, but for cars (a field I work in, currently) I'm not sure I agree. there are even lower level OSs than linux that have more safety certification-based designs and limitations (limits are good, for embedded).

besides all that, to be really effective at working on car systems that have so many dependancies, you have to be 'in' the group, have good access to info and even then its a challenge ;) this is not for outsiders and its hard enough to manage insiders.

I disagree with a a lot of what you say here.

thanks for such an informative post.

There are hundreds of open source projects that function perfectly well. There is no reason why an open source Tesla MCU project couldn't be very productive. There might be forks. So be it.

From what I've seen of the Tesla MCU software, it wouldn't take much to beat it. For starters, open up the OS and create a repo so that developers can contribute to it and users can easily install and uninstall software on their own. Second, create a bugzilla and start tracking bugs and wanted features.

Tesla is shooting itself in the foot by keeping things locked down and ignoring its user base.