Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla showing how much more expensive they are compared to a petrol equivalent.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny thread. Tesla ‘honesty’ is actually Tesla ‘silly maths error’. 😅
Funny reply but typical of internet forums. It actually is a math / data entry error.

MS raven here, running 270 Wh/mi summer, 330 winter. Intelligent Octopus tariff at 0.057 $/Kwhr, ICE equiv of MS would be 30-40 mpg. Works out to less than 10% of petrol costs.

EDIT: Actually my IO is 70p/Kwhr - used to be 35p which I quoted above. So it works out to 14% of ICE cost.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gadgetman67
Electric rates here are $0.09 / kwh. 1 kwh = ~~3 miles $0.09 / 3 miles = $0.03 / mile.

Gasoline here is ~~ $3.00 / gallon 1 gallon = 30 miles $3.00 / 30 miles = $0.10 / mile

Only considering fuel costs -

If currently a Tesla is $20,000 more than a comparable ICE vehicle, then (at today's prices) $20,000 / $0.07 = 285,714 miles. So in that many miles, fuel savings alone would pay the difference. But that's a long time and a lot more miles than most people put on an ICE vehicle. Further the price of energy will likely change so much by that time, calculations made now will be meaningless then.

On an electric vehicle, other costs could actually be more significant than fuel? No engine, transmission, exhaust system or brake maintenance, will likely outweigh the fuel savings.

The bottom line is really what kind of vehicle will best fit your needs and make you happy, considering your position on the importance of sustainable energy and the best way to achieve it. The economics just aren't that significant.
These sorts of figures are very country specific and your figures bear little relationship to the equivalents in Europe. Even our Gallons are not the same.
Petrol here for example is over $8 per UK gallon so something like $6.70 in US gallons. but we can charge at home at night for not much more than you e.g. $0.12.

My data input error this time - corrected above. IO low rate of 7p/Kwhr = $0.057. It used to be 3.5P which is what I stated before edit. Still less than 10% of ICE costs.
?!
where is that 3,5p pulled off???

5p off peak was 2020 / 2021 price.

Since March 2022 it was 7.5 p per off-peak kwh and 33 peak kwh and now, since September or October 2022 it is 10p off peak and 42p peak as IO rate

what sorcery your rate is?! or is it same single stack calculation like on tesla website? :D

Funny reply but typical of internet forums. It actually is a math / data entry error.

MS raven here, running 270 Wh/mi summer, 330 winter. Intelligent Octopus tariff at 0.057 $/Kwhr, ICE equiv of MS would be 30-40 mpg. Works out to less than 10% of petrol costs.
“honesty” as per the opening post..
a bit surprised to see that they are being quite honest about the fact it will cost more to charge this than an equivalent petrol car.
That is after all what this thread was about, before @yessuz picked up the maths error. Not more or less or how it’s “typical of internet forums”. Other than to state the obvious. 😅

?!
where is that 3,5p pulled off???

5p off peak was 2020 / 2021 price.

Since March 2022 it was 7.5 p per off-peak kwh and 33 peak kwh and now, since September or October 2022 it is 10p off peak and 42p peak as IO rate

what sorcery your rate is?! or is it same single stack calculation like on tesla website? :D
Actually was my low rate until Aug 2022 on Go fixed. Now on 7.14p IO until Aug 2023 👍

Last edited:
I occasionally browse existing stock, not that I would ever by another Tesla but it does give me a chuckle now and then.

Anyway, I was browsing and stumbled across a model S and was a bit surprised to see that they are being quite honest about the fact it will cost more to charge this than an equivalent petrol car.

It gets even more interesting or depressing if you fiddle with the mileage, petrol economy and local charging cost to better suit personal ciscumstances , as per my example below;

View attachment 921783
Stupid:
- No car that is even close to a Model S gets anything near 45 MPG. Try 20 MPG
- If you are actually paying 0.73/kWh during charging times, you have serious problems.

Every time I see these "comparisons" that show EVs more expensive than ICE, they have severely distorted the number like this example.

Stupid:
- No car that is even close to a Model S gets anything near 45 MPG. Try 20 MPG
- If you are actually paying 0.73/kWh during charging times, you have serious problems.

Every time I see these "comparisons" that show EVs more expensive than ICE, they have severely distorted the number like this example.
sorry, but large diesels have good MPGs to be fair

Depends what you consider to be an "equivalent" to a MS I guess. First result I got on Google for "equivalent combustion car for Tesla model S" was an Audi S7. Comes out at 19-27 MPG according to HonestJohn. Obviously depends how you drive it too!
Audi S7 Diesel engines: 35.3 - 50.4 mpg
Remember, it is very efficient at speed up to 70 mph.

at the same time, you cannot compare the 85 mph consmption with diesel/petrol vs 65 mph consumption of electric.

it is very efficient at speed up to 70 mph.

I looked for (and didn't find) a breakdown of the various test scenarios MPG.

I was curious to know how town driving would compare - as I am assuming that EV is only using fuel when moving, whereas Diesel will be less efficient in that sort of driving - and possibly stop/start mode would improve that compared to yesteryear.

Could do with a "lifetime" consumption figure from an owner ...

I looked for (and didn't find) a breakdown of the various test scenarios MPG.

I was curious to know how town driving would compare - as I am assuming that EV is only using fuel when moving, whereas Diesel will be less efficient in that sort of driving - and possibly stop/start mode would improve that compared to yesteryear.

Could do with a "lifetime" consumption figure from an owner ...
Well that's the thing ...

I can assure you that Tesla never ever puts any consumption figures at anything above 70 mpg. Probably it is closer to 60.

I can also tell you with past experience that BMW 530d used to be easily at around 6 ltr / 100 km when driven at 60 - 65 mph which is like 47 imperial mpg. And diesel consumption is always better than petrol

Heck my petrol saab 9-3 used to do similar figures on 2 ltr petrol engine when driven 60 mph.

• Funny
Reactions: WannabeOwner
i owned an Audi S7 before my Model 3 and can tell you it never ever got 50mpg, 43 was its best on a run from hampshire to scotland.

Most of the time it was low 30's.

Was an amazing car, dont get me wrong and probably one of my favourite all round cars to date, but a fuel efficient diesel it was not. 21's, 275's all round, near 1850kg i think.

i owned an Audi S7 before my Model 3 and can tell you it never ever got 50mpg, 43 was its best on a run from hampshire to scotland.

Most of the time it was low 30's.

Was an amazing car, dont get me wrong and probably one of my favourite all round cars to date, but a fuel efficient diesel it was not. 21's, 275's all round, near 1850kg i think.
so, 43.

at the same time you probably never ever got anything close to Tesla's claimed range