Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another day with Tesla… Reached out and was told my previous issue that was sent over to Tier 2 was closed without any notes. So have to start over again there after these past two weeks. Also I had something interesting happen last night. Has anyone seen this where the app says the batteries dropped to zero?

Attachments

• IMG_2042.jpeg
    IMG_2042.jpeg
    85.8 KB · Views: 51
Another day with Tesla… Reached out and was told my previous issue that was sent over to Tier 2 was closed without any notes. So have to start over again there after these past two weeks. Also I had something interesting happen last night. Has anyone seen this where the app says the batteries dropped to zero?
Never saw zero. I did see a sharp dive before. I think it was about 3 percent dip. The sun wasn’t out. So I believe it was Grid charged back to the reverse level I had it at. Not sure. I would have to check. It’s been a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrewHou
I used to see those dips because of connectivity issues either with the WiFi or Cellular. All resolved now that it’s hardwired.

Also, sometimes the data will be filled in later. Check tomorrow and it might be gone.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: DrewHou and Jones1
I used to see those dips because of connectivity issues either with the WiFi or Cellular. All resolved now that it’s hardwired.

Also, sometimes the data will be filled in later. Check tomorrow and it might be gone.
Oh super useful! I wonder if maybe my router updated last night around that time. I wish my router had a log that would show me that. All of my security cameras now have a buffer where they will upload the missing footage after it reconnects so I can no longer use that as a way to see when my wifi drops off.

Thanks for that I didn’t know wifi disconnects could cause it to report 0%.

Reactions: wiltoking
Hey All

Have a few questions and advice on how to proceed.

I've been following this forum for a few months looking at installs and tips, but here is my situation.

I started off reaching out to Tesla to start the process for a solar roof with battery backup system. Definitely was getting two back up batteries with the solar roof. When I was initially looking at this I was calculating everything based off of my current usage. But on this coming Friday I take possession of a 2023 MSP. So that changed my outlook to needing about 12, 000 kWh for the year.

Spoke to a Tesla rep on the phone. He walk me through and agreed that I needed at minimum a 9.8 kWh system. We went through the process and placed the order and he advised that it goes on to a design team who will reach out to me. 2 days later I get an email from them saying that they cannot complete my order as my house does not qualify and canceled my order and refunded me the deposit.

Not making any sense to me, especially being at my house is just over 2 years old, I reached out to them for more details.

Come to find out the reason why my order was canceled was because the size of the panels were too large to fit the minimum number of panels on my roof which is eight panels according to the rep. The odd part about this is that I've had several solar dealers who installed Tesla products. Both panels, shingles and backup batteries. All say that they could easily get 10 to 15 panels on my roof.

Moving on I went online researching independent installers who could at least provide me with two power walls and figure out the panels that I will get.

On top of that, I also ordered a span panel but have not found a master electrician or span certified installer to install it yet, but it is being delivered to my house next week.

My question!

I have received information from KW Solar, Freedom Forever Solar, Integrated Sun, Solar SME.

Do any of you all have any experience with any of these companies?
What about the customer service?
Are they overpriced comparatively to the industry standards?
If you have a span panel, was it installed by the Tesla installers or did you have a separate installer?

Any advice would definitely help.

Reactions: Jones1 and DrewHou
Hey All

Have a few questions and advice on how to proceed.

I've been following this forum for a few months looking at installs and tips, but here is my situation.

I started off reaching out to Tesla to start the process for a solar roof with battery backup system. Definitely was getting two back up batteries with the solar roof. When I was initially looking at this I was calculating everything based off of my current usage. But on this coming Friday I take possession of a 2023 MSP. So that changed my outlook to needing about 12, 000 kWh for the year.

Spoke to a Tesla rep on the phone. He walk me through and agreed that I needed at minimum a 9.8 kWh system. We went through the process and placed the order and he advised that it goes on to a design team who will reach out to me. 2 days later I get an email from them saying that they cannot complete my order as my house does not qualify and canceled my order and refunded me the deposit.

Not making any sense to me, especially being at my house is just over 2 years old, I reached out to them for more details.

Come to find out the reason why my order was canceled was because the size of the panels were too large to fit the minimum number of panels on my roof which is eight panels according to the rep. The odd part about this is that I've had several solar dealers who installed Tesla products. Both panels, shingles and backup batteries. All say that they could easily get 10 to 15 panels on my roof.

Moving on I went online researching independent installers who could at least provide me with two power walls and figure out the panels that I will get.

On top of that, I also ordered a span panel but have not found a master electrician or span certified installer to install it yet, but it is being delivered to my house next week.

My question!

I have received information from KW Solar, Freedom Forever Solar, Integrated Sun, Solar SME.

Do any of you all have any experience with any of these companies?
What about the customer service?
Are they overpriced comparatively to the industry standards?
If you have a span panel, was it installed by the Tesla installers or did you have a separate installer?

Any advice would definitely help.
So couple of items I can speak to. Others may have more information to fill in but here’s what I can help with.

If you can only fit 10-15 panels on your roof that explains why they can not do a 9.8kw system. I have a 9.2kw system which is 23 Tesla panels total. So that explains that part. Granted some solar panels are smaller footprint than others and can produce more per panel. So you may have luck finding others panels that could help you with this.

Span Panel: I have span and had it installed. When I purchased the span panel they arranged everything including permits and installation. Not sure where you are located but I could pass along the contact info of the installer Span sent out to do mine. He was really great and done an amazing job. However, if you are going to do solar it would make sense to wait and have the solar installer you choose to do it at the same time since it will be cheaper (most likely) and will also make obtaining permits simpler.

Also congrats on the MSP!

Reactions: Jones1
So couple of items I can speak to. Others may have more information to fill in but here’s what I can help with.

If you can only fit 10-15 panels on your roof that explains why they can not do a 9.8kw system. I have a 9.2kw system which is 23 Tesla panels total. So that explains that part. Granted some solar panels are smaller footprint than others and can produce more per panel. So you may have luck finding others panels that could help you with this.

Span Panel: I have span and had it installed. When I purchased the span panel they arranged everything including permits and installation. Not sure where you are located but I could pass along the contact info of the installer Span sent out to do mine. He was really great and done an amazing job. However, if you are going to do solar it would make sense to wait and have the solar installer you choose to do it at the same time since it will be cheaper (most likely) and will also make obtaining permits simpler.

Also congrats on the MSP!
Thanks for the response.

I went through Span and they continuously want to meet and the first 2 meetings were a waste of time just to get an installer and give them my money.

I ended up finding out their distributor and ordered the panel directly myself Even though I know I have to get it installed and commissioned through a Span certified installer. In my mind I figured I got the largest part of the cost out of the way. What I was planning to do was to have the installer put the span panel in at the same time I was doing solar to prevent having to do two meter pulls.

All in, if you don't mind sharing, how much did your span and install cost in totality. I was able to get the span panel for $4300 which was more tax and shipping than anything.

I'm in Houston right off I-10 in the regentrified part of the greater 5th Ward.

Thanks for the congrats. I had a custom built 2021 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio and just sold it yesterday.

Thanks for the response.

I went through Span and they continuously want to meet and the first 2 meetings were a waste of time just to get an installer and give them my money.

I ended up finding out their distributor and ordered the panel directly myself Even though I know I have to get it installed and commissioned through a Span certified installer. In my mind I figured I got the largest part of the cost out of the way. What I was planning to do was to have the installer put the span panel in at the same time I was doing solar to prevent having to do two meter pulls.

All in, if you don't mind sharing, how much did your span and install cost in totality. I was able to get the span panel for $4300 which was more tax and shipping than anything.

I'm in Houston right off I-10 in the regentrified part of the greater 5th Ward.

Thanks for the congrats. I had a custom built 2021 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio and just sold it yesterday.
Yeah the calls with span were a bit much. I only had one call and then I purchased directly after. I liked the call because I was able to ask a lot of questions. I paid 4,500 for the span including taxes and shipping. Then my install was 2,420 including permit costs. So 6,920 total.

They sent out Volt-Pro Electric for the install. Guys name was Joel which was the operations manager according to his emails. Again, I couldn’t recommend this guy enough. From my understanding the install costs are done in tiers based on complexity and they are locked prices for the certified installers so you may not be able to get around pricing on the install.

The biggest pain is the city inspector. That guy wanted to complain about something unrelated to my span panel at the time (Teslas solar work) and wanted to fail the span install because of it. However my installer knew him from other work and was able to get him to just sign off.

Yeah the calls with span were a bit much. I only had one call and then I purchased directly after. I liked the call because I was able to ask a lot of questions. I paid 4,500 for the span including taxes and shipping. Then my install was 2,420 including permit costs. So 6,920 total.

They sent out Volt-Pro Electric for the install. Guys name was Joel which was the operations manager according to his emails. Again, I couldn’t recommend this guy enough. From my understanding the install costs are done in tiers based on complexity and they are locked prices for the certified installers so you may not be able to get around pricing on the install.

The biggest pain is the city inspector. That guy wanted to complain about something unrelated to my span panel at the time (Teslas solar work) and wanted to fail the span install because of it. However my installer knew him from other work and was able to get him to just sign off.
Funny enough, they sent me Joels name as well. Last name is Sergiano or something like that. He mentioned to me that he has a lot of clients who wants span panels but he has little to no control of getting them in hand. I told him today that I have the ability to get them in hand with no problems but I have no installer so he seemed to be more interested in the business deal which I'm not opposed to but at 2400 I'll have to pray a little bit lol.

But since I'm not going directly through span maybe I can negotiate with him which is probably why he was more inclined to tell me not to go through span in just to call him on his cell phone. So if I have the panel and he does the install, it's a consumer to client relationships so it may work out better in the end.

Funny enough, they sent me Joels name as well. Last name is Sergiano or something like that. He mentioned to me that he has a lot of clients who wants span panels but he has little to no control of getting them in hand. I told him today that I have the ability to get them in hand with no problems but I have no installer so he seemed to be more interested in the business deal which I'm not opposed to but at 2400 I'll have to pray a little bit lol.

But since I'm not going directly through span maybe I can negotiate with him which is probably why he was more inclined to tell me not to go through span in just to call him on his cell phone. So if I have the panel and he does the install, it's a consumer to client relationships so it may work out better in the end.
That’s the guy! If you can work a side deal I’d go for it. He definitely knows what he’s doing and maybe when span isn’t involved he can work numbers as I’m sure span is taking a cut of that install price.

You've been most helpful. Definitely will go direct. He definitely implied that span takes a cut.
Also, for your solar system issues. Here’s another thing you could do but there is a little risk in the fact that energy company plans change.

You could max out the solar with as much as your roof can handle. Pair that with a free nights energy plan. Then charge car only at night when it is free, even charge up your powerwalls if needed from the grid at night.

That’s what I am currently doing since I couldn’t get as much solar as I wanted / needed. I’m paying 6 bucks a month for energy usage. Again I’m sure these free night plans won’t last forever in Texas as more people get solar and batteries but it could be worth it if you can’t find a system to provide you with enough production.

Also, for your solar system issues. Here’s another thing you could do but there is a little risk in the fact that energy company plans change.

You could max out the solar with as much as your roof can handle. Pair that with a free nights energy plan. Then charge car only at night when it is free, even charge up your powerwalls if needed from the grid at night.

That’s what I am currently doing since I couldn’t get as much solar as I wanted / needed. I’m paying 6 bucks a month for energy usage. Again I’m sure these free night plans won’t last forever in Texas as more people get solar and batteries but it could be worth it if you can’t find a system to provide you with enough production.
It's funny you say that. I actually pre-planned for that in my setup design in my head. So at the beginning of this year I signed a 60 month agreement for free nights that start at 8:00PM. Originally I was on the truly eight free days playing where they give you the highest usage days for 2 days in each week free. But when I did the math on it with solar up bill should be no more than about $8 to $15 a month. My plan was to try to capture as much as I can during the day to run my house while I'm working from home. When you're ready of the day and then at night whatever wasn't replenish to the battery can be done as well as charging the car.
Screenshot_20230314-192744.png

It's funny you say that. I actually pre-planned for that in my setup design in my head. So at the beginning of this year I signed a 60 month agreement for free nights that start at 8:00PM. Originally I was on the truly eight free days playing where they give you the highest usage days for 2 days in each week free. But when I did the math on it with solar up bill should be no more than about $8 to $15 a month. My plan was to try to capture as much as I can during the day to run my house while I'm working from home. When you're ready of the day and then at night whatever wasn't replenish to the battery can be done as well as charging the car. View attachment 917677
Hahaha I was on that same 2 highest days free plan before I got solar too. What a rip off that was. I seriously had some of the highest electric bills in my life on that plan. I was trying to remember to do all my laundry on the same days I charged my car and also try to do those things on the hottest days of the week so my AC costs could be lower. It was all to much to balance out and still was getting crazy bills. Free nights with solar is perfect. My only problem is the truly free nights plan I’m on with reliant is only a 12 month contract so I am trying to find a 3 year one now so I can lock it in. 5 year would be even better haha.

In the hottest months of last year my reliant bills were reaching over 500 dollars a month. Which was when I decided I had to get solar. This is in a house that is only 6 years old so I can’t imagine what some people must be paying in larger older homes.

Hahaha I was on that same 2 highest days free plan before I got solar too. What a rip off that was. I seriously had some of the highest electric bills in my life on that plan. I was trying to remember to do all my laundry on the same days I charged my car and also try to do those things on the hottest days of the week so my AC costs could be lower. It was all to much to balance out and still was getting crazy bills. Free nights with solar is perfect. My only problem is the truly free nights plan I’m on with reliant is only a 12 month contract so I am trying to find a 3 year one now so I can lock it in. 5 year would be even better haha.

In the hottest months of last year my reliant bills were reaching over 500 dollars a month. Which was when I decided I had to get solar. This is in a house that is only 6 years old so I can’t imagine what some people must be paying in larger older homes.
The trick is is that they won't tell you on the website but when you call verbally to renew you tell them you want the 60 plan because it's not advertised. So when you're up for renewal which is normally 60 days before the end date you call them back and tell them you want 60 months. Fortunately I built my house just over 2 years ago and I normally don't use more then 700 kWh maybe 800 on a hot day.

But with the truly free nights it's a game changer because just like you I was trying to do everything on the same day twice a week and the hard part about it is that I work from home so I was running the air doing the day and trying to decide when not to lol. It was definitely a sxxx show around here.

Reactions: DrewHou and Jones1