Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_0320.jpeg
IMG_0321.jpeg

👀 finally the update I have been waiting on!

• Informative
Reactions: Jones1
I'm on the south side of Houston, just outside Harris Co. I have a 14.8kw system with 2 PW's. I started this process in Jun 2021, signed the agreement with Tesla in late Jul 2021, the system was installed in April and I'm still waiting on PTO. I have a lot of lessons learned but to keep it short, here are the key ones..

- Tesla customer service really sucks and they will annoy the scat out of you. I kind of knew this going in. I figured the early pain would be worth it in the long run. Still not sure about that, ask me after I get PTO. I have fully paid for my system... still no PTO. A text to my PA last week was unanswered. I need to call and speak to a person on Tuesday. But rest assured, if you go Tesla there will be times of frustration if not outright anger.
- 1 PW has not a snow balls chance in hell of getting you through 1-2 days. They are really only referring to essential loads. If you just want to run lights and refrigerator etc, maybe so, but we live on AC (I have two AC systems) and these drive a ton of consumption. So does an electric clothes dryer and appliances like an electric oven. I have two PWs, they get charged to 100% every day. I have my reserve set to 20% and I hit that at 0145 this evening. So now I'm on the grid until the Sun comes up high enough to produce. Since I don't yet have PTO I don't have any credits to offset this usage. See the lesson above on Tesla Customer support.
- Tesla had my initial design using their new Backup Switch. I was a 'beta tester' they said. I didn't really want to be. The Backup Switch was eventually not allowed by my power company (TNMP) so my system had to be redesigned and resubmitted which resulted in a lot of my delays. In the end I'm happier with the Gateway 2 instead of the Backup Switch. But it set me back. They also changed my system from 425 panels to 400w panels (and more of them). Not a big impact, just another spin on the design.
- I did go with MP2. Tesla strongly recommended it. They had a slight discount deal for Tesla Solar customers. You have to call to get it. I researched all the net metering plans I was eligible for and MP2 was the best. They other plans have all now changed to resetting your credits at the end of each billing cycle. MP2 resets the end of December. If you are in an area that has Free Nights plan you may find that more advantageous. There is a separate thread on this. If you are TNMP you can't get that. I switched to MP2 even before I had solar installed. It did make things go more smoothly.
- On a positive note, the installers that put the system in were very good and did meticulous work. Other people from the Tesla office in Sugarland have been good to work with. It is the corporate office that sucks.

My suggestion to you is get more production and PW. Once you have the system installed you won't want to go through that again to increase the size of the system. I didn't realize just how extensive a project it would be. Probably the most complex home improvement project you can do. It involved designs that have to meet national and local and power company requirements. It needs drawings, building permits, inspections, from the fire department, the city building inspector, the power company. It just seems to go on and on. So do it right the first time, don't expect to have the energy to go through this again. Would I go through this again with Tesla? Ask me a year after I have PTO and all the frustration has faded away.

edit: if you want to charge your Model Y from solar you need to go bigger IMHO. This is my future intention. I paid a little extra to have more panels installed. I asked them to max out the south side of the roof which added nearly 2Kw more production. I may not have enough to charge an EV from solar. I probably can over several days of good sun. Or keep up with daily charging (except I work during the day and I'm not home). Or.. if you can find a Free Night plan and run off solar and PW during the day you can charge the heck out of your MY for free all night long.

I got a notice that somone 'liked' this post and I re-read my thoughts from over a year ago. And a few times I say 'ask me in a year' well now it has been more than a year and I thought I'd give my feedback now after living with the system for more than a year and also more than a year of owning my Model 3 RWD.

- I did get PTO of course but it took 399 days. I had some unique delays and went through 3 (I think) customer reps. The local Tesla installers were great. The virtual customer service reps are hit and miss. But the good news is that I've never needed customer service once the system was operational. A co-worker of mine who lives a few miles from me and had his system installed about the same time had to get all his panels re-installed because they were not correctly anchored to the roof. We live in a Hurricane build zone. But they did come out and do this work under warranty. No issues at all with my system, knock wood.
- I still have MP2 but now called Shell Energy. I'm in the TNMP gird area and this was the best plan TNMP supported at the time. They did not support any TOU plans. Now they do and I might think about changing. But I have this plan locked in for a few more years. One thing I did not understand was that even though this plan banks any kWhs I export, they do charge me a fee to deliver those banked kWhr when I use them. So I'm not being charged for the electricity, but I do get charged for delivering them. This results in higher than expected bills in the hot summer months when I use those banked kWhr to run my two A/C units nearly all day, day after day. But still my highest bills was around $56.
- Would I do it again? Yes. What would I do differently? I may have gotten a 3rd PW if I were doing this again. It may not pay itself back, but having a larger battery during the summer months would make the house more resilient to Hurricane type of outages. That doesn't happen very often. It is an edge case but one reason I got the system. A third PW would be useless in cooler months. And I'm hoping/expecting that one day I'll have a Tesla that has Vehicle to Home capability then I can easily ride out that edge case when it comes. My co-worker has 4 PWs and 16kw panels and has a hard time getting them charged.
- I am happy I increased the panels to 14.8 kw. I had space to go larger and I kind of wished I put a few more kWs. But that would have been on a different surface on my roof and increased the complexity of the design. It would give me more capacity for a 2nd EV and other uses, like the mini-split I installed in my garage. I charge my EV at the house. The system easily supports the house loads and EV charging over the course of a year. Below is my monthly grid usage and exported (banked) kWhrs. At one point I had over 3,000 banked kWhrs. I ended the year with 975. If/when we get a 2nd EV I might switch to a free nights plan and use the Solar to get me through the day time.

1706945409294.png

- Here are my costs for the same months. You can see I was charged for delivery of grid power but credited the banked kWrs. Still not bad for a 3,400 SF house in Houston Texas in a hot summer.

1706945640399.png

So….
Tesla sent one installer.
Last time they sent two guys for the PW.
Tesla seems to be cutting back on installation. Going more with third party contractors.
PW3 can be wired with PW2.
Tesla has chosen to have them not compatible through software.
Tesla can make the changes later down the road if they wanted.
The Tesla Energy office or warehouse is in Sugarland. I always noticed a lot of Tesla Vans on that side of the beltway.

We have 4 cloudy days coming up. Let’s see how the Triplets hold up. It does suck sending all this energy back to the grid for .03 buy back. At least I don’t have a bill. I’ll still probably jump back to Tesla Electric. Soon. 🤔

I paid that for 1 PW in 2020. That’s why I jumped on it. You get a discount for having a PV and PW system. It’s about $2k-$3k I think. Then you get the discount for two. Or more. Not sure. I didn’t take pictures of that page. I’ll go back and check. @DrewHou do you remember the initial discounts?

Reactions: DrewHou
Wait. The total should be 17K something?
So it’s - $2100 for expansion discount. Also minus the down payment. I also don’t see the charge for placing my PW’s on the other side of my garage. They had it listed at $1600 charge. It’s taken off. I haven’t gotten the final updated documents. After closing the purchase. They sent me the updated invoice after I paid the down payment or right before.