Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, I don’t remember where I read or heard this but my understanding is that even when the powerwalls show 100% in the app it’s really not. Tesla added a bit of a reserve in order to be able to protect the battery. I tend to believe it since when storm watch kicks in my span panel reports longer backup time than when my batteries are just at 100% normally.
This. The PW has more than 14kw total storage

Reactions: DrewHou and Jones1
This. The PW has more than 14kw total storage
Love this App. Net Zero

1708641057970.png

Reactions: DrewHou
I am on free nights so PW charges to 100% by 11pm and doesn’t get used until 7am. Should I be worried about it sitting at 100% over 8 hours? The additional 8% buffer (over 14kw total) makes me think it’s okay…thoughts?
I’m an engineer. I’m not a battery expert. At all.
Knowing what I know about Machines, Power sources , High Voltage and Tesla. You will probably have another issue. Before the battery degrades low enough for it to be a warranty claim. I’m not worried.

Reactions: DTXMME and DrewHou
I am also not an engineer but I have an inquisitive mind. What do you think about charging battery to 50% starting at 9pm and then to 100% at 5am? Would
This prolong battery life? Is there even a way to enable this in netzero?

I work on 480 volt machines and higher.
With high voltage capacitors and inverters. Blah blah blah. I’m off from work. So I avoid the terminology.

A relay will go out first. You still have to dismantle the equipment. To change a hard to reach relay. We charge the same. If not covered. If a $100 relay or contactor stops working. You have no PW. If you have a warranty still you are covered. I have boards that go bad. $,$$$’$. Way before a contact. So when I replace a board. If the customer doesn’t have the service contract. Or warranty. It’s going to cost. With today’s technology. It’s a No fix situation. Meaning. If this fuse is blown then replace this that and that. It could not have anything to do with the actual problem. But to sauce money down the road. This is the coarse of action chosen by the manufacturer or the install company.

No customization on real PW optimization yet.

Are they LFP the better technology for home storage. No. But they have a warranty. That’s all you can rely on.
I love this discourse. This is how we learn more. For free. 😆

Last edited:
Anyone get the Net Zero automation to work for PW?
I tried to set the PW to switch to 50% backup at 9pm. Didn’t happen. I may be missing an input setting. Not sure.

Just to check the obvious, it's not 9pm in Texas yet, right? :)
Also, if you create the rule after the designated time (in this case after 9pm) it will only trigger the following day.

If I'm missing something, just send me an email and we can investigate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jones1
Also, if you create the rule after the designated time (in this case after 9pm) it will only trigger the following day.

Ok. I set the rule at 8pm yesterday. Let’s see. I did notice. It wasn’t saved.

Just installed the app on my iphone. The screen greets me with Signin with Tesla/Enphase and below that "Your username and password are only shared with with your solar provider".
There is an extra with in there.

Ok. I set the rule at 8pm yesterday. Let’s see. I did notice. It wasn’t saved.

Ah, that was a version compatibility issue on my end. If you update to the latest app version (1.58), you'll see the automation. It's just a display issue, the automation is saved and should run. Let me know if that's not the case.

Note that the Tesla app only updates the configuration when the app is started. So if you want to confirm that the configuration has been updated, you'd have to restart the app. But that's just a Tesla app issue -- the configuration changes (and resulting behavior) apply to your Powerwall pretty much immediately. The new Netzero version will also show you the status of automation runs.

Just installed the app on my iphone. The screen greets me with Signin with Tesla/Enphase and below that "Your username and password are only shared with with your solar provider".
There is an extra with in there.
Fixed, thanks. It's amazing how the the human brain skips the second one :)

Thanks for the update. I installed the app and have a few question/request
1) When logged in with Tesla credential, it asked permission for 3 things one of them is user profile (name/contact/referral/etc). Why do you need this info? I unselect this so will it affect the functionalities of the app at all?
2) I have 3 gateways, each gateway connects to 2 PW. So a total of 6 Pws total with a 42Kw solar roof system.
The Tesla app is lacking currently that there is no overview for your system. You have to swipe from gateway to gateway to view them.
Can we request a view where you pull total solar generation/usage/etc from all the gateways.

Thanks for the update. I installed the app and have a few question/request
1) When logged in with Tesla credential, it asked permission for 3 things one of them is user profile (name/contact/referral/etc). Why do you need this info? I unselect this so will it affect the functionalities of the app at all?
Tesla's description here is not very accurate, the only information made available is email, name, and profile picture. Netzero only uses the email, to prefill the gateway connection form. App will work fine if you don't select it.

2) I have 3 gateways, each gateway connects to 2 PW. So a total of 6 Pws total with a 42Kw solar roof system.
The Tesla app is lacking currently that there is no overview for your system. You have to swipe from gateway to gateway to view them.
Can we request a view where you pull total solar generation/usage/etc from all the gateways.
Yes, this has been requested before and is on the roadmap.

Reactions: DrewHou and EL0NTRK
I am also not an engineer but I have an inquisitive mind. What do you think about charging battery to 50% starting at 9pm and then to 100% at 5am? Would
This prolong battery life? Is there even a way to enable this in netzero?

One thing I am considering is to change the off-peak time in the settings... so instead of 9P-7A, change it to maybe 12A-7A or something like that. Delay the charging of the battery so that it doesn't stay at 100% for long periods, but also enough to charge to full.

Reactions: DTXMME
Ah, that was a version compatibility issue on my end. If you update to the latest app version (1.58), you'll see the automation. It's just a display issue, the automation is saved and should run. Let me know if that's not the case.

Note that the Tesla app only updates the configuration when the app is started. So if you want to confirm that the configuration has been updated, you'd have to restart the app. But that's just a Tesla app issue -- the configuration changes (and resulting behavior) apply to your Powerwall pretty much immediately. The new Netzero version will also show you the status of automation runs.

1708693970109.png

Just updated the app.

You can have auto updates on and Apple will not update all the apps. I hate that. I have it set to install and update over cellular or WiFi.
You have to check for app updates. Like we have to check The TMC website for notifications. 😆

View attachment 1021052
Just updated the app.

You can have auto updates on and Apple will not update all the apps. I hate that. I have it set to install and update over cellular or WiFi.
You have to check for app updates. Like we have to check The TMC website for notifications. 😆
Will this actually affect the charging since the PW will follow the peak/off peak schedule? I think what shingles posted above is the key. But still need to figure out how to charge it at 50% and not use it.

One thing I am considering is to change the off-peak time in the settings... so instead of 9P-7A, change it to maybe 12A-7A or something like that. Delay the charging of the battery so that it doesn't stay at 100% for long periods, but also enough to charge to full.
I think you are onto something. But using the battery for another 3 hours especially when the AC is running will quickly deplete it to the minimum reserve.