Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Solar Panel now $2.85/W instead of $3.49/W

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Panasonic SC330 330W Panel
SolarEdge Power Optimizer
SolarEdge Single Phase Inverter
Installation/Hardware
Scratching head here. Did I read it wrong? I thought you were talking about a Tesla solar roof installation. That system you list in pretty much identical to what I got in San Diego so maybe prices are a little higher in LA. By the way I love the SolarEdge products.

OK, I see. I was just going by the title "Tesla Solar" which might be a bit misleading to some folks. I guess you mean adding solar for your Tesla.

This post makes it sound like you might be unaware that Tesla also sells and installs solar panels, not just the roof tiles. The panels are Panasonic panels manufactured in the Buffalo Gigafactory.

This post makes it sound like you might be unaware that Tesla also sells and installs solar panels, not just the roof tiles. The panels are Panasonic panels manufactured in the Buffalo Gigafactory.
Correct, I was not aware of that. Thanks for clarifying. The first thing I think of when someone says Tesla solar is the roof panel. So now I am puzzled as to why Tesla is doing both. Wouldn't this compete with the roof tiles (for people replacing a roof or building a new home) ?

OP and others. Just a little helpful hint here if you decide to install a SolarEdge inverter. Most people don't know )….

Ask your installer that when they set-up your SolarEdge account, turn on the ability to see the "panel layout" and "lifetime revenue" tabs in their admin panel? Thus, these additional tabs will show in your web dashboard when you view performance. Normally installers don't do that, but these extra tabs allow you to see individual output of each module (solar panel) and see how the system pays back money to you over time. Of course you have to enter in the cost of your electricity in the admin panel. So ask them to give you admin access because normally they will not do that either. There is nothing you can do to cause a problem or damage the system with admin access so there is really no reason why they shouldn't give it to you. Usually you only see a "dashboard tab" and will not see other tabs such as layout, alerts, or admin. And since you will be a new customer, you would not otherwise know that those tabs ability exist.

When you are able to see the "layout" performance of each module, you will be able to see if a module fails, such as maybe an optimizer fails on a module. That happened on my home in San Diego and the installer company did not alert me. They all claim they monitor your system for problems, but they rarely do. I saw it myself and you may not notice the drop in power from one module going down. Don't trust them to be the only source of monitoring your system. I suggest telling them in advance of purchase that you want this ability and to confirm it in writing. After installation they may or may not be cooperative and make excuses. See my attached partial images to get a clue of what I mean.

Attachments

• SE dashboard.jpg
    SE dashboard.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 137
  • SE revenue.jpg
    SE revenue.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 105
  • SE layout 1.jpg
    SE layout 1.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 125
Reactions: ONEDVSMOFO
Correct, I was not aware of that. Thanks for clarifying. The first thing I think of when someone says Tesla solar is the roof panel. So now I am puzzled as to why Tesla is doing both. Wouldn't this compete with the roof tiles (for people replacing a roof or building a new home) ?

Because some people, like me, aren't interested in the solar roof. I want a conventional roof with conventional solar panels on it.

Why? The cost of conventional panels is lower, conventional panels can be expanded easily if I want to increase output in the future, and conventional panels don't lock me out of a future home renovation that involves altering the existing roof line.

I think there is enough rooftop solar demand that Tesla won't be competing with themselves, as they'll sell every solar product they can build for the foreseeable future.