Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Solar Panel now $2.85/W instead of $3.49/W

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe you have to use the same installer to install both Solar and Powerwall in the same year in order to get the SGIP rebate (someone can correct me on this).

I don't believe this is correct. The Powerwall is eligible for SGIP even without solar. For the federal ITC, you must have solar in order for the Powerwall to be eligible, but as long as it's installed after the solar I think it should be ok. I got my Powerwall a year later than my solar system and got both SGIP and the ITC. The Powerwall was installed by Tesla and the solar system by a local independent installer.

Posting in multiple threads to hopefully get an answer - We are close to getting solar, but my wife wants to know what it does to your homeowners insurance. Thanks!
you have to ask your specific insurance company in your state.
We did a new roof first courtesy of hurricane Irma so we are pretty sure it's in good shape
In Florida there is a cutoff of 10 kilowatts (actually 11,765 because insurance derates 0.85) so I got an 11,655 system (37, 315 panels)
I recall my insurance would have gone up 4x or so if I had a larger system with a lot more permits, inspections , PITA's
I have made (in Winter 12/10 - 5/2) a bit over 6,200kWh and am on track for ~16,000 - 17,000+ in 2019
here is a list of Federal and Texas incentives (Austin)
DSIRE

Anyone ordered solar with powerwall since the new pricing has been announced? I ordered yesterday in California and here is my order details. I would appreciate if others can share their order details.

One thing to note is that powerwall installation cost is extra. Thank you!

View attachment 403446

You are still paying $2.85/W for installed solar, before ITC. That is the “new” pricing but not the promised “newest” pricing of $1.99 or lower (I realize there is some unresolved confusion on whether news articles are quoting prices after ITC but they claim not). The pricing for the Powerwall is correct ($6700 for Powerwall plus $1100 for gateway), and installation plus upgrades would need to be included in final quote after survey visit.

You are still paying $2.85/W for installed solar, before ITC. (I realize there is some unresolved confusion on whether news articles are quoting prices after ITC but they claim not)

I believe the original source has now corrected the statement to say "up to 16%" price reduction instead of the original "38%": Tesla to Reduce Solar Panel Prices by Up to 16%: NYT

I think it's pretty clear that it was just a confusion with whether the incentives were included or not. What they really were reporting on was the recent price change that's been reflected online since last week (i.e. the $2.85 price that is regionally as low as $2.40, presumably).

I believe the original source has now corrected the statement to say "up to 16%" price reduction instead of the original "38%": Tesla to Reduce Solar Panel Prices by Up to 16%: NYT

I think it's pretty clear that it was just a confusion with whether the incentives were included or not. What they really were reporting on was the recent price change that's been reflected online since last week (i.e. the $2.85 price that is regionally as low as $2.40, presumably).

Agreed, mostly poor journalism. The NYT also stated there would be a Tesla Press release on Tuesday and there has been nothing related to solar - https://ir.tesla.com/press-releases

Thank you! Your link was to a Reuters release posted on NYT about the original NYT article. I had been following the original article which had a first correction because they misquoted the average national price (before ITC) as $2.85/W instead of $2.97/W. Ironically that ended up increasing their quoted savings from 38% to 41% and they changed the headline to that! Now thanks to your link I see they have a followup correction about screwing up their calculation once again, this time wrt ITC. So the headline has changed once again but down to 16%... In the meantime all the bots with mirror articles are just quoting the largest number of 41%. Crazy.

So if anyone still cares the correct prices before ITC should range from $2.50/W to $2.85/W (and “reductions” are referenced to $2.97/W).

NYT 2nd correction: Tesla Looks to Regain Its Luster in Solar Energy by Slashing Prices
This article has been revised to reflect the following correction: An earlier version of this article, by failing to factor in a federal tax incentive’s impact on both, made an incorrect comparison between the price of Tesla’s residential solar panels after a planned reduction and the average national price for such panels. The price of the Tesla panels, after accounting for the incentive, will be $1.75 to $1.99 per watt. The average national price, after accounting for the incentive, is $2.08 per watt. The article also misstated the difference in price between the lower-cost Tesla panels and the national average. It will be up to 16 percent, not up to 41 percent.

Last edited:
I don't believe this is correct. The Powerwall is eligible for SGIP even without solar. For the federal ITC, you must have solar in order for the Powerwall to be eligible, but as long as it's installed after the solar I think it should be ok. I got my Powerwall a year later than my solar system and got both SGIP and the ITC. The Powerwall was installed by Tesla and the solar system by a local independent installer.

That's pretty interesting as we have a similar SRP rebate in Arizona. Did you have any opportunity to configure your Powerwall differently for grid charge since it was installed separately? I would conceptually lose the ITC but for my purposes, grid charge would be more important to shift time of use off peak.

Now, the rate is $1.49 per watt.. Wow, just wow. (Please keep this thread alive. Will be nice to see how much the costs are falling)
Just to set the right point for comparison, the numbers quoted in the title are exclusive of the ITC. So $1.49/W after ITC would be $2.01/W before. It is still a big drop, and also puts Tesla well below its competitors, but it means the pre-credit drop is about 30% since 4/2019, not 48%. (Including the ITC, the difference is a bit smaller since the ITC was at 30% at the time and is now 26%... and likely will be 22% for most new orders at this point.)

Just to set the right point for comparison, the numbers quoted in the title are exclusive of the ITC. So $1.49/W after ITC would be $2.01/W before. It is still a big drop, and also puts Tesla well below its competitors, but it means the pre-credit drop is about 30% since 4/2019, not 48%. (Including the ITC, the difference is a bit smaller since the ITC was at 30% at the time and is now 26%... and likely will be 22% for most new orders at this point.)

It's what finally got me to bite. Competitor prices were too high for me to consider solar and Tesla was typically much higher than the competitors. After the most recent drop they were cheaper than everyone else by a mile. I ended up with 3 PWs as well since I placed my order before the they nuked the $2500 bundling discount.

It's what finally got me to bite. Competitor prices were too high for me to consider solar and Tesla was typically much higher than the competitors. After the most recent drop they were cheaper than everyone else by a mile. I ended up with 3 PWs as well since I placed my order before the they nuked the $2500 bundling discount.
By way of comparison, the average, according to the SEIA (Solar Industry Research Data | SEIA - scroll down to "Residential Solar PV Pricing" graph) was $2.84/W in Q2 (before credits.) That means Tesla is about 29% below average (and since it is presumably included in the average, it is even further below its competitors.) So it is no surprise that you, like a lot of others, are seeing such big differences.

Tesla does achieve this in part by being selective in the installs it does and restrictive in some of its policies, so it does suck for those who don't fit into the Tesla model, but for those who do (and don't run into issues with the install process,) it seems like their pricing is almost unbeatable.