Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Solar Panels on a Red Tile Roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bob_p

Apr 5, 2012
Has anyone had Tesla panels installed on a (non-flat) red tile roof?

On a black flat roof, the tiles somewhat blend into the roof.

But for a curved tile roof, the panels will be more visible - with larger gaps underneath the tiles.

Pictures of the installation would be helpful...

I have one of those Spanish tile roofs in red and I had the tesla solar panels installed. I went with the white/black ones and because of the Spanish roof tiles I had them add their rodent abatement net to the edges so that I don’t get animals living underneath the panels.

It looks good to me.

My neighborhood has probably 40% tile roofs. Most people (including us) just had the tiles removed where the panels were placed and replaced with regular shingles. Then put tiles back around the perimeter of the panels.

My neighborhood has probably 40% tile roofs. Most people (including us) just had the tiles removed where the panels were placed and replaced with regular shingles. Then put tiles back around the perimeter of the panels.
Our deed restrictions require a tile roof, so they may not approve removing the tiles.

Rodents living under the tiles is a problem I hadn't considered, and something we probably wouldn't notice on a 2nd story roof.

Anyone have pictures to post?

I have Solar City panels on my red clay barrel tile roof. They were installed over three years ago. Absolutely no leaks in the roof and no rodents living under them. They are invisible where Tesla installed them. They generate all my electrical needs including car charging each night. I no longer have an electric bill other than a $10 per month "service and administration fee" from my utility, Southern California Edison. 1000 per cent satisfied.

Probably not exactly what you're looking for. ^_^ SunPower panels too.

I went for maximum gap for cooling and production efficiency reasons.

DJI.JPG