Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Solar +Powerwall Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

LN1_Casey

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus
Mar 6, 2019
Oahu, Hawaii
So, just a few moments ago, I put in an order to get a small solar system installed. I also marked "interested in a powerwall" as part of my account process.

This was done under the recently revamped system. I quite literally tried to place an order for a small system and powerwall last Wednesday, but was unable to (it had said my location was out of service area). This thread is to document this process.

So! Bare facts; my home is located in Ridgecrest, CA, an area with a LOT of sun generation considering it's right next to Death Valley. The home I own is currently a rental, since I'm in the military and move around a lot. I wanted the system installed because, in order, 1) it would help the over all value of my home 2) it would help the enviorment and 3) it would help Tesla, specifically.

I did notice that, while Tesla asked for my credit card for the $100 deposit (up from the $99 deposit from the Wednesday model), there was not an option to gain a loan through Tesla to get this system as before. I'm mildly disappointed, since I'll have to go through another agency to get this process done now, but I suppose it makes sense on the financial scale--not as much upfront cost if they're not the ones backing the loan.

I am in the odd situation as to not have an American phone number for Tesla to reach out for me, so likely 100% of my communications will have to be online--something people who look for service on their Tesla vehicles would want the opposite! I am actually a little concerned over this, since companies traditionally are wary of non-phone calls.

Lets see how this goes!

I am in the odd situation as to not have an American phone number for Tesla to reach out for me, so likely 100% of my communications will have to be online--something people who look for service on their Tesla vehicles would want the opposite! I am actually a little concerned over this, since companies traditionally are wary of non-phone calls.
If you sign up for Google Voice or one of the other sites/apps that offers virtual phone numbers, you should be able to get a US number that works abroad. I travel frequently to foreign countries and can easily make or receive calls on my virtual "US" number as long as I have an internet connection.

Hopefully you'll be able to get the ball rolling and get solar+Powerwalls installed. We love ours and are already planning on adding more solar once our utility company allows us to increase the size of our solar system.

Reactions: LN1_Casey
If you sign up for Google Voice or one of the other sites/apps that offers virtual phone numbers, you should be able to get a US number that works abroad. I travel frequently to foreign countries and can easily make or receive calls on my virtual "US" number as long as I have an internet connection.

Hopefully you'll be able to get the ball rolling and get solar+Powerwalls installed. We love ours and are already planning on adding more solar once our utility company allows us to increase the size of our solar system.

I've heard of such services, I know that Skype does so--but it also costs.

Not really worth it for the one/two times I have to call the states for something, or the states have to call me. It would also limit to when I'm at home, since I'm at work without internet.

Your utility company limits the size of your system?

I've heard of such services, I know that Skype does so--but it also costs.

Not really worth it for the one/two times I have to call the states for something, or the states have to call me. It would also limit to when I'm at home, since I'm at work without internet.

Your utility company limits the size of your system?

Typically with the free phone services, there isn't a monthly charge. I put $10 on my Google Voice number years ago and still have a $10 credit available.

Yes, where we live, there's a limit on how large a solar system we could install. We were allowed to cover 120% of your previous 12 month bill. If you buy an electric car, you can also add 3000 kWh. When we put in our system, they estimated it would cover 141% of our annual usage but since we moved from charging one Tesla at home to charging three Teslas at home, we're only covering 90% of our usage so far this year (or about 75% over the past year). That's not bad considering it covers all our household usage and charging three Teslas daily. While we don't have an electric bill for about half the year, our bill will average out to about $60 a month for the entire year due to the colder and darker months of November - February. Before we got solar and had electric cars, we were spending $200+ a month for electricity and probably a similar amount for gas.

• Informative
Reactions: LN1_Casey
As of Friday, I still have not had contact.

I did however reach out to them, and informed them of my situation (overseas, rental, email). They said they updated my account.

I reached back to the property managers, and they said the current renters will not be renewing their lease come end of September due to job relocation. Hopefully Tesla reaches back to me to install the panels during this wonderful window of opprotunity of no current renters.

As of Friday, I still have not had contact.

As of today, a full month from initial contact, I've not yet recieved any communication from Tesla besides my reach as mentioned in the above post. I'll be reaching back to them with "WTF Bro" since I would best like to get the Solar in before the new renters move in, but it currently doesn't look like that will happen, since they move in on the 23rd.

Tesla just finished with my system installation. It's still not commissioned... but here are my two cents based on my experience.

I'm in Arizona, not CA, but based on my experience I can't imagine how I'd would have ever made it to the "installation" phase with out solid phone communication on my end, but also between me, Tesla and all the other parties that have to be involved to get solar and batteries installed (i.e.. City inspectors, Utility inspectors, Battery Installers, Solar installers, other electricians Tesla contracts with, stucco repair guy, etc).

While Tesla was always responsive when I called, at least in my case, I felt like I did a lot of "greasing", "coordinating", and "confirming" between all these various parties to keep things from stalling out, even though in theory Tesla owned the "overall" coordination. I wanted the system bad enough, it was worth doing, and I'm a project manager for a living - so I do this stuff even when I'm not supposed to - but I wanted it installed and commissioned before the end of the year before the Fed tax credit goes down, and while my Utility is still offering a battery incentive.

In reality, every step required some day-to-day coordination, lots of phone calls to actually get off the ground and then to keep moving without these parties missing each other, or not quite being in sync which ground things to a complete halt at many stages. Installations in my area really only recently ramped back up after being on hold for a couple years because of changes that our Utility made to their rate plans, so maybe it's just growing pains for our areas - but in my case several calls each week, and on some days several calls each day helping to coordinate between these different groups were required to keep things rolling, and not just grinding to a halt.

Situations like various contractors waiting to hear from each other, but neither calling each other, finance emails that didn't go through to me, so I hadn't done the next step, but didn't know until I called someone after waiting and "hearing" nothing, etc. Situations where I had to grant access to the garage that was otherwise locked. Situations where the city inspector showed up, but wouldn't do the inspection without the Tesla installation technician present to answer his questions, so he wanted to leave, but I had to call Tesla on the spot and coordinate getting a Tesla technician on site before the city inspector left, resulting in potentially days or weeks delay until the next appointment could be arranged (with no guarantee, in my opinion, that all the right parties would show up at the right time the next time). And so on.

I could have never kept it moving by not being on site first of all, but in particular without a way to reliably be called by them, or to call them back, on a regular basis.

Again, could just be because solar and battery installations are new in my area.

Update: Still no communication for install.

I did get a response about the service; apparently, Tesla at one point stopped servicing my area, and currently does not do so. It makes sense, because Ridgecrest, California is very remote and doesn't have that many personnel.

Ah well, here to waiting.

I'm over here like,

15230721_10154134150646547_7289987401962118138_n.jpg

Welp, a year later, and no contact from Tesla at all.

I've reached out to them, and their website now displays, "We currently do not service your area," when I put in my address.

It's really disappointing, since Tesla is the cheapest installer in America. However, I needed to get the tax credits this year as I'm selling my stock to buy my Tesla in October, so I went with another company. $2.55/kWh vice Tesla's $1.49/kWh, and that was the cheapest. They also had the Powerwall 2, but listed the powerwall price at $14k instead of the listed $11.5k on Tesla's website.

So, I removed the powerwall option, and will possibly add it on later. Especially if Tesla ever reaches out to me!