Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to license Autopilot / FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Negotiating with a major OEM
It will take 3+ years for them to incorporate into cars. "Wouldn't be surprised if we sign two OEMs this yr"
Yeah there's absolutely no truth to that. Elon cannot help himself if he can say something to PR/market something that doesn't exist.
He's done it for over a decade in all companies. That's how he raises money.

Yeah there's absolutely no truth to that. Elon cannot help himself if he can say something PR/market something that doesn't exist.
He's done it for over a decade in all companies. That's how he raises money

I've rarely seen Elon just outright make up an event that didn't happen.

I don't mean insanely over optimistic forward looks like "we will do some future thing by X"- he does THAT constantly.

But he does exaggerate the significance of real things... like "phone conversation with saudis for funding" became "funding secured" in a tweet.

So I've no doubt he's had at least a CONVERSATION about licensing FSD with at least one major OEM (Farley at Ford most likely-- though it could've been Deiss at VW when he was still there).... and that translated as "negotiations" last night- even if it was just a single casual mention of it with the person.

It will take 3+ years for them to incorporate into cars. "Wouldn't be surprised if we sign two OEMs this yr"

The only way that works is if FSD was ready to go now - it's a can or worms now. The design needs to be complete, pass functional tests, and then the 3+ year clock counts down. Elon and team scoffed at that yesterday. There are rare exceptions but I doubt an OEM would be willing to trust the infamously forked tongue Elon. Maybe an up-and-coming, podunk, OEM will play the game.

The only way that works is if FSD was ready to go now - it's a can or worms now. The design needs to be complete, pass functional tests, and then the 3+ year clock counts down. Elon and team scoffed at that yesterday. There are rare exceptions but I doubt an OEM would be willing to trust the infamously forked tongue Elon. Maybe an up-and-coming, podunk, OEM will play the game.
Having worked with product mgmt development with OEM for many years I will say that, just because the technology is baked (and it’s not), doesn’t mean it can quickly be incorporated into the product development roadmap for another OEM in short order.. it’s probably at LEAST 1.5 years out from an even possible release, let alone a probable one.. just putting eight+ new cameras everywhere (and that re-engineering) and incorporating those systems, requirements, dependencies into the overall BUS and MCU/CPU/GPU into the product development/engineering roadmap and process, and building them into the MANUFACTURING process, with QA, testing, validation, etc… overall that is easily 2+ years out from being in any marketable product.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanCar