Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Try passing a driving test driving with one hand at 6 o'clock.
Yeah. You know, I almost failed my drivers test because I couldn't park in the designated spot without hitting a cone. When I pointed out that the car I was driving was larger than the space the tester shrugged and said "do it". So I plowed over the cones. Still did well enough overall to pass, but it was close.

Point being, driver testing has next to nothing to do with actual driving. Arbitrary standards and the whole "10-and-2" or "3-and-9" or whatever else is not that meaningful. What matters far more is alertness and ability to make split second decisions.

I disagree. While a recession combined with other negative factors could cut the stock price in half, or maybe a bit more depending upon how many negatives lined up, it's not going to zero, not even with all of those things plus the untimely death of their CEO.

The article states this:

"If the company were to face one or more of these issues independently or alongside a recession, it’s possible that financing could dry up for Tesla at the time when it has to pay its debts."

What the article doesn't even consider are Tesla's products. How they have a multi-year lead over anything else, how superior their EV's are and the value of the Tesla brand. It's pure FUD to write such an article without considering what it is that makes them successful and how difficult and time-consuming it would be to replicate that. There is no way their financing will dry up, recession or not.

The world is just now realizing we must wean themselves from fossil fuels for their very long-term survival and there is no better alternative waiting in the wings. This article is not helpful, it is purposeful FUD.

It's total B.S. Elon could borrow against his Space X equity and pay off Tesla's debt tomorrow. Larry Oracle could find that money down the back of his sofa. Tesla has no threat of debt default whatsoever.

It read's like a 5 year old's responses right after their "but why?" phase. You know when they start to comprehend things, but cannot appreciate the complexity yet.

That's when they say things like "I know what, daddy! If sensor 1 and 2 can be tricked by the driver, they should put 3 more sensors in it". And that's when you smile, put your hand on their little head and say "well that's a great ide honey, you'll be BIG engineer when you grow up and we will all be so proud of you!".

This guy is ranting on about people using cheat devices and falling asleep at the wheel. Now I don't know about the rest of you folks, but I'm pretty sure that someone asleep in a Tesla on EAP is a lot less of a risk than someone asleep in another car without.

So whereas I also think better safeguards would of course be good, the whole argument against it is non-sensical.

Last edited:
I feel pretty good about this. I was worried.
1) Rename Autopilot - how about Otto Pilot?
NOT-AN-AUTOPILOT would work.

Edit: It would be nice if Lycanthrope would wait until after I posted something before posting the same thing. Damn uncooperative Belgians.

Last edited:
Count me in on the "Not Autopilot" name.

OrangeSpicyEasternnewt-size_restricted.gif

This was Tweeted out about 15 minutes ago. Dana Hull and some of our favorite FUDsters are pushing it out:

Senator Markey Announces Recommended Safety Fixes for Tesla Autopilot
I think we have many over reactions here.

Senator Markey not only acknowledged the achievements by Tesla in the front of moving us to renewable energy. He also pointed out the autopilot system's contribution to overall safety.

Obviously he can't act like a Tesla bull here and has to do something to satisfy the critics.

I think we have many over reactions here.

Senator Markey not only acknowledged the achievements by Tesla in the front of moving us to renewable energy. He also pointed out the autopilot system's contribution to overall safety.

Obviously he can't act like a Tesla bull here and has to do something to satisfy the critics.

“do something” does not make for good policy. Changing the name just to change the name and adding yet another sensor just to add another sensor does nothing to improve safety, just adds cost and spreads confusion.

It’s not about brownie points for generally supporting Tesla, but rather either putting forward constructive ideas or letting it go. The ideas here are bad, and it’s not overreacting to call them such.

I'd also argue that legacy automakers really just market, service, and assemble cars now anyway. Parts are outsourced for the most part. Most do engines in house but they often buy third parties or share drivetrains. The new supra and Zs for example.

They primarily do that on niche vehicles, like the Supra and Zs sports cars. There is not the economies of scale to justify spending so much on R & D and tooling for niche sports cars. GM spends on Corvette because it generally stays unchanged for 10-15 years save for cosmetic upgrades.

There are alliances for transmissions and other things but generally that is two companies or groups sharing. Not drivetrains becoming commodities like LG Cells for BEVs.

• Informative
Reactions: Lessmog
Tesla could eventually reach a trillion-dollar valuation, think tank says

Of those 10 million, how many will buy solar + battery for their homes?

How many new networks of distributed energy homes will be created? How much reoccurring revenue share will Tesla receive in grid services from those networks? P2P transactions? Receiving credits for home stored energy for supercharger access, vehicle purchases, performance upgrades, FSD upgrades, Tesla robotaxi services, any and all Tesla products and services?? How about Tesla’s own blockchain as the store of this value and exchange on this multimillion person connected networked market places of energy? An energy backed currency, who would have thought?

Revenue from sales solar+battery sales but a fraction of the energy services revenue on a global scale.

People are sleeping on Elon’s prediction of massive scale of Tesla Energy as global utility/energy company.

It is of my opinion this is the biggest business battleground of the future that is already being fought now behind the scenes.

Established energy players love electric cars, but hate rooftop solar+batteries that they can’t rate base.

The emerging function of human prosperity and happiness will include individual control over energy production and consumption through rooftop solar+energy storage, and electric transport, not the scaling of centralized legacy utility.

Tesla is best developed, organized and positioned to achieve this function’s outcomes. That means massive growth ahead for the foreseeable future as the entire transport and energy industries transition over. Tesla is a generational play, a big, big long term implication investment. It also is a idea catalyst for other successful investments in other companies that will play in this future.

Last edited: