Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One possible reason is an imminent S/X interior refresh. To avoid pissing off customers who placed their order just before the refresh, they empty the pipeline with lower prices for the old interior and/or have an interim period of lower pricing. If this is the case, [certain] people [like Fred] who recently ordered an S/X will complain about the higher price they paid but whatcha gonna do, you can't keep everyone happy.

I was about to order an M3P but now I have to reconsider getting an S instead.
This

What would be even cooler is if that was a heads up display. You could then determine what AP is seeing and what it isn't seeing and act accordingly. (no box or line, take manual action).
I agree that it would be a good idea to have some sort of recognition of what the car sees, but I don't think it would be a good idea to have all the information that was in the videos in a HUD. Way too distracting. Maybe a simple stop line that appears in the current display. Stop lights and stop signs that appear like cars and trucks do now. I guess we'll see soon enough! This is happening folks!

Dan

Reactions: wipster and JRP3
OT, but: Starship Hopper just had its internal access ports sealed up:

SpaceX BFS - Phase 1 Big Falcon Hopper (BFH) - Photos and Updates

.... meaning that AFAIK all of the internal work is done. The replacement fairing is still being built, and the engines haven't been mounted to the hopper, but they seem to be closing in on completion. :) Maybe a maiden flight in <1 month.

Last edited:
So what's the technological breakthrough between the P100D from December 2018 and a Long Range Performance Ludicrous from March 2019 that warrants such a price cut?

Musk explicitly stated that many of their cost saving measures affect both 3 and S/X (production efficiencies / layoffs, store closures, etc)

And why is the price cut so wildly different in every country?

I already discussed this. A lot of countries have luxury taxes, caps on incentives, things like that. The effect of a price cut on a vehicle can have highly nonlinear effects on the price that a buyer pays. It depends on the market.

I would stop production for 2 weeks ("sorry had, to be done to retool the line to get it ready for SR/SR+ and the new interior") and send the workers home / put supplier contract on hold. That gives me a moment to earn the money in Europe from all the cars in transit. I would of course stop all projects that cost cash, too.

Stopping production kills the growth story explicitly. The stock price can't afford that. Projects that cost cash are effectively stopped. There is, for example, no progress on European production capability. Gigafactory 2 is by all means lagging in output. Service improvements have been promised for two quarters already, yet spare parts inventory decreased. Depreciation and amortization is higher than projected capital expenditures...

Do I think they have excess cash? Nope. But IMHO most of the stuff they do makes more sense to me from a profit perspective. They very much do behave like a company trying to break even (which is pretty much the guidance right now).

How does it makes sense that they are at a point that profit is a concern? Q3 and Q4 proved that their steady state model is making ample profit. If Q1 is just a temporary blip due to filling the pipeline, then don't care about profit in Q1 and just reap billions in Q2. To me, the drastic, permanent, change between Q3/Q4 last year and today means something fundamentally changed making the business model of Q3/Q4 not effective anymore.

So what's the technological breakthrough between the P100D from December 2018 and a Long Range Performance Ludicrous from March 2019 that warrants such a price cut? And why is the price cut so wildly different in every country?

Tesla wants to sell more performance models to bring up the ASP and margins.

Also, those for whom S was a stretch, and size is not a must, pick Model 3 so buyer who remain are more affluent and can be pgraded to higher margin car if given a good incentive.

Musk explicitly stated that many of their cost saving measures affect both 3 and S/X (production efficiencies / layoffs, store closures, etc)

I already discussed this. A lot of countries have luxury taxes, caps on incentives, things like that. The effect of a price cut on a vehicle can have highly nonlinear effects on the price that a buyer pays. It depends on the market.

Member schonelucht sees the glass as half empty. Many of us see the glass as half full. There is no difference in the amount of water in the glass. It's all about ones perspective and analysis of the situation. If your perspective is that the glass is half empty, every analysis of the situation flows from that. That's how some people view companies, stock prices, and life in general. No amount of TMC back and forth exchanges is going to change an individuals inherent nature. Could be rooted in something as simple as ones upbringing, if for example ones parent's always focused on the negative?

I thought I had schonelucht on ignore, that must have gotten turned off somehow.

RT

This is TSLA's 'netflix' moment... Some time ago netflix made what appeared to be a weird and customer crushing decision, charge double for dvd mail in and streaming. Well it appears that streaming won, those who complained about not getting their dvd mail in service are having problems locating the dvd player, let alone finding the tv input button to switch to the dvd, get up from the sofa put the dvd in...

The closing gallery stores is confusing for us, but it is only a high end 'real' website, and i'm guessing data has shown that sales from such gallery stores do not match the costs of these stores. Really, now a days, if you know what you want, why even go to the mall or the store anyways. Amazon has shown us that we can get what we want even if we want it tomorrow without leaving the house...

So these current moves feel weird in the context of the past 20-30 years of shopping, but this transformation of online sales is on the pathway for the next decade....

Dilution. Tesla didn't issue any additional common stock. Hull/Bloomberg said that they planned to do so, without presenting any evidence of their claim, and against the guidance of the Company.
Is your belief the notice holders received on November 30 stated that settlement of conversions during the Early Conversion period would be 100% cash?
Or that notice of the settlement method was not provided?

Last edited:
Reactions: generalenthu
Member schonelucht sees the glass as half empty. Many of us see the glass as half full. There is no difference in the amount of water in the glass. It's all about ones perspective and analysis of the situation. If your perspective is that the glass is half empty, every analysis of the situation flows from that. That's how some people view companies, stock prices, and life in general. No amount of TMC back and forth exchanges is going to change an individuals inherent nature. Could be rooted in something as simple as ones upbringing, if for example ones parent's always focused on the negative?

Engineers see the glass as mis-sized.

Thank you very much for providing that. Now I feel that Musk's real mistake was correcting himself.

If his lawyer told him to make the correction, and he didn't, he would have automatically have been in violation of his agreement.

His lawyers were obligated to to - regardless of any previous guidance - make sure that all statements are accurate with respect to present knowledge and projections.

Tesla had two different sets of guidance out there, the optimistic one from the call and the conservative one in the ER. Nobody corrected them at the time. Nobody reacted aftermarket after Elon repeated the ER call numbers. Post-tweet aftermarket volume was lower than pre-tweet, and post-tweet average prices were nearly identical to pre-tweet.

While I'm sure the judge is going to have some pointed questions for Elon as to the sequence of events that led to the correction (incl. why Musk's lawyers response to the SEC didn't discuss the conference call figures), and want to see Tesla internal documents that led to any projection figures given out, I'm sure she'll also have some pointed questions to the SEC as to why they didn't bother to mention the conference call figures in their filing. If they didn't know about them, then they sound incompetent and negligent at their jobs. If they did know about them but didn't mention them, then it sounds like they were trying to hide facts inconvenient to their case. Either way, it's a bad look for them.

I'm not sure how the SEC will respond to the latter. The argument "Musk and his lawyers didn't warn us that there was other guidance in the conference call and that 10k/wk by the end of the year was just Model 3 production" sounds pretty weak. As for Musk's side, he can directly point to the lawyer's clear confusion between Model 3 production rates and total vehicle production rates, as well as production vs. deliveries:

Dropbox - 1-18-cv-08865-AJN - Simplify your life

upload_2019-3-3_15-37-39.png

So long was Musk wasn't doing some detailed review of his attorney's response (Musk's signature is not on the document), then that sounds IMHO like a pretty solid defense. The concept that 7k production per week at Fremont was "total vehicles by the end of the year" is not only directly contradicted by the text, but nonsense, since Tesla is already over 7k total vehicles per week.

Last edited: