Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The difference between a good driver and an average one is that a good driver sense the danger of a road cluster configuration and can avoid them and stay away.

The ex wife of my brother had about 1 or 2 accidents yearly from situations she said she was not at fault. Like a drunk driver making a Uturn at a green light she had, people not stopping on the red light, people not making their stop.

in 20 years of driving I had no accident over 200 000 miles of driving and I had about 15 situations I saved my car from near misses. A guy in North Carolina overtaking the left lane when I was there, I expected it and just moved over on the left half of the wheels off road.
3 days ago I was taking a call for work and I was about to go on my green light but saw the car in the cross section jerking his car before I started accelerating, I waited before accelerating and he ended up passing on his red light and crashed in the car in the lane besides mine.

I wonder how the AI will be trained for these unfrequent unusual situations that the driver just see that there is a clusterf&$% about to happen.

Not saying that I am a good driver and could drift in a rally and win LeMans, but I try to avoid at all cost people driving like boneheads either passing them as far as possible to be 1 mile away of them or moving completely out of the way when a Mustang is speedin at 180mph when I’m getting out of my rental car out of Miami airport. These moves might prevent some near misses that can happen 1 or twice a year when you drive over 30 000 miles yearly. I wonder how much FSD can actively place you in a position safer away from these situations. It’s a life saver against crashing your car from getting asleep behind the wheel but I am eager to see how it can be a life saver from other human drivers driving recklessly. Once all car will be FDS, the accident rate will be near 0. It’s the transition period I am interested into.

Indeed, when I drive, or even walk along the street, I'm not just assessing what’s happening, but extrapolating what may happen, and what I can do to minimise risks of different scenarios. A really easy application of my thinking is that when I’m waiting for a metro (subway) to arrive, I don’t stand on the edge of the platform, but with my back against the wall and close to the station exit.

de2f025434e92cdcf3da1e105f2bb7c6.png

Ford joined with Volvo

You hit the nail on the head. There are too few sane humans left in the USA!

What's a cabinet? :p
It is a word with many meanings.
In this case probably rankning members of a Government.
But it can also be an enclosure like a box or closet.
In particular, note the Italian "gabinetto" for a certain kind of closet, WC (not Wall Connector).

If after you go full margin, your brokerage announces less margin credit on stocks like TSLA (since stocks are obviously in a freefall), you get an instant margin call. I've never been there but it can't be a fun way to live (dependent on others for your solvency).

Life is too short to mess with using other peoples money. It's a cocky and/or desperate thing to do. It might work out but it might not. Plus, you're letting the lender skim sure profits while you're taking all the risk.

Are you against the fact of contracting a mortgage from the bank for landlords to leverage the ownership of a multiplex to pick up rents?

I understand exactly what you mean about margin call and a stock crash that’s why I will never go into margin deeper than what I am able to pay with my personal margin to cover for a margin call from my holdings real estate co. My income can cover for the whole margin or remortgaging real estate would cover for an instant margin call. So as long as you have assets to cover for the margin, like real estates covering for mortgage, it is risky business but not reckless business.

But I agree someone having 2M invested 100% in TSLA averaging $350. Going full margin when the stock drops to $250. Will have a problem to cover an instant margin call if SP drops to $150. However, every situation is different, difficult to judge without all the financial details of anyone going into margin.

Indeed, when I drive, or even walk along the street, I'm not just assessing what’s happening, but extrapolating what may happen, and what I can do to minimise risks of different scenarios. A really easy application of my thinking is that when I’m waiting for a metro (subway) to arrive, I don’t stand on the edge of the platform, but with my back against the wall and close to the station exit.

Yeah, but nowhere near as much fun!

I guess always having anticipating an alternate way out on the road while preparing to overtake another driver will save you and your car the time that driver will change lane without flashers and without looking at its blind spot.

Some people would call this hypervigilant however in some rare situations it might be life saver.

These are pretty explosive numbers. In January when the number comes out, we would be hopefully out of the woods from Corona, as well as the election drama. Exciting times ahead

Ha, you talk as if sp gives a crap. Only two things now move the sp, another stock split or S&P inclusion. Two record knockout earnings now just to see tsla bleed. We bleed 3x macro and recover 1x macro if we are lucky.

Ha, you talk as if sp gives a crap. Only two things now move the sp, another stock split or S&P inclusion. Two record knockout earnings now just to see tsla bleed. We bleed 3x macro and recover 1x macro if we are lucky.

It's still very exciting, amazing that it took a stock split to find it's valuation. In pre market today futures losing steam and Tesla looking weak you just get the feeling MMs want to take this down to the 380 support level again today and see if they can shake out a few more shares from the weak longs, seen the story play out so many times.

It should be an interesting week, hold on to your seat beats!

It's still very exciting, amazing that it took a stock split to find it's valuation. In pre market today futures losing steam and Tesla looking weak you just get the feeling MMs want to take this down to the 380 support level again today and see if they can shake out a few more shares from the weak longs, seen the story play out so many times.

It should be an interesting week, hold on to your seat beats!

If Tesla keeps bleeding regardless of good fundamental news like earnings report and only goes up due to news that have very little fundamental value to the company like stock splits or S&P then I argue the stock split didn't help Tesla find any true valuation but instead muddled the waters.

However I can't argue that this is bad for Tesla since it did change the fundamental value of Tesla's financials in the form of easier capital from the equity market in which they quickly took advantage of.

But the final measuring stick will be the number or accidents/deaths per 100 million miles and, on this metric, they will take home the gold.

In time they will continue to improve capabilities to the point where there is hardly ever an accident of any consequence. It will be considered a freak event and make national news (err...wait, if it's a Tesla on Autopilot, it already does :confused:).

‘The final measuring stick SHOULD be fewer accidents. Let’s hope regulators and legal systems have enough common sense for this to be the case.

An electrek article about Tesla's Powerhub (I've not heard about it before, but maybe others here have, thought I'd share it anyway).

Tesla Powerhub: a lesser-known Tesla energy product to control assets - Electrek

Tesla describes Powerhub (not to be confused with Autobidder):
"Powerhub is an advanced monitoring and control platform for managing distributed energy resources, renewable power plants and microgrids. Powerhub is deployed and in use across Tesla’s fleet of over one gigawatt-hour of operating commercial sites. Customers ranging from facility managers to power plant operators use Powerhub to maximize operational efficiency, uptime and asset value. Powerhub covers all common elements of Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems and offers standard customizations to meet the operational needs of small, large and virtual power plants.”
In ancient times (i.e. mid-1990's) Solar/wind systems had 'charge controllers' and 'inverters' that were both functionally and logically distinct. Charge controllers were fairly crude, while inverters had become quite sophisticated and the best produced '"pure" sine wave' current that was even then far cleaner than any public power was.

The rapid growth of industrial wind and solar power plus energy storage solutions has transformed the grid stabilization and optimization business. Tesla with Powerhub is entering a crowded field.
Siemens Ranks No. 1 Vendor for Managing Distributed Energy Resources

If there is a significant advantage in the Tesla approach it might well be connected with the cloud-resident monitoring, analysis and control process. Nearly all the competitors are mostly hardware oriented just as they were in the 1990's, because nearly all of them originated in "mainframe days'. They are advancing with incredible speed so all the majors are introducing new products rapidly. Tesla may well have large advantages here, probably linked to Autobidder and the inherent notion that traditional power utility structures are obsolete.

We have large threads on these subjects. It quickly becomes too technical for this Forum and goes vastly beyond my capabilities to discuss anyway.

I think these two products show just how Tesla will manage to become a major player in power generation and distribution. Since many wind farms are far offshore and becoming more so plus massive solar farms are quickly becoming more remote. Starlink might be the ideal way to have online connectivity with those remote facilities.

Sure, all this may well become larger than the car business. Tesla already has a number of utility licenses...

Last edited by a moderator:
Biden Aims to Restore Tax Credit for Tesla, GM

“Restore the full electric vehicle tax credit, target it to middle-income consumers, and prioritize the purchase of American-made vehicles. We assume the proposal makes the electric vehicle tax credit permanent, repeals the per manufacturer cap, and phases out the credit for taxpayers with income above $250,000.”

Link: Joseph Biden Aims To Improve US EV Tax Credit, Restore It For Tesla & GM

Biden Aims to Restore Tax Credit for Tesla, GM

“Restore the full electric vehicle tax credit, target it to middle-income consumers, and prioritize the purchase of American-made vehicles. We assume the proposal makes the electric vehicle tax credit permanent, repeals the per manufacturer cap, and phases out the credit for taxpayers with income above $250,000.”

Link: Joseph Biden Aims To Improve US EV Tax Credit, Restore It For Tesla & GM

This would be amazing for Tesla in the long term, but might hurt sales in the short term as people wait for the credit to return.