Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The yoke prevents your arms (more specifically elbows) from being broken if the airbags go off. Much safer.
Is this really a "thing," with actual, ahem, DATA and STATS, or is this just conjecture?

The TSLA investor's angle is that the yoke may have implications for future sales of Tesla's highest margin vehicles, the MS and the MX.

I'm not trying to be a pill here, but it seems like there are a remarkably large number of "yoke" MS's on the used car market, to include Tesla's own used cars. As an owner of two new "yoke" MS's, but with very limited miles on them so far, let us just say the jury is still out on Elon's answer to a question absolutely NO ONE was asking . . . .

Thanks for any safety data or experiences you might be able to provide re: broken bones from airbag deployments.

Large enterprise will be mostly unaffected, since they’ll just pay whatever market rate is for shipments (rounding error to their COGS) or will continue to vertically integrate critical parts of their supply chain. SMBs that can’t accurately forecast demand will be crushed. Not particularly relevant to Tesla.
i worry a bit about the larger risk to overall economy. plus it’s enough of a problem for tesla (and everyone else) to be mentioning it on their call. we’ve seen how vocal EM
has been. this is not my area of expertise though, hence looking for more insight here. LT i think fine. 1 (worst case 2?) years can be a battle…
again 2022 is understood already due to guidance (even though 50% growth is the guidance, which is insane - nobody even remotely comparable is growing that fast except tesla).
just looking to shoot any holes i may have in my own forward looking “guidance”

i worry a bit about the larger risk to overall economy. plus it’s enough of a problem for tesla (and everyone else) to be mentioning it on their call. we’ve seen how vocal EM
has been. this is not my area of expertise though, hence looking for more insight here. LT i think fine. 1 (worst case 2?) years can be a battle…
Tesla guided for comfortably beating 50% growth this year........Elon complained about supply chain issues all throughout 2021 and made much more of a emphasis on it on the Q1, Q2, and Q3 earnings calls than he did on the Q4 earnings call, and yet they were able to do 80% growth in 2021.

What are you worried about?

Is this was an investor forum for Ford, then yeah you should be worried because they've shown zero ability to work around supply limitations. This is just a natural unwinding of a unnatural stoppage of production....of course that's going to take time to unwind.

I expect that eventually the yoke wheel will be fly by wire.

This will allow progressive steering, where the software is designed to detect variables like speed and adapt the yoke to the conditions.

End result being that there will be no multiple turns of the yoke required, a quarter turn either way will be all the movement used. When driving at speed it will respond with smaller movements of the front wheels for finer control, and at slow speeds will allow sharper turns for parking and such.

And yes, the humans will easily adapt to this.
FYI: BMW has this feature some years ago, perhaps even a decade ago.

It was a hot item in BMW marketing . . . that quietly disappeared after a few years.

The reviews from professionals were not great, and while it looked like a good idea on paper, in the real world it wasn't a good driving experience. On the contrary, IIRC, the greatest issue was any changes in the car's speed while in a curve. Doing so would end up changing the steering angle, this while the steering wheel remained fixed in the driver's hands. It did not instill confidence or pleasure and BMW dropped the option a few years later; it did not return.

Perhaps someone on this thread may have owned a BMW with this feature?

Is this really a "thing," with actual, ahem, DATA and STATS, or is this just conjecture?

The TSLA investor's angle is that the yoke may have implications for future sales of Tesla's highest margin vehicles, the MS and the MX.

I'm not trying to be a pill here, but it seems like there are a remarkably large number of "yoke" MS's on the used car market, to include Tesla's own used cars. As an owner of two new "yoke" MS's, but with very limited miles on them so far, let us just say the jury is still out on Elon's answer to a question absolutely NO ONE was asking . . . .

Thanks for any safety data or experiences you might be able to provide re: broken bones from airbag deployments.

A friend of mine witnessed this firsthand when he helped a young woman who had just been in a car accident. She had a compound fracture of her forearm caused by the airbag. She was the driver.

This is something Sandy Munro discussed during their tear down of the Plaid Model S, which you can watch on YouTube.

Tesla guided for comfortably beating 50% growth this year........Elon complained about supply chain issues all throughout 2021 and made much more of a emphasis on it on the Q1, Q2, and Q3 earnings calls than he did on the Q4 earnings call, and yet they were able to do 80% growth in 2021.

What are you worried about?

Is this was an investor forum for Ford, then yeah you should be worried because they've shown zero ability to work around supply limitations. This is just a natural unwinding of a unnatural stoppage of production....of course that's going to take time to unwind.

yeah i saw that ford just announced some bad news today
i just hope we’re fully understanding, and not underestimating, the logistics issues for not just tesla but all of US econ. and since i’m no expert, pinging the forum to see whos got the goods man. that’s all

I always struggle with cancelling my subscription to a news outlet with a negative story on something near and dear to me. None of these outlets share all of my values, but unless I have nothing in common with them, I see a value in funding journalists.
They get way more funding from their puppet masters than your single sub will ever provide. That's why the media has such an obvious agenda.

i just hope we’re fully understanding, and not underestimating, the logistics issues for not just tesla but all of US econ. and since i’m no expert, pinging the forum to see whos got the goods man. that’s all
So I took the plunge and actually listened to the podcast..............it's essentially saying what some of us having been saying here for a while. There's going to be winners and losers. If you're a company that is agile, has control of your supply chain and/or heavy vertical integration, you're going to be just fine and thrive.

If you're the opposite where you're very dependent on individual suppliers and/or a small company that doesn't have purchasing power, you're gonna be kinda screwed for the next year or two and you need to carefully watch how much you're ordering because the consumer might get tired of waiting for your product and move on. These things are not necessarily new dynamics. They're just being emphasized more because of the unnatural nature of everyone placing order at the same time after a artificially induced period of no production.

My take? Considering I have strong views that the economy is progressively more dependent on technology and services, I'm not worried about this at all. If anything, it will force more adoption of technology in businesses and adoption of software/services amongst consumers. And when I say more adoption of technology in businesses, I'm not just talking software. There so many parts of manufacturing and other sectors that are practically antiqued in this day and age. Tesla is a prime example of adoption of technology in manufacturing and how it increases output and efficiency. Yet many sectors/industries haven't changed because they haven't been forced to. Sounds like they're about to be forced to.

Last edited:
Let's not forget Elon have been working on supply chain issues prior to supply chain issues. He wants everything to be locally sourced and not only that, within just a few hundred miles of the manufacturing plant. 91% of the cars build in China doesn't need to deal with shut down ports or traffic jam ports because parts are brought in by train or trucks.

This is how Tesla guided for for 50%+ despite supply chain issues.

Now Ford did guide for an upbeat 2022 also so I wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited:
FYI: BMW has this feature some years ago, perhaps even a decade ago.

It was a hot item in BMW marketing . . . that quietly disappeared after a few years.

The reviews from professionals were not great, and while it looked like a good idea on paper, in the real world it wasn't a good driving experience. On the contrary, IIRC, the greatest issue was any changes in the car's speed while in a curve. Doing so would end up changing the steering angle, this while the steering wheel remained fixed in the driver's hands. It did not instill confidence or pleasure and BMW dropped the option a few years later; it did not return.

Perhaps someone on this thread may have owned a BMW with this feature?

And we all know that BMW is better than Tesla at software. :rolleyes: ;)

/S

Last edited:

for legacy auto, I'm not sure how much of their problems are actual supply chain issues vs using supply chain as an excuse for other problems such as lack of demand or other engineering issues setting them back

A thought occurred to me when I saw posts toward the end of last week regarding Tesla moving into HVAC as a line of business, and integrating that with energy storage, and potentially other capabilities. One area that I think is underappreciated wrt Tesla's capabilities is security. Whenever I hear the term, "smart appliance," or anything alluding to that with the ability to link devices to your thermostat and such, I get uncomfortable. There are way too many examples of internet connected devices that have been misappropriated for other uses. As examples for others that may be unaware, there was the infamous Denial of Service (DDoS) attack that occurred in 2016, where bots were used to take over webcams and launch a Denial of Service attack. And there was another flaw found in similar devices in 2019 (Protocol found in webcams and DVRs is fueling a new round of big DDoSes) that could do the same thing. Then there have been examples of issues found with Amazon Alexa (Amazon Alexa's 'skills' can 'pose significant privacy, security risk,' study warns) both as cited in the link, and in other reports.

Tesla appears to take security seriously. I know they participate in hacker events and fix issues when identified. As an investor - and owner, I have decided I can trust them. As an aside before I bought my first MS, I was working on a project with some security engineers and I asked them to take a look at what we could find in the literature about the security. They gave it a thumbs up, but also suggested that I create a unique account and never give out my credentials - which is advice I have followed. As a consumer, I have no plans to buy any smart appliance unless I can get the specs on its security stack and have it vetted by people I trust. As an investor, I want to make sure that companies I'm heavily invested in are thinking this through. I think Tesla is.

I'll be interested to see what others think.

FWIW... It seems to me there is a better chance of Tesla building a new (superior/efficient) container ship port for the West coast that there is of them building a Fab.

A thought occurred to me when I saw posts toward the end of last week regarding Tesla moving into HVAC as a line of business, and integrating that with energy storage, and potentially other capabilities. One area that I think is underappreciated wrt Tesla's capabilities is security. Whenever I hear the term, "smart appliance," or anything alluding to that with the ability to link devices to your thermostat and such, I get uncomfortable. There are way too many examples of internet connected devices that have been misappropriated for other uses. As examples for others that may be unaware, there was the infamous Denial of Service (DDoS) attack that occurred in 2016, where bots were used to take over webcams and launch a Denial of Service attack. And there was another flaw found in similar devices in 2019 (Protocol found in webcams and DVRs is fueling a new round of big DDoSes) that could do the same thing. Then there have been examples of issues found with Amazon Alexa (Amazon Alexa's 'skills' can 'pose significant privacy, security risk,' study warns) both as cited in the link, and in other reports.

Tesla appears to take security seriously. I know they participate in hacker events and fix issues when identified. As an investor - and owner, I have decided I can trust them. As an aside before I bought my first MS, I was working on a project with some security engineers and I asked them to take a look at what we could find in the literature about the security. They gave it a thumbs up, but also suggested that I create a unique account and never give out my credentials - which is advice I have followed. As a consumer, I have no plans to buy any smart appliance unless I can get the specs on its security stack and have it vetted by people I trust. As an investor, I want to make sure that companies I'm heavily invested in are thinking this through. I think Tesla is.

I'll be interested to see what others think.

I don't think that having the water heater, fridge, HVAC, etc. sharing their refrigerant lines with an Octovalve would necessarily require them to be connected to the interwebz.

As addressed in the all-in podcast this will more drastically affect smaller companies that can't correctly address shipping and supply issues. Larger companies will better weather this issue.

Also highlights teslas recent deal with glovis Tesla secures shipping deal with glovis- insideevs.com link

i suspect as shipping issues affect smaller companies this could end up freeing up shipping constraints later in the year for larger companies

Wouldn’t worry about this at all. Tesla is expediting parts by air. The shipping situation and clogged ports is a complex situation, for sure, but it’s not new.

If Petersen is saying something new about supply chain disruption, can you tell us what it specifically is? Not going to watch the podcast.

Things at my work seem about the same or better than they were a couple months ago, and we order a ton of stuff just to keep things going.

You can tell that smaller low tier companies like Lucid and Rivian can't even secure 1000 parts of something to save their lives, forcing themselves to not meet their production goal. Tesla had this problem when they first started and the world didn't have a supply chain issue. They were forced to vertically integrate or die.
How can you tell?

I can tell you all a whole lot about Rivian, but my previous posts got nuked (not mad about it). If there’s a more appropriate thread, I can post there. Don’t know what it is because I’m an ignorant moron.