Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, does Max Pain and Mr. Market save us this week? If not, there are a decent number of puts at 900 and 950 for this week.
I was just about to post it. This battle doesn't look over yet. And that's not even 3 days yet.

1651163984284.png

I know nothing, bugger-all, but I disagree completely with the folks claiming this $TSLA dump is from Elon selling stock, at least not for Twitter acquisition - he did have some other options to exercise still, right, but quite some still before expiry

Apply first principles:
- Twitter deal isn't closing until later in the year, why sell stock now?
- Given the long lead time, if stock was sold, it would be done gradually, over a long period, so as not to kill the price
- Absolutely no reason to sell on the open market, plenty of time to broker some dark pool type of deals

Can anyone give a compelling reason why Elon would be selling now?

I think this is a coordinated short-bear attack, which is supported by the stock price stabilising while the uptick rule was in place

That's a very dated stereotype. FYI there are more Teslas sold in SF and the bay area than any place in the country and the Prius was one of the all time highest conversion cars to Tesla. Don't kid yourself on who has the disposable income to spend now it may not be who you expect.

And you completely missed the point by trying to make it about yourself. It's not about you. Or the Bay. It's about Middle America and the 10 MILLION barrels of oil per day used mainly wastefully, and the political agenda funded by fossil fools to keep it that way.

Don't be one of the fools.

Public service announcement for the crybabies whining as if Elon had broken some kind of implied agreement to avoid behavior that promotes TSLA volatility.

Please recall his very clear statement from the most legendary earnings call in Tesla's history, Q1 2018:
"People get too focused on, like, what's happening in the space of a few weeks or a few months. This is an old maxim of investing; you should not be focused on short-term things; you should be focused on long-term things. We have no interest in satisfying the desires of day traders. I couldn't care less. Please sell our stock and don't buy it.
I think that if people are concerned about volatility, they should definitely not buy our stock. I'm not here to convince you to buy our stock. Do not buy it if volatility is scary. There you go."

There are a lot of long term holders, including myself, that are not happy with Elon's behavior. Yes ... I understand how much it's gone up and I've been very fortunate to have ridden it up the whole way, adding rather than selling the position. I also think it's totally reasonable for SHARHOLDERS to question how the directors of a company act and if those actions are helping the share price or not. So, I don't consider it "crying" ....

My post was an honest answer to the poster wondering why we are down so much after a great earnings report .... I gave my opinion and I believe it to be accurate.

BTW, those people who maintain the factory along with every other employee of Tesla deserve to have a leader that puts the company and it's mission first .. I'm of the opinion that buying a controversial media platform does not do that.

Bottom line, shareholders have every right to be concerned about the behavior of the people entrusted to run it.

I'm still a long .... but I will admit to having Elon fatigue at this point and I don't believe I'm alone on this.

Cheers to the longs.

If you think you're gonna change Elon then you're dreaming. Wake up! You have three choices:

1) Hold and accept it.
2) Hold and cry about it
3) Sell because you don't like it.

I can't for the life of me figure out why you don't take door number 3, exit, stage left. You are obviously very unhappy with the guy at the top but it's a waste of time to try to get him voted out. And you don't have to be besties with him to know you're not gonna get him to change and, obviously, crying about it changes nothing.

Personally, I don't see why he bothers you, I think he's doing a great job and feel lucky to have someone so capable looking after my investment! If he can reform toxic Twitter to work for the public good and rescue humanity from the self-destructive path we were on while he's at it, more power to him! I'm just glad he cares enough to do something about it. That's not typical billionaire behavior.

I know nothing, bugger-all, but I disagree completely with the folks claiming this $TSLA dump is from Elon selling stock, at least not for Twitter acquisition - he did have some other options to exercise still, right, but quite some still before expiry

Apply first principles:
- Given the long lead time, if stock was sold, it would be done gradually, over a long period, so as not to kill the price
- Absolutely no reason to sell on the open market, plenty of time to broker some dark pool type of deals

I think this is a coordinated short-bear attack, which is supported by the stock price stabilising while the uptick rule was in place
Thank you for this post and keeping this forum afloat.

Apply first principles:

Just tweeted someone about this. Only makes sense with the Twitter close months away is he thinks this is the best time to get the best price.
Why?
  • Upcoming bad quarters for Tesla? Certainly seemed positive on earnings call.
  • His actions on Twitter to reflect badly on Tesla and hurt SP and possibly car sales.
The volume was so high on Tuesday doesnt that say to us if Elon didnt sell then of course others did in much larger numbers.

Glad today’s sale appears to be somewhat temporary so at least I can feel like less of a…what did @Ohmster call it…dork for my 888 buy on Tuesday.

Definitely not out of the woods. Clear capping and selling pressure started the moment TSLA got close to green and now it's detached from the Nasdaq yet again, being driven further down compared to the Nasdaq continuing to climb. You can always see their "calling card" in the chart. Stock makes a distinct peak followed by a rapid drop and then a flattening of the stock action afterwards.

The entire market is being set up to sell off tomorrow If Apple/Amazon disappoint. You have Apple, Amazon, Google....practically everyone up 4%+ today. This very bearish trading action for TSLA

If you had asked me within the first 2-3 hours of trading on Tuesday, I would have said the trading looked like it could be Elon selling. Watching the trading action since though tells me it's a bear raid. The stock was capped multiple times yesterday around 910 and TSLA detaching from the Nasdaq as soon as it flirted with green today tells me there's continuing market shenanigans.

So now I'm firmly on the side that this is a huge bear raid. We'll find out tonight

We all have collectively hated when short sellers and anti-ev people could post all sorts of FUD about Tesla and EV's. Now Elon is backing that sort of *sugar* and some are celebrating.

I found your comments helpful, thank-you for that. Yet I also find myself disagreeing with your premise, that Elon is 'backing' disinformation, or the spread thereof.

I think Elon is fundamentally a scientist by nature, and he follows the evidence. The 'evidence' is that (who some would call) "low-information voters" were not (and likely never would) switch to EVs at the pace required to avert climate disaster.

Elon's pragmatic move? Align with their politics, emphasizing their 'right-to-be-heard' (many just parrot what they've been told anyway). But in doing so, it disarms a key psychological barrier to even considering an EV, that is the need for 'Group Indentity'. BTW, those drag racers campaigning their Plaid Model S in Baja Alabama are doing more for the cause than we are, collectively).

So, to tell them something new, first we have to be heard. And to be heard, first we have to listen. But that doesn't mean eating a *sugar* based diet. ;)

In a land of free-will, we ultimately have to trust the people to make the right choice, and live with the consequences.

Cheers!