Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most people with a shred of common sense know better than to give the enemy misleading talking points. He should never again complain when he gets attacked and his words are used against him.

You surely have a point. However, we should focus more on the scumbag journalists and editors that generate misleading headlines and stories.

Nevermind, that's probably too much to ask.

Forward Observing

Ford, remembered by me as “fix or repair daily” is suffering from Elon’s initial point in car manufacturing ~ do not build fossil fuel vehicles and EVs in the same company. I say the transition “sucks.” ~ sucks the oxogen out of EV sales. Ford says they are losing thousands of dollars on every EV while doing just fine profit wise with fossil fuels.

The ”for profit media/click bait” will never, ever get it RIGHT. Ford is not losing money, they just are not making a profit. The fossil fuel group are the “golden boy“ of bread and butter. Comparing apples to oranges never works. Nor does mixing oil with water.

Or is it the suckling not wanting to give up mommy (money)?

Money, money is always the problem. Transition to EV is anything but a free ride ~ remember the constant attacks on “burning cash”?

Cheers

The people who refuse to do anything or much to prevent the catastrophe don't need hope. They're already full of hope (with their denial) and they hope not to have anything to do in the short term so they can postpone actual action.
True. But Elon's opinion doesn't matter to these people anyway.

There are people that carry humanity along, and there are barnacles. Those people are barnacles.

On the contrary, I don't see him minimizing it. In fact, just the opposite. I think it *adds* credibility. If he acted like a nutcase, saying the glaciers would all be melted in 3 years, he'd have no leg to stand on.

It's possible to believe in climate change but also not believe that we're doomed in a couple years. What hope would that bring for humanity?
Elon is doing a huge disservice for the cause (Tesla's mission in fact), by responding on the ones who scream "scam" only because they cherry pick the most stupid arguments (to act now).

Saying "yes but" will just reinforce the "scam" part, because the deniers get more credits and the most stupid arguments become more visible.

Yes but when to make the split ? ... . that is the question ... :eek:.... hence the dilemma ....all three Ford units are vying for limited capital ...
This maybe a cliched statement - repeated many times by Elon FSD is not just a feature for a car, it’s a fundamental change in meaning of car as we know now.

Selling FSD would mean taking liability of all accidents the software gets into ( whenever the software is approved). Why will Tesla such a liability for mere $15k?

Car with FSD will probably be used Tesla themselves to run tax rides where $40k Model Y will eventually earn $300k to $500k throughout its life. This value will come down as fleet increases and I think eventually will come down to 10 cents a mile.
10 cents per mile is not much incentive to let your Y out for taxi service. You’d have to do 24,000 miles a year just to cover the FSD subscription at $200/month, which doesn’t leave much for profit, personal use, or other expenses.

On the contrary, I don't see him minimizing it. In fact, just the opposite. I think it *adds* credibility. If he acted like a nutcase, saying the glaciers would all be melted in 3 years, he'd have no leg to stand on.

It's possible to believe in climate change but also not believe that we're doomed in a couple years. What hope would that bring for humanity?
Actually, the more I think about it, the more it makes me sick. He has basically said what the deniers have used for an excuse all these decades - that if it's not affecting me RIGHT NOW, then I don't care.

It's extremely sad and ironic.

Last edited:
Most people with a shred of common sense know better than to give the enemy misleading talking points. He should never again complain when he gets attacked and his words are used against him.
No, most people are nobodies and most of those who are somebodies are overly concerned with what others think. Has nothing to do with common sense.

How about this, most people with a shred of common sense know better than to

a) extrapolate complex thoughts from an off the cuff six word tweet
b) remain invested in a company while constantly complaining about the CEO, including blaming said CEO for hurting the company
c) waste time on someone/something they have no control over

Go ahead. Make my day.

Reads to me as “you think this is bad, well you ain’t seen nothing yet”.
Agreed. As a photonic materials chemist who has spend decades designing solar cells, I have a special appreciation for the fight against climate change. Lately many decisions have been made to lower emissions in unsustainable ways.
Governments and industry are charging down pathways that will reduce emissions 20 or 30% but that are blind alleys beyond that. These short term results won't prevent catastrophic global warming but look good in the short term.
Short termism today brings us closer a time in 50 years when entire regions will suffer temperatures that kill large fractions of animal life (including humans).
There is a very strong case to be made for burning more hydrocarbons today to achieve solutions that speed up the total conversion of our energy infrastructure to renewables and storage.
Musk has made many statements along these lines over the years and Tesla is doing more to implement actually useful solutions to long term climate change than any other company on earth. Ignore the hysteria.

Elon is doing a huge disservice for the cause (Tesla's mission in fact), by responding on the ones who scream "scam" only because they cherry pick the most stupid arguments (to act now).

Saying "yes but" will just reinforce the "scam" part, because the deniers get more credits and the most stupid arguments become more visible.
What even!? You do realize Elon has done more for us than anyone, right? But for some reason you’ve taken away everyone else’s responsibility in the matter and made it; Elon or bust.

You’re as bad as the deniers and the cherry pickers and those who blame victims of crimes for the crimes against them.

I disagree strongly. First, Tesla didn’t sell “many units” initially. The Roadster only sold a few thousand, and the initial run of the Model S was for 20,000 units a year. It wasn’t until Tesla figured out manufacturing efficiency that they were able to sell “many units” with the 3 and Y.

Unlike back then, there is plenty of demand for EVs now. And supposedly the large OEMs should know how to manufacture at scale.

We may yet see GM and Ford make money on their EVs. GM needed to get off the older battery tech in the Bolt, so we’ll see how they fare in 2024 with the Equinox. Ford hasn’t solved the cost issue yet as Lightning sales seem to be being impacted by high prices. Rivian has zero excuses for their crappy profitability as their prices are high and they are selling everything they can make (but their manufacturing ramp is going slow).

I just read that Porsche plans on selling lots of Taycans going forward now that they‘ve supposedly solved their high voltage heater supply issue which held them back. That seems to be a problem that the entire industry, except Tesla, has. Still supply chain.

All I see is one company that has navigated all the problems, while all the other competitors flounder bleeding cash. You can come up with excuses, but that’s the reality now.
Automotive manufacturing, EV or ICE, is perhaps the most difficult business in the world. Every new vehicle requires a massive investment in design, engineering, tooling, factories, etc. And with no promise that any new model will be successful. Even a great car, one with great features and value can fail-for any number of reasons, such as a design that doesn't follow the latest tastes of the public. Any one bad choice can break a company. There were well over 100 auto manufacturers in the US in the 1900s....3 survived, and one of them barely. There is no reason to expect different from new EV companies. The best and brightest will succeed (aka Tesla), many of the rest will fail.

Discuss the actions of the CEO of the company in which they are invested, on a discussion board?
🙄 It’s as far from ‘discussion’ as I am from being a lover of the human race.

I’m about to give you more credit for awareness than I probably should. Not for a second do I think you believe what’s going on here this morning, or what goes on in that other thread has any semblance to ‘discussion’. It’s a bunch of chest beating, he’s a horrible person, and my opinion is what matters.

Last edited: