Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which motley fool came up with that graphic? If its goal is to give you a graphical representation of the relative sizes of the various groupings of money, it's a complete mess/fail. Look at the $2B wafer-thin "services and other" in the bottom right corner. It is dwarfed by several items in size categories like e.g. $335M

So QQQ has 1.2T market cap. I am sure there are other Nasdaq-100 funds that would add to this total.

So Tesla at 4.5% has $54B of this. At 3.4 % it becomes $40.8B.

So they will need to sell about 50M shares to rebalance based on my numbers. Not insignificant but my guess is most of this has been front run based on the down days we saw earlier with all the large tech mega caps.

Still might make for an interesting close today. If you are looking to buy it might make sense to have some low limit orders in place as the stock price could get volatile.

Last edited:
So QQQ has 1.2T market cap. I am sure there are other Nasdaq-100 funds that would add to this total.

So Tesla at 4.5% has $54B of this. At 3.4 % it becomes $40.8B.

So they will need to sell about 50M shares to rebalance based on my numbers. Not insignificant but my guess is most of this has been front run based on the down days we saw earlier with all the large tech mega caps.

Still might make for an interesting close today. If you are looking to buy it might make sense to have some low limit orders in place as the stock price could get volatile.
I am seeing 200b market cap, where did you get 1.2 trillion?

Also I believe all the shares are rebalanced off market and it doesn't work as one expect. Nvidia is suppose to be more affected and yet we see their shares gone up/flat since the announcement. Amd is suppose to gain from the rebalance has seen sp drop since announcement.

Rob Maurer seems to have made a rare mistake concentrating on the "other income (expense), net" line where foreign exchange on intercompany transfers has yielded a £328M one-off positive. He should have looked at total foreign exchange movement consequencies on results, this is a one-off negative on profitability due to a "negative FX impact of $0.6B" on revenue.

For the last four quarters there has been a negative FX impact on revenue, totalling over £2.8B. Over the long run I would expect this to mostly even out (in percentage of revenue term) so over future quarters it may be that there is an even greater positive of FX on revenues.

I am seeing 200b market cap, where did you get 1.2 trillion?

Also I believe all the shares are rebalanced off market and it doesn't work as one expect. Nvidia is suppose to be more affected and yet we see their shares gone up/flat since the announcement. Amd is suppose to gain from the rebalance has seen sp drop since announcement.

Sorry, yes you are correct. I got confused by the Invesco website.

So at 200B market cap this translates to selling 8 million shares. Probably will not have a large effect.

Reactions: JusRelax
Rob Maurer seems to have made a rare mistake concentrating on the "other income (expense), net" line where foreign exchange on intercompany transfers has yielded a £328M one-off positive. He should have looked at total foreign exchange movement consequencies on results, this is a one-off negative on profitability due to a "negative FX impact of $0.6B" on revenue.

For the last four quarters there has been a negative FX impact on revenue, totalling over £2.8B. Over the long run I would expect this to mostly even out (in percentage of revenue term) so over future quarters it may be that there is an even greater positive of FX on revenues.

Where is the error you think Rob is making? Tesla has currency impacts every single quarter on its operations, but this the first time Tesla has recorded a large benefit from an “inter company transfer” which is indeed rather unusual.

1689952520172.png

Down we go again. It's like deja vu all over again.

Impressive dump in the 1st 13 min of the Main session... you'd think the "alternative uptick rule" had been gutted by SEC Reg 201a... :p

TSLA.2023-07-21.10-35.Lo.png

... and that Options Market Makers were short selling shares they don't own because THEY HAVE A EXEMPTION TO THE RULE AGAINST NAKED SHORTING.

#SEC #UPYOURTRICK

Media (in Brazil): "Why people don't trust us"

Also Media (in Brazil): "The Brazilian WEG entered in a partnership with a project from Elon Musk to supply motors"

The truth, SpaceX bought 4 air compressors from another company that happens to use WEG motors, that's it, and to make it worse the motors aren't even made here, but in India

I hate those guys, I have a really good friend that is a journalist and let's say the conversation always get heated lol

I remember when Elon came to Brazil a while ago, mostly to deliver Starlink to some remote schools and there were more than a few saying Tesla was starting a factory here

I think this general point is correct, and not that unusual for a battery cell production ramp

I am unaware of the status of recycling, they do have recycling at GF Nevada and might simply ship cells there.

Recycling can recover up to 90% of the raw materials, there is a cost to recycling, but it still cheaper than buying new

The maths of trying to calculate the yield from the cogs and scrap rate reductions is tricky.

For example, when a cell is faulty it needs to be manufactured twice, but if the raw materials are recycled in theory they they cost less second time around.

But in particular we don't know why poor yields happen, perhaps production machinery drifts out of tolerance, there are bad batches of raw materials, or staff need more training, etc.

Some of the problems causing poor yields might cause production shutdowns while the problem is diagnosed and corrected. In that case the hit to cogs blows out because machinery/workers are idle or not producing at the peak rate.

Stopping and correcting yield issues ASAP is actually the faster path in the long run.

IMO the yields might not be as bad as you suggest, simply because they are stopping more frequently.

Assume a pack needs 1,000 cells we make 1,000 per production run with a 50% yield there are 500 good cells and 500 bad cells.
A second production run of 1,000 makes 500 good cells, the cost is 2X production.

If we improve yield 20% to 60% we initially make 600 good, 400 bad.
Then on the second run we make 600 good and 400 bad by we only need 400, cost is 1.66X - Cogs improvement is 16.5%.

If we improve yield an additional 20% (40% overall) to 70%, we initially make 700 good cells and 300 bad.
We need 300 good cells out of the second run of 700 good cells - 1.42X- Cogs improvement is 29%

We need someone with better maths skills to settle the debate.
4680 represents a big risk to TSLA right now. They've been working on it for years and haven't got it figured out. At some point, you need to consider the possibility that it won't (and will never) work. If that happens, CT and Semi get pushed back a year or two ... not the end of the world but it'll hurt and we become reliant on Chinese battery makers for the foreseeable future.