Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Others have debunked this ridiculous theory many times just based on Elon's TSLA holdings but one useful thing Adam Jonas did on his infamous conference call yesterday was throw ice cold water all over this BS theory from a different angle.

He explained that Elon could potentially secure a loan against his SpaceX shares, which are currently worth about $16-17 billion (54% of $32B market cap). The discussion was in the context of Elon potentially taking TSLA private, but he could do the same thing if he ever was at risk of a margin call.

Jonas was throwing around numbers like $12 billion as an example.

The "margin call" theory is just sheer, unadulterated BS meant to scare investors. The smarter shorts realize the problem for them is that Elon's SpaceX shares are basically an insurance policy that would prevent Tesla from ever becoming a zero. He could take Tesla private, or just start buying up shares on the open market, which would drive the SP up.

That's probably one reason (along with good old fashioned character assassination), that smartish shorts like Jim Chanos are always taking potshots at SpaceX and the Boring Company, which are private companies they can't short. The deeper Elon's pockets, the more firepower he can deploy if needed. And SpaceX stock has increased about 45% per year on average, so he could have significantly more firepower in the coming years.

Starlink, IMHO, has the potential to be a giant cash cow.... $30b in revenues when it's up and running with easily 60%+ profit margin.

One puts go that deep in the money, there isn't much time value left, and it may actually have been optimal (after transaction costs) to assign the put and sell the shares. Some brokers don't charge of put assigning but do charge a lot more for option sales than stock sales.

i don’t get what you are saying...

you can’t assign your own put. you get assigned. if your Put is OTM it’s unlikely you’ll be assigned, unless it was a mistake on the exercise-side. or if it’s really close and the exercisers cost basis is worth more than how far OTM the put is when they exercised.

for a DITM put like the poster explained, like 350-400p well then you have a good chance of being assigned before expiration date.

Put sellers are taking profits. Its a sign that at least some bears may think the bottom is near. It would actually be a semi-bullish thing if it were happening across the board and not just to one person.

you mean call sellers? calls have come down in price dramatically. so closing out short call positions is that sign you suggested.

by that rationale (bottom being near you suggested) now is the time to be selling OTM puts, to capture high premium..closing them out later at higher stock prices

Actually, Tesla already has a COO-like figure: Jerome. He handles a lot of operations, like @DaveT said. He's the kind of guy that could speak more to the press and be more public/vocal.
I think this is just Elon that doesn't want his spotlight to be taken...

I have a theory that the reason Elon is crazy about autopilot right now, because he can't micromanage production anymore with Jerome being the Cesar of vehicle production. Jerome essentially saved the model 3 ramp and I guess he can say no to Elon because of that.

Great if true, maybe just my wishful thinking.

Let's be fair, a significant part of the Q2 sales will be from Q1 demand put on a vessel too late.
...and Q2 sales of Model 3 will still be higher than Q1 even when you account for that....and the spillover of Q2 production into Q3 will likely be even greater due to a higher Model 3 production rate! Seemingly expanding production from ~5k/week in late Q4 to ~7k/week at the end of this quarter means demand has gone down?

With more and more price drops demand may be matched to supply more or less
SR+ is $4.4k more than the $35k car that was initially expected, and with a starting price of $2.4k more than when it was first introduced in February. Admittedly autopilot is now included, but the base price is higher than it used to be, so I'm not seeing "more and more price drops" on the Model 3, but quite the opposite at the low end.

The Apple stock app took all the Elon email headlines off the story stack under the stock symbol.

Again, if you don’t think there is manipulation of Tesla information to the public on Apple app, you’re living in FUD cave. (I’m looking at you Gerber)

Word of advice to Apple:

Stay out of the manipulation of information business.

Delete stocks app and News app. Bad for the brand and future outlook real quick...

Starlink, IMHO, has the potential to be a giant cash cow.... $30b in revenues when it's up and running with easily 60%+ profit margin.

Definitely. And you'll see TSLA shorts nervously pretending it's fake or a fraud or whatever because they know that the more resources Elon has the more formidable of an opponent he is.

Also, it's just awkward to have him keep doing all these amazing things while they're trying to convince the world that he is a huckster and a fraud.

I don't think A
The Apple stock app took all the Elon email headlines off the story stack under the stock symbol.

Again, if you don’t think there is manipulation of Tesla information to the public on Apple app, you’re living in FUD cave. (I’m looking at you Gerber)

Word of advice to Apple:

Stay out of the manipulation of information business.

Delete stocks app and News app. Bad for the brand and future outlook real quick...

I don't think App is manipulating, but the algo and how the feed picks up articles might be.

No one was complaining about last week's leaked email about tightening spending ...

I don't think that one explicitly violated the settlement though. It didn't really have any figures - it was just math and extrapolation.

SEC settlement specifically calls out ANY written communication about order or production volume.

This email, if not approved by Tesla's counsel, violates that agreement.

Definitely. And you'll see TSLA shorts nervously pretending it's fake or a fraud or whatever because they know that the more resources Elon has the more formidable of an opponent he is.

Also, it's just awkward to have him keep doing all these amazing things while they're trying to convince the world that he is a huckster and a fraud.

Starlink will also have the lowest latency (by a large margin) over long distances of any network... It would be funny if Musk set up his own investment bank (Starbank?) as an FU to Wall St and started front-running/arb-trading every international trade... Imagine the whining from the spiegel types.

Not that much.

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019 Investors' Roundtable

If we use the numbers from that post, moving from 63k to 78k production nets us $380 less in allocated fixed cost. That is good for 0.7% margin on an ASP of $52k. So, if the margin goes up from 20.3% to 21%, it makes a difference of about $50m in p&l. So, still a loss of $200M.

We are ignoring here the whole FCA payment that went into the margin in Q1. We don't expect a repeat in Q2, right ? Obviously that makes a bigger difference than this 0.7% and we get a margin of less than 20%.

How much SG&A reduction are you counting on this quarter now that severance costs are past, and any other results of the cost-savings push started in Q1?

OT, just a little aside about the power of FUD, CNBC, etc.

Earlier this week I visited some franchise auto dealerships in New Mexico. One meeting, with a general manager of a huge Ford dealership, a long-time, old-time car guy, been in the business his whole adult life, going back into the 1970s, I heard the most amazing FUD about Tesla.

I hear this kind of FUD a lot, interviewing auto dealers. They really have the act down well. They're born liars, and they can't help themselves once they're on a roll. They actively scoop up what they read and hear about Tesla in the media, and, my theory anyway: they amplify the fearmongering to reassure themselves that everything's fine and the status quo that is their little ICE franchise dealership bubble will continue happily into the distant future.

From memory the conversation started out something like this, upon my asking him about Tesla.

The general manager leaned forward from his fancy leather chair behind his fancy wood desk. "Listen," he said in a hushed tone to me, like he was letting me in on a secret, "Tesla announced their fourth-quarter earnings yesterday [sic] [as in, yes, that is really what he told me], and it's all over. Sales are down, demand is gone, and they're in massive debt."

I just sat there, I mean, to interrupt him, to correct him while he's on such a roll? that would just spoil things.

"You know who Phil Lebeau is?" he then asked me.

"Sure."

"Now well HE is an expert -- you oughta interview him! I was watching CNBC this morning--I watch it every day!--and they had Phil Lebeau on and Tesla's finished! They're going down the tubes! They had another guy on, big firm, real expert, can't remember the firm name---"

"--Adam Jonas of Morgan Stanley probably," I said.

"Yeah, Morgan Stanley! Right! And he was saying the stock is going to $10 a share. Tesla makes nice cars, I never been in one but they're nice cars, but they're finished. They'll be gone soon. It's all over for Tesla."

On and on it went for the next ten minutes about how convinced he was that Tesla is toast--and his source for this information is what he hears on CNBC.

I tell ya, it was like this general manager had suddenly turned into Gordon Gekko. I imagined myself sitting there with him prancing around his office, telling me:

"The point is, ladies and gentleman, that FUD--for lack of a better word--is good. FUD is right. FUD works. FUD clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. FUD, in all of its forms--FUD for life, for money, for love, knowledge--has marked the upward surge of mankind. And FUD--you mark my words--will not only save Ford Motor Company, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA."

Last edited:
I don't think A

I don't think App is manipulating, but the algo and how the feed picks up articles might be.
The Apple stocks app has done this from the very beginning. Someone posted here that the new iOS12 would change that. It’s only gotten worse.

There is a lot of content out there on Tesla other than Business Insider, CNBC, and Fox Business.

How is it that South China Sea news organization gets Tesla articles printed, but never Greentech media, inside Evs, or cleantech, etc.. never see the stream?

Day in and day out, the same thing happens on the Apple app. No change.

This is not about manipulating it to positive either.

Manipulation either way is a huge problem.

It’s about printing articles related to Tesla that come across the internet. That’s truly a valuable stock app. That doesn’t hurt Apple brand. It reinforces it.

If I understand correctly, they basically started this quarter with 10K units that were in transit. So to reach 90K, they just need to deliver an extra 80K. So if that leaked email is correct, they would be closer to 100K this quarter than 90K.

Tesla shares bounce on leaked memo about rising sales

sorry if posted already...

Shares of Tesla, suffering one of the worst stretches in company history, rebounded Thursday after CEO Elon Musk told employees that orders are up.

The gyrations Thursday were indicators of a volatile day for the shares, which have shed about 60% of their value in three weeks and are trading at the lowest levels since late 2016.

Musk told employees in a memo late Wednesday that the company had over 50,000 net new orders so far this quarter, and that based on current trends, Tesla Inc. has a chance of exceeding the record 90,700 deliveries set in the fourth quarter of last year. The memo was circulating on the internet and confirmed as authentic by a person with knowledge of its origin. The person didn't want to be identified because the memo was confidential.

Stock in the Palo Alto, California, company fell 3% after the opening bell but then rebounded within an hour. It leveled off by mid-morning and was trading was trading up slightly at $193.33.

Shares were under significant pressure early after Morgan Stanley analyst Adam Jonas told investors on a private call Wednesday that demand for Tesla's cars was lower than predicted. He says if it continues into next year then Tesla will become a restructuring story. A recording of the call was obtained by The Associated Press.

Jonas also says that Tesla has 49,000 employees and is the size of a company that sells a million vehicles per year. Last year it sold 245,000.

Musk's memo said the company needs to sustain production of 1,000 Model 3s each day, something that the company has done multiple days.