Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LOL!! "BMW has steadily trailed Mercedes, squandered EV head-start"

Is that their benchmark for EV's? No mention of Tesla in the article (although I skimmed it very quickly), and you can bet 100% that Tesla caused the demise of this CEO.

“...which consistently trailed Mercedes-Benz in sales while ceding the mantle of automotive innovator to Tesla Inc.

so a review of the e-tron (found from @alex_avoigt)
Der Audi e-tron - gut, aber noch nicht gut genug • emobly

I don't read german, but according to google translate the reviewer observed 23.3 KWh/100km @ 72 km/h. Or, being metricly challenged, translated to terms I can relate to: 375 Wh/mi @ 45 mph.

Yep, that's the e-turd. Limping along at 45 from 100% full to drained would only be ~228 miles.

Then the reviewer gives the rates for 130 km/h which works out to 530 Wh/mi @ 80 mph. That's a reasonable cruising speed with a theoretical range of 162 miles.

Finally, after discussing range the article says, "Teslas Model X schlägt Audi so sicher nicht." Again, I don't know German, but google says that means "Tesla Model X does not beat Audi so sure" which leaves me scratching my head. Surely the reviewer means that the Model X beats the socks off the Audi?

Or does the Model X consume more than 530 Wh/mi at those speeds?

Really wish there was a way to contact the author of this article:

The 6 main differences between buying a Tesla and buying a car from other brands

He seems to be making an actual attempt at fairness but is woefully mistaken about how charging an EV works, between suggesting that a nearby supercharger is a must-have, to being apparently unaware of the enormous difference in cost between charging at home and getting gas, to being unaware a simple 220V dryer plug works just fine for a full charge overnight. None of it seems malicious, just ignorant.

OT
With all due respect folks (and I sincerely have a lot of respect for the people posting regularly here).
The signal to noise ratio is horrible for this thread.
This is not the moderators' responsibility.
It's like herding cats. ;)

Questions to ask yourself.
Does it need to be said here?
Is it better said elsewhere?
Do you really need to post that OT reply?

My 2 cents.
Thanks.
Unfortunately one's noise is another's signal.

I think the best way to solve this is to clearly mention (during market hours atleast) - whether it is market action related or not. There are tags for the thread - but nothing for every post - otherwise an easy thing to do is to ask the posters to tag every post as either short term market action related or not.

So, may be just use these in the beginning of the post. Makes it much easier to skim.

MA : (for market action)
FSD : (all fsd, robotaxi related)
OT : (for others)

ps : a couple of days back one of my posts was removed because it was about ev-cpo inventory numbers, which has been a useful signal in figuring out pre-Raven s/x inventory status, for eg.

Reactions: neroden
LOL!! "BMW has steadily trailed Mercedes, squandered EV head-start"

Is that their benchmark for EV's? No mention of Tesla in the article (although I skimmed it very quickly), and you can bet 100% that Tesla caused the demise of this CEO.
On the contrary, there was this:

"Zipse will succeed Harald Krueger, 53, who stepped down after four years following struggles to set a course for the German luxury-car maker, which consistently trailed Mercedes-Benz in sales while ceding the mantle of automotive innovator to Tesla Inc."

The author (and therefore Bloomberg) just acknowledged Tesla as the best. :D

The 6 main differences between buying a Tesla and buying a car from other brands

He seems to be making an actual attempt at fairness but is woefully mistaken about how charging an EV works, between suggesting that a nearby supercharger is a must-have, to being apparently unaware of the enormous difference in cost between charging at home and getting gas, to being unaware a simple 220V dryer plug works just fine for a full charge overnight. None of it seems malicious, just ignorant.

When it comes to the relative cost of "fuel" I like what I call "MPG dollar equivalency" -- which is the mpg a gasoline car would require to reach cost parity with my Tesla.

$/g ÷ ($/kWh × kWh/mi) yields mpg

I just did this for my M3MR:
$/g --> $2.65
$/kWh --> $0.089
kWh/mi --> 0.269 (average for last seven months, how long I've had the car, arctic cold was no fun)​

This yields 110 mpg. I find that this helps people understand the fuel efficiency. You can use the MPGe (mpg equivalent), but folks I've encountered think that's just a gimmick and explaining it is too geeky. But if you say, "this is what I pay for fuel" -- that they understand. Your mileage may vary :p

But if you say, "this is what I pay for fuel" -- that they understand.
$25/month.

That is what my electricity costs to fuel the car - it always startles people into thinking.

(at one time I had $125/month lease too and the combination was insanely good, even for a 100 mile range car. Half my team bought Leafs).

I don't read german, but according to google translate the reviewer observed 23.3 KWh/100km @ 72 km/h. Or, being metricly challenged, translated to terms I can relate to: 375 Wh/mi @ 45 mph.

Yep, that's the e-turd. Limping along at 45 from 100% full to drained would only be ~228 miles.

Then the reviewer gives the rates for 130 km/h which works out to 530 Wh/mi @ 80 mph. That's a reasonable cruising speed with a theoretical range of 162 miles.

Finally, after discussing range the article says, "Teslas Model X schlägt Audi so sicher nicht." Again, I don't know German, but google says that means "Tesla Model X does not beat Audi so sure" which leaves me scratching my head. Surely the reviewer means that the Model X beats the socks off the Audi?

The quote you cited actually translates to ‘Audi surely does not beat the Model X this way’ - as you noted, the efficiency is quite embarrassing.

The author finishes the review by saying: ‘I’m convinced that e-tron GT will be better. It will have lower air resistance and the technology of the Porsche Taycan - that way, it will be able to truly rival Tesla. With the e-tron SUV this is not possible, unfortunately.’

Shocker! A mainstream article about electric vehicles written by someone who know nothing about them. Garbage bin!

Shocker! A mainstream article about electric vehicles written by someone who know nothing about them. Garbage bin!
I find it interesting that the idea of charging at home is one of the most difficult concepts for ICE drivers to wrap their heads around. To them, it’s the equivalent of magic elves topping off the tank overnight.

If I were designing ads for an EV, THAT’S the point I would try to get across (driver disconnects charger, get in car, display shows 100% charge, he/she smiles, heads to work).

Tesla cars will probably move further away from that base model 3 price of US $35'000. if Musk carries through with his business plans of keeping most of his cars for use as RoboTaxis's. It's estimated one car can earn as much as $300'000 in the time frame of it's drivability usefulness. You can read the full article on the Electrek website.
Read the article online. Musk tweeted he is leaning toward this business model.

That's just a Google Translate fail. The author actually says: "with that, Audi is surely not beating Tesla's Model X"-

So there's a new v3 supercharger, and it's in Vegas! I love that it's using Tesla solar panels and Tesla Powerwalls too!
Those aren't Powerwalls. They look more like Powerpacks.

snapshot.V3-Vegas.jpg

Telsa rates this site for 1,500 charge sessions per day. That's approx. 75 MWh of energy per day, based on avg 50 KWh per session. For comparison, the Hornsdale Power Reserve 'Big Battery' in S. Australia has 129 MWh capacity. So its BIG.

So even a Powerpack array will likely be for peak shaving and load balancing while still connected to the grid. They could really use Megapack. :D

Cheers!